HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 2:34 AM

Well, this is bad news.

Developer of upscale Draper neighborhood [Suncrest] files for bankruptcy protection

http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_8894326

I'm hoping this doesn't hurt the area too much. It really is a nice area up there. Too bad for all the lawsuits and disputes with Draper combined with the downturn in the housing market to cause this.

I live down the hill from it at Traverse Mountain and hope this sort of thing doesn't happen there. Fortunately, TM is also investing in commercial properties (Cabelas, Outlet Mall, Challenger School, Office Buildings, etc), so I'm hoping that will be enough to weather the housing market challenges.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 1:17 PM

Here's an interesting article regarding the various projects along the Wasatch.

High-rises shooting up along Wasatch Front suburbs

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_8917110

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 1:27 PM

I still strongly believe that the Gehry project will move forward as the market and growth of the Metro and Utah Valley continues. It isn't a matter of 'if but when,' and how fast the project will progress.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 3:56 PM

SLC needs to get on the ball.. These suburb developers are competitive!

Steve Aste of Utopia Station Development Corp. had plotted a 27-story condo tower at 2200 S. Main St. as the centerpiece of South Salt Lake's Market Station - until he heard downtown's City Creek Center will have one that's 32 floors.
"Then mine's 33," he says, only "half joking."

SLC needs to say: "450 ft tower in Lehi? The we're building a 500 ft tower".

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 4:05 PM

Wren, I was pretty amused by that comment too.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 4:28 PM
Bring out the cranes...

That story has some updates on a few highrise projects...

1. In Ogden, plans for the 14-story Midtown Village hotel are on hold a 2. 13-story Embassy Suites hotel slated for Pleasant Grove has been nipped to nine stories.

3. Steve Aste of Utopia Station Development Corp. had plotted a 27-story condo tower at 2200 S. Main St. as the centerpiece of South Salt Lake's Market Station - until he heard downtown's City Creek Center will have one that's 32 floors.
"Then mine's 33," he says, only "half joking."

4. Aste's tower is in Market Station's second phase, which could begin in 2011 if economic conditions are right.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 1:06 PM

Lindon, State Street under construction - Lindon Heritage Trail

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/263120/17/

The city is extending its Heritage Trail under State Street at City Center Park. The $3million project will eventually allow the trail to stretch all the way from the mountain to Utah Lake.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 5:40 PM

optimism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post

I still strongly believe that the Gehry project will move forward as the market and growth of the Metro and Utah Valley continues. It isn't a matter of 'if but when,' and how fast the project will progress.
Ubelievable, Delts! Once again, you amaze me by your optimism. But, forgive me if I think you are a little naieve. check out all of the readers comments from this article listed in sltrib about all the highrises going up along the wasatch front. Most of thes comments completely back my position that this is the wrong scale of development, and should be stopped. Delts, c'mon man! Wake up! Who are you kidding? Yourself?

http://166.70.44.77/comments/read_co...10&PageIndex=3

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 11:27 AM

UDOT set to widen Redwood to 5 lanes

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...272108,00.html

...residents in communities like Saratoga Springs and Eagle Mountain in Utah County and Herriman and Bluffdale in Salt Lake County, among others, constantly use Redwood Road as a pricncipal thoroughfare.

The Utah Department of Transportation is widening Redwood Road from Bangerter Highway in Bluffdale to 400 South in Saratoga Springs.

Currently a two-lane road, UDOT plans to widen Redwood to five lanes, with bike lanes on both the northbound and southbound sides, said Adan Carrillo UDOT spokesman.

UDOT will also install underpasses for wildlife to pass through. "It will greatly reduce the amount of collisions people experience out there with wildlife," Carrillo said...

Lehi - Many are eager for connector - Route will serve as an alternative to Lehi's Main Street

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...272086,00.html

The project, which is fully funded, will cost $135 million. Part of the $2.6 billion for the I-15 expansion will go to fund the east-west connector...

Last edited by delts145; Apr 20, 2008 at 4:29 PM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Ubelievable, Delts! Once again, you amaze me by your optimism. But, forgive me if I think you are a little naieve. check out all of the readers comments from this article listed in sltrib about all the highrises going up along the wasatch front. Most of thes comments completely back my position that this is the wrong scale of development, and should be stopped. Delts, c'mon man! Wake up! Who are you kidding? Yourself?

http://166.70.44.77/comments/read_co...10&PageIndex=3
I will assume Orlando that the inclusion of smiley and his friends, would mean that your remarks are meant in a very friendly manner, which I appreciate very much. Somehow though, I have failed to communicate effectively an opinion of what I think is happening with Traverse Ridge. Please keep in mind, not what I necessarily prefer to happen, or would personally push myself.

