HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 4:54 PM

An interesting comparison of Winnipeg and Buffalo (a US city that definitely "gets no respect"):

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=205872

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 4:57 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
My experience has been slightly different, but maybe it has some of the same characteristics. Most people I talk to who ask "why are you going there!" then say they lived in Winnipeg.

Then it turns out they actually either lived in some small town outside of the city, or in the far suburban communities. I think the crime issues downtown, although significantly cleaned up, left their mark on people who normally would never go downtown.
I would agree with your assessment. However, a lot of the negative comments tend to be from people who don't know or who never travel. My first trip to Toronto I was mugged near Bay Street. I have lived in Winnipeg for 40 years, lived and worked DT and haven't been a victim of that type of crime- yet. My last 3 trips to Ottawa there has been a murder/shooting in Byward market. My point is that Winnipeg has long had a long rap and it comes from people who are just clueless. But no doubt the crime factor has been far-reaching in terms of how other Canadians view Winnipeg.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 5:01 PM

Edmonton, Hamilton.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 5:02 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Perhaps relevant:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...ipeg-1.4181194
Winnipeg's mosquito count lowest in 40 years

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 5:20 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Molson, I can't believe you missed the most obvious disrespected Canadian city of them all:

My brain is foggy from reading the insane arguments put forth by the pro-trump camp and apologists for the Tronald.

Momentary lapse of reason on my part. I am remiss for not mentioning Laval (and Longueuil), and Hamilton.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 5:25 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I think that's where they store the bodies.

That or it's Eddy Savoie's laboratory where he dreams up new Frankenstein monsters.

'sti!

jdemont

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 5:29 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
I dunno.. Surrey takes its share of hits to the face. PG's a rough & tumble northern city, but I don't know if it's the butt of everyone's jokes as much as Surrey is
Of course you are right. Heck, I worked 4 years in the worst part of Surrey (Whalley).

There was even a popular mock song (one of Bob & Dean's twisted tunes) played daily on the radio: "OOOOHHH, what a Surreyman.....He was!"

Quote:
11. Surrey Man [*****]

Parody of Emerson, Lake & Palmer's "Lucky Man" with lyrics by Ben. Ben sings and plays guitar & drums; Rob plays bass; Gary does his best Keith Emerson impression with a Mini-Moog (?). This one is still funny, because Surrey men live in the slums and have such hard lives. And Ben just felt inclined to make a song about those kind of men: bad health, broken down cars, tattoos, the unability to find a girlfriend and unemployment.
http://rateyourmusic.com/release/alb..._radar_sucks_/

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

'sti!
Elvis Gratton is more Longueuil than Laval, surely you knew that already...

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 5:49 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Elvis Gratton is more Longueuil than Laval, surely you knew that already...
Ben Ouais, avec sa coupe Longueuil.

canald

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 5:52 PM
Montérégien

Quote:
Ben Ouais, avec sa coupe Longueuil.

canald
Yeah, Longueuil is SO famous!
Google is very generous about Longueuil...

Google Images.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 5:52 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
*blank stare*

Well, I guess I have an image of Laval now. Um, thanks?
Anytime. Come visit the Ugly Canada thread.

www.behance.net/OlivierGraham

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 7:12 PM
Moran supreme

I would say that Okotoks easily qualifies, they did it to themselves with their new catch phrase.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 7:13 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Is it a major city. I mean, I know there are lots of things to do in Okotoks, and I am sure it has a dynamic economy and a can-do attitude...

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 7:43 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Is it a major city. I mean, I know there are lots of things to do in Okotoks, and I am sure it has a dynamic economy and a can-do attitude...

So what of Drummondville or Prince George - are they major cities now?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 7:45 PM
Made in Edmonton

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Out west, it's the ugly stepchild known as Edmonton, no doubt
You might be talking about Edmonton 20 years ago!! Obviously not the same city anymore.

Coming from a guy who lives in Edmonton and hates it. But loves his neighbourhood in Edmonton!!!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 7:54 PM
HVAC guru

^ you're living in a fool's paradise Black Star! Otherwise known as Edmonton

That's a good one.. changed my sig!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 8:03 PM

On a national scale, I gotta hand it to Winnipeg. Even heading back there with one-way tickets due to extended stays, the airport staff always apologize for sending me there.

But I will say that Surrey, BC also gets its fair share of no respect. Personally I think that will change but who knows, someone has gotta be the butt of the jokes in Metro Van.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 8:07 PM

Surrey seems to be both the Oshawa and the Brampton of the GVRD.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 8:53 PM

For large cities I would have to say without reservation, Edmonton.

Edmonton has a slew of nicknames.......Edmonotone, Deadmonton and as Klein once said of the city "Edmonton is not the end of the world but you can see it from there." Some say Winnipeg but although it's weather is made fun of it still has a rather endearing nature of The Peg.

For mid-sized cities I would have to say Kitchener. A large centre and Waterlou certainly has a high tech reputation but when people say Kitchner everyone draws a blank. It's totally overshawdowed but it's much smaller neighbour that has all the high-tech and universities. To most people Kitchener is that suburban sprawl you have to drive thru to get to Waterlou much like New Brunswick is the province you have to drive thru to get to Halifax.

For suburban cities I would say Surrey takes that dubious prize and is the butt of jokes such as: What does a Surrey girl call safe sex?.......a bus shelter. What's the first thing a Surrey girl says when she wakes up?.........so, what team do you guys play for? What do you get when you cross a criminal, a drug dealer, and prostitute?..........Whalley. What's the only good thing about living in Richmond?........never having to say your Surrey.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 9:17 PM

How about Ottawa?..I'm surprised it didn't make this cut. See it's disrespected so much that it's forgotten!

Wasn't it coined as "The city that fun forgot" by then Toronto mayor Mel Lastman.
It is a federal government town, so by default Ottawa should have a target on it's back.

Ottawa wants to be noticed and have the same level of disrespect as Winnipeg..It wants to have some Rodney as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada