HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 12:01 PM

Google Street View in Salt Lake has been updated!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 5:24 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I was just traveling south on Google, down 200 West. So many great development opportunities there. Future Mayor, have you checked into 200 W., along the TRAX Line? I imagine you have your feelers out there. Probably everything has already been snatched up at this point.

Are the proposals to take down the 9th S. viaducts still receiving serious consideration?
I realize this question was posed way back in August, and I'm currently only on Page 8 of the new thread as I attempt to catch up. I wasn't going to comment on anything older than a week or two while catching up but since this was directly asked to me I figured I would.

I have my eye on a few parcels in the neighborhood, I have reached out to several property owners and am trying to put several together for a project. I have pitched the idea to investors, they are on board with the concept, I simply need to get the property owners to say yes to selling.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 10:34 PM

Building 222s

Looks like building 222s main had a major flood today. Big enough to have two emergency companies working it. Looked like Alpine and Double Take were working it. Anyone who has had a flood at their house knows the process with Insurance. Good luck with that!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 10:38 PM

Held Property’s was a big proposal and the Richie project is taking steps forward. I figured you went silent and were making plans for a run at some political or city office. Good to have an insider back with great insight.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2017, 3:13 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I realize this question was posed way back in August, and I'm currently only on Page 8 of the new thread as I attempt to catch up. I wasn't going to comment on anything older than a week or two while catching up but since this was directly asked to me I figured I would.

I have my eye on a few parcels in the neighborhood, I have reached out to several property owners and am trying to put several together for a project. I have pitched the idea to investors, they are on board with the concept, I simply need to get the property owners to say yes to selling.
Glad you weren’t dead.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 3:51 PM

Yes, very good to have you back Future Mayor. Hopefully you'll stay around for a while.

just a little reboot Downtown - Pickle Building Renovation

Isaac Riddle Reports - Full Article @ https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/dev...ng-renovation/

Michael Ori, the owner of Studio Elevn a film production and creative coworking company, has released renderings and site plans for his company’s plans to redevelopment the Pickle Building and adjacent Hide Building into a 1.5-acre, energy-efficient, creative campus for the local arts community.

The Salt Lake City Office of Economic Development selected Ori’s project as its submission for the Vote Your Main Street sweepstakes. Salt Lake City is own of 25 cities competing for a piece of a $2 million grant from the Partners in Preservation, a collaboration with the National Trust for Historic Preservation, American Express, National Geophric and Main Street America...

The historic Utah Pickle Building as seen from 400 West. Photo by Isaac Riddle.

Aerial rendering of the proposed Pickle Building redevelopment. Image courtesy Studio Elevn.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
Looks like building 222s main had a major flood today. Big enough to have two emergency companies working it. Looked like Alpine and Double Take were working it. Anyone who has had a flood at their house knows the process with Insurance. Good luck with that!
A water main on the 5th floor broke and caused quite a bit of damage to everything below that. There was a bunch of water damage to the stairwells so the building will be closed until after Christmas because they won't be able to have two stairwells open for evacuation purposes in the event of an emergency. They are allowing people in the building to retrieve personal items. Here are a couple pictures I snapped of the lobby yesterday.

[IMG] by , on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG] by , on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 1:37 AM

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 11:20 PM

This article regarding The Gateway states that Dave & Busters is slated to open in April, 2018.

Vestar didn’t retain stores like Hollister and Dick’s Sporting Goods. It also ripped out the mall's traditional food court, replacing it with arcade-restaurant franchise Dave & Busters — slated to open in April 2018.

MidiCi The Neapolitan Pizza Company is also expected to open in April 2018, and La Barba Coffee will open a location in the center, Trott added. The eateries will be added to a slew of restaurants already established in an area Trott referred to as “restaurant row.”

With residential growth happening around the property, Vestar opted for white-collar companies over traditional retail at The Gateway. The Internal Revenue Service announced it had officially moved its Taxpayer Assistance Center to The Gateway on Dec. 5.

Recursion Pharmaceuticals is also set to move to the aforementioned Dick’s Sporting Goods building, located across the street from Vivint Arena. The building has been vacant for nearly a year.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46220005&nid=148

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 5:03 AM
Ironweed

All I Want For Christmas Is My two 600 Footers

http://www.cnn.com/style/article/201...oom/index.html

So, Another year in SLC without a Skyscraper. Will SLC ever get one? Ever? (500 ft+)

Draper, and Sandy have elected no growth mayors. Hopefully, this along with the up and coming real estate development opps for the city will finally usher in a real tower or two.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 7:08 PM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
So, Another year in SLC without a Skyscraper. Will SLC ever get one? Ever? (500 ft+)
While I would love a bunch of 250ft towers (the more the merrier), I dread the day we get a 500+ footer. The new tower will dwarf the skyline and make SLC look like a tiny town with just one building, whereas a sea of midrises make the city look a bit more urban.

Quote:
MidiCi The Neapolitan Pizza Company
There is one of these open at University Place in Orem. Tasty but pricey. Haven't been back, though I have little to complain about except for price.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
While I would love a bunch of 250ft towers (the more the merrier), I dread the day we get a 500+ footer. The new tower will dwarf the skyline and make SLC look like a tiny town with just one building, whereas a sea of midrises make the city look a bit more urban.

There is one of these open at University Place in Orem. Tasty but pricey. Haven't been back, though I have little to complain about except for price.
I totally agree. I hardly care at all about getting buildings much higher than they are now. I would take numerous shorter buildings over a few high ones. In fact I think the shorter building are more conducive it is, usually, to a healthier urban environment.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 7:47 PM

Those two things usually go hand-in-hand. If we get one 500-600ft building, it means we're probably getting smaller skyscrapers too. Getting one big tower like that would not necessarily mean the momentum for the steady skyscraper infill we've been experiencing would suddenly end.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 12:24 AM

A 500 foot tower would not throw the balance of the skyline at all unless it was at an extreme edge of the city, the Wells Fargo building is about 100ft taller then 222s main but the difference seems far less then you would think. 600ft would be pushing it. But 500-550 would fit nicely.

Last edited by Utah_Dave; Dec 21, 2017 at 11:57 PM.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 1:32 AM

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 4:58 AM

This Just In

Utah continued to grow well above the national average, though slipping to 3rd place at 1.9%. With Nevada at 2.0% and Idaho at 2.2%, the Intermountain West continues to lead as the nation’s growth belt.

From the Trib:

Quote:
“Most of Utah’s growth came from “natural increase,” meaning births outpaced deaths. That boom created 61 percent of the state’s new population. Immigration — primarily people moving around within the country — contributed to the remainder as a healthy economy attracted new job seekers.”
They do mention later in the article that state-collected data shows the natural increase to be at 54%. Either way, the share of population increase comprised of natural increase has fallen from its historical average of 66% (either by 5% or 12% depending on which model you look at.)

More from the article:

Quote:
“The state ranked No. 1 for its population rate just last year, increasing then by 2.03 percent. In fact, Utah has been in the top 10 for its growth rate every year so far this decade.

It was beat out by Idaho and Nevada for 2017 as those states saw bigger increases in “domestic migration,” said Luke Rogers, chief of the U.S. Census Bureau’s population estimates branch. Utah had an estimated 17,568 people move inside its boundaries from other states and 5,019 from other

Taken together, the populations of Western states expanded by 1 percent and now contain nearly a quarter of the nation’s residents. Perlich says the intermountain region is “a hotspot” that draws people with job opportunities and retirement getaways.

The country overall grew by more than 2 million people, for a 0.7 percent increase in population. The population for the United States is now 325,719,178.

Unlike the eight states that lost residents, including Hawaii, Alaska and West Virginia, Perlich believes Utah’s boom is “very sustainable, manageable [and] steady.”
Utah Historical Population (Since latest census):

2017: 3.101.833 (+57,512)
2016: 3.044.321 (+59,404)
2015: 2.984.917 (+46,246)
2014: 2.938.671 (+38,710)
2013: 2.899.961 (+45,739)
2012: 2.854.222 (+38,792)
2011: 2.815.430 (+40,170)
2010: 2.775.260 (Dec)
Base: 2.763.889 (April)

Total Increase since estimates base: +337,944; +12.23%
Average over past 7.67 years: +44,060; +1.60%

Utah is on track to surpass Iowa next year. This would allow the state to claim the 30th most populous rank, pushing it closer to the national median.

Last edited by (Eco)nomy_404; Dec 21, 2017 at 10:07 AM.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 7:30 AM

I hope that Utah can shift some of its economic outlooks away from the assumption that our population is going to keep exploding. It is incredibly rare for a highly developed entity like Utah to maintain such a high birth rate (until last year, Utah had a similar total fertility to India, matched with one of the lowest death rates in the United States, both as a result of low cancer mortality and obesity rates and a younger population). Eventually demographic transition is going to catch up and people are going to want to stop having kids.

So no, I don't believe Utah's boom is "sustainable".