The Gehry Project will proceed in phases, not in 'ONE FELL SWOOP.' This is how it has been presented to the VERY SAVY Frank Gehry, and this is how he understands it. Just as the huge project of Thanksgiving Point has proceeded in phases, "the speed at which this Project proceeds, will depend on the speed at which this hub area grows." Orlando, somehow you seem to assert that this project is of the wrong scale at this time. Yet, in the same breath we cannot deny the obvious of what this junction will become in 15 to 20 years. Projects like this do not happen overnight, no matter what the typical hype of almost all developers. Brandt is only performing the typical dance of every developer, in order to stake his territory. In my estimation it would be more correct to assert that this development will not happen as quickly as the developer would like, but it will happen over time. How quickly remains to be seen.

It is important to understand that this geographic location screams for this type of development. It is the 'Perfect Storm' of a location for what is being planned. It's very large and booming demographic, is one of the most educated, and easily the largest, affluent demographic in the Wasatch Region. It is also an area, which is attracting some of the highest rates of affluent 'in-migration' in the West. Again, the dye has already been cast. This is and will continue to be the largest, most affluent, and among the fastest growing demographic areas in the mountain region.

Of course, there is the fact that this project is but a piece of the puzzle of which 100's of millions of dollars in resort, commercial, residential, and business development has already been successfully completed in the immediate vicinity. Never mind that the I-15/92 Junction has emerged as one of the current fastest growing, class A business parks in the Metro, or that it's expanding resort is already one of the most visited, successful and highly rated destination resorts in the Mountain Region. Many people seem to be clueless to the fact that the Gehry Project is no more than a, "ultra- fancy, multi-purpose, mixed-use destination resort," "an extension of the already booming Thanksgiving Point."
Much of what goes on with the measured pace of development of these Gehry Towers, is merely in keeping with the uber-demand in this specific area for prestige office space, close to affluent communties such as Traverse Ridge, Alpine, Highland, and Draper,etc. Again, and I stress this, "The fact that this area will become the largest, most affluent demographic is already set." And there is still room for easily a quarter million plus more people in the immediate area.

I know this totally upsets several people on this forum, that most wealthy businessmen in South Salt Lake Valley and North Utah Valley would much prefer to lease space in a prestigious tower with views of Timp only a few minutes from their doorstep, rather than commute to downtown Salt Lake or Provo/Orem. It is a fact that many with the cash to do so want that option, whether a particular group of 'urbanista planners' feels it meshes with their creed or not. Much as Century City or Bellevue developed, or any one of a few hundred other core's in this country, so will go Traverse Ridge over the next twenty years and beyond.

In addition to office space, these towers also will function as Hotel/Fractional Condo/Second Residence ownership for affluent destination vacationers, who want to golf at what is already rated as one of the most beautiful top courses on the No. American continent. Many will want to be within walking distance to Front Runner, or spend time at one of the largest and most beautiful formal gardens in the country, stock up at Cabela's, or Wakeboard. In addition to the resort aspect, high-end shopping will definately evolve around this junction. A few people need to understand that really by far, the largest critical mass of Neiman Marcus/Sak's type shoppers along the Wasatch, are within minutes of this junction. That is not to say that a 'Neiman Marcus anchored mall' is going in over the next couple of years. However, there will be an evolution of high-end shops, restaurants and entertainment, catering to the destination resort itself, and the large wealthy populous of the immediate area.

Downtown Salt Lake has a long list of unique niches that will continue to be developed and expanded under the very capable leadership of the Governor and it's current Mayor. Sure, what happens with Sandy or Traverse Ridge will dillute and spread some of the focus away from Salt Lake, but only a certain niche. There is not a major city in the world, whether it is Toronto, San Francisco ,New York, Paris, London, Seattle,Tokyo or L.A's, Wilshire Corridor, which has not developed in the same way as that which is taking place here along the Wasatch. To ignore the many obvious and comparative realities of the 'now' and future of Traverse Ridge, and then dictate one's own personal opinion absolutes, would make no sense to a successful and patient developer, who understands historical trends.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 7:19 PM
Exit 298

So, (considering I'm still single) ... I should plan on staying at the Ghery 5-star Hotel for my 50th Wedding Anniversary - but not until then, right?

C'mon! I don't care if Brandt Anderson goes bankrupt in the process. I want the project finished in one fell swoop now Now NOW !!!!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 7:53 PM

Maybe, you're 20th anniversary!! Then again, as soon as this economic downturn makes it's cycle, we'll probably head into another phase of crazy growth. Projects like Traverse Ridge could happen sooner than we expect.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 2:09 PM

Sleepy Ridge excites Orem

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...268147,00.html

Orem city and operators of Sleepy Ridge Golf Course will break ground on a $5.5 million clubhouse today th the course located at 700 S. Sleepy Ridge Drive, west of I-15.

Sleepy Ridge Golf Course
The Links at Sleepy Ridge is a par 72 golf course that measures 7,017 yards from the championship tees. The golf course was designed by Matthew Dye, a third generation member of one of the best known families of golf course designers in the world. The golf course plays through and around the wetlands on the eastern shore of Utah Lake. The golf course features generous rolling fairways and challenging approach shots that will appeal to golfers of all skill levels.

Photo Gallery:

http://www.linksatsleepyridge.com/ht...o_gallery.html

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 1:26 PM

UDOT puts Lehi freeway on hold

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/263366/17/

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 8:05 PM

To back up what Delts has stated about the Gehry project and the Traverse area. I personally have been involved in several project with millions of square feet for class A buildings in that very area. Commercial developments that will cost hundreds of millions to develop over time. Again just because it hasn’t been announced doesn’t mean it wont be built. Many of the developer’s don’t want to show their cards so to speak.

Last edited by millhouse; Apr 24, 2008 at 2:08 AM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 12:38 PM

And Now!! Lehi, UDOT to compromise on Mountain View Corridor

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...273191,00.html

After three months of working with Lehi city staff, Utah Department of Transportation officials have decided to build the Mountain View Corridor in phases through Lehi...

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 12:57 PM

American Fork - Arts Council looks to build concert hall

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/263410/

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 1:25 PM

Just a couple of days ago I passed by this old mill. I stopped for a bit to just look at it. As I gazed at this historical old complex, I couldn't help but daydream about its incredible potential. Then, I see this announcement this morning and WOW, "was I excited!!"

Historic Lehi Roller Mills to expand - Visually Charming and Historically Accurate Restoration & Expansion to Transform Lehi's East Main Street Gateway.

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/262905/

Last edited by delts145; Nov 3, 2009 at 12:48 PM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 2:02 PM

In passing this Interchange along I-15 the other day, I noticed buildings going up like crazy. A lot of Class A office construction and multi-unit residential going on here right now.

Pleasant Grove - Construction begins on Embassy Suites Hotel and Convention Center.

New Article and Link:http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/262969/

1st rendering released

2nd and newest rendering. I think this is still what will be planned in the updated article (link above) they say that some modifications were made to accomodate seimic requirements for the plot. In looking at the old article that was released with this rendering below, it would seem that no downsizing has occurred. This tower pictured below will accomodate 300 suites and the Mariott Courtyard another 250 plus.

"The number of rooms, parking spaces and size of the convention center will be pretty much the same as the original plan," said Bradford. The original plan included 300 suites, a 40,000-square-foot ballroom and more than 120,000 combined square feet of meeting and convention space.

Old Article:Original Article below released with Rendering #2 Note: read above link for updated article
PLEASANT GROVE - A suite deal is propelling Pleasant Grove into the big leagues.
Developers unveiled updated plans Tuesday to build two large hotels (an Embassy Suites and a Courtyard Marriott), three restaurants and a spacious convention center at this northern Utah County city's so-called "$350 million intersection."
"This rivals anything in the state of Utah, even in Salt Lake City," Pleasant Grove Mayor Mike Daniels said. "This is a tremendous facility."
The project will be financed partly by one of the nation's largest hotel developers, John Q. Hammons, along with bonds financed through a Utah County hotel-tax hike and future property tax revenues from the development.
An investment and banking firm has projected the hotels and convention center would generate $51 million a year.
Hammons said Tuesday his Pleasant Grove project will offer 520 hotel rooms and more than 100,000 square feet of meeting space in a convention center with 28- to 30-foot ceilings.
The first leg of construction, the 14-story, 300-suite Embassy Suites Hotel, is scheduled to begin June 1, Hammons said. He expects construction to take 14 to 21 months, with an opening in October 2008.
The Courtyard Marriott is slated for a 2008 groundbreaking, followed by a 2009 debut.
Hammons said the project, which would boast 350 to 450 employees, is in a prime location - near Interstate 15 and Pleasant Grove Boulevard and not far from Brigham Young University and Utah Valley State College.
The hotel site also is adjacent to a planned 1 million-square-foot lifestyle center. That area would provide a mix of entertainment, restaurants and national and Utah retailers.
Dennis Baker, the property owner, said he has been talking with national real estate trusts, though he would not say who the anchor tenant might be.
Daniels, the Pleasant Grove mayor, pointed out the enhanced revenues would ease the tax burden on residents and create career jobs.
"I'm convinced, in the near future, Salt Lake will learn Pleasant Grove is a competitive force in the state," Hammons said.

Last edited by delts145; Nov 3, 2009 at 12:48 PM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 4:02 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:

"The number of rooms, parking spaces and size of the convention center will be pretty much the same as the original plan," said Bradford. The original plan included 300 suites, a 40,000-square-foot ballroom and more than 120,000 combined square feet of meeting and convention space.

I was noticing that as well Delts while driving on the I-15 on Monday coming back from Lake Powell that there is alot going on in that area. Still there is just a field where that highrise hotel will go. I was wondering while driving by just when will this project take off.

Quote:
The first leg of construction, the 14-story, 300-suite Embassy Suites Hotel, is scheduled to begin June 1, Hammons said. He expects construction to take 14 to 21 months, with an opening in October 2008..

14-stories? I thought the hotel got down size to only 9-stories. Not as exciting.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West