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
A 500 foot tower would not throw the balance of the skyline at all unless it was at an extreme edge of the city, the Wells Fargo building is about 100ft taller then 222s main but the difference seems far less then you would think. 600ft would be picking it. 500-550 would fit nicely
I was thinking the same thing Utah Dave. A tower in the 500 foot range would make for an attractive transition to a taller skyline. I would like to see three or four around 500 feet, and then start thinking about 600-plus, once the 500 foot range is established.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
I hope that Utah can shift some of its economic outlooks away from the assumption that our population is going to keep exploding. It is incredibly rare for a highly developed entity like Utah to maintain such a high birth rate (until last year, Utah had a similar total fertility to India, matched with one of the lowest death rates in the United States, both as a result of low cancer mortality and obesity rates and a younger population). Eventually demographic transition is going to catch up and people are going to want to stop having kids.

So no, I don't believe Utah's boom is "sustainable".
I think he was referring to Utah having a stable, sustainable growth outlook compared to other states currently losing population (like Wyoming or North Dakota). ND, for example , reached its current population in the 1930’s, having any gains eventually eaten away since then. WY has had growth more consistent than ND, but even there it can be volatile. For example, that state saw stagnant growth from 1960 to 1970, then boomed 40% from 1970 to 1980, then lost 3.5% from 1980 to 1990. In recent years, it has grown not even 4% so far this decade, yet grew by 14% from 2000 to 2010.

Another sorry tale can be told of NM, which has stagnated to an absolute crawl in recent years. The Santa Fe New Mexican puts it this way:

Quote:
“With fewer births, more deaths and nearly no migration into New Mexico at a time when young people are seeking opportunities elsewhere, the state is in the midst of its slowest population growth since statehood — and that is not likely to change. ‘We’ve had nominal growth,’ said Robert Rhatigan, associate director of Geospatial and Population Studies at The University of New Mexico. ‘Births are down, deaths are up and migration is out.’ ”
In contrast, UT has grown consistently every decade over the past century, with its worst showing being 8.5% decadal growth in the 1930’s (still growing modestly despite the Great Depression). This steady growth pushed the Beehive State past WY’s current population in the 1940’s, ND’s current population in the 1950’s, and NM’s current population by the year 2000. Even in neighboring NV (which has had pretty consistent gains since a rough patch in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s), growth halved in the Silver State from the 1990’s (66%) to the 2000’s (35%) and has grown only 8% so far this decade (likely to not even reach half the growth achieved last decade.)

Utah has maintained a very steady growth rate over its entire existence, which has steered clear of the boom/bust cycles that have ensnared other Western states. This due to its unique ability to fall back on a steady natural increase that has helped smooth over prolonged economic downturns or migratory demographic shifts. I think you are right that this natural increase could diminish in the future, but I wouldn’t go so far as to say it will disappear altogether. I have a feeling Utah will continue to grow at a steady pace for many decades to come. It also helps that the state has diversified its economy, with a burgeoning tech sector and finance industry along with tourism, mining/gas, etc (unlike WY and ND).

While you make a good observation, what your analysis overlooks is the “Mormon Factor.” Utah not only has high birth rates due to its Mormon culture, it is also a Mecca to the faith’s adherents, attracting many Mormons from around the country and the globe. This unique dynamic is unlikely to change. While Utah’s fertility rate may be similar to developing societies, the state is clearly very developed (even more so than many regions of the U.S.) This dynamic is not resultant from an economic necessity to bare more children, as is the case in developing nations. It is a result of a pervasive culture that is well established in the state and is unlikely to ever completely disappear.

Last edited by (Eco)nomy_404; Dec 21, 2017 at 5:40 PM.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 7:09 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gastroc View Post
This article regarding The Gateway states that Dave & Busters is slated to open in April, 2018.

Vestar didn’t retain stores like Hollister and Dick’s Sporting Goods. It also ripped out the mall's traditional food court, replacing it with arcade-restaurant franchise Dave & Busters — slated to open in April 2018.

MidiCi The Neapolitan Pizza Company is also expected to open in April 2018, and La Barba Coffee will open a location in the center, Trott added. The eateries will be added to a slew of restaurants already established in an area Trott referred to as “restaurant row.”

With residential growth happening around the property, Vestar opted for white-collar companies over traditional retail at The Gateway. The Internal Revenue Service announced it had officially moved its Taxpayer Assistance Center to The Gateway on Dec. 5.

Recursion Pharmaceuticals is also set to move to the aforementioned Dick’s Sporting Goods building, located across the street from Vivint Arena. The building has been vacant for nearly a year.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46220005&nid=148
I think what they are doing with Dicks is a huge waste of space. That is one of the best spaces in gateway and they are turning it in to offices?

I think it would have been cool to turn the bottom of dicks in to a grocery store and then have small places to eat on the upper floor to replace the food court.

Then they could turn where skybox use to be in to a bowling alley, and also put either a petsmart or a petco in there... maybe where forever 21 use to be. They could also put a new night club in there somewhere since the Depot is going to become a hotel... why not put stuff in that the area doesn’t have?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West