HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 5:08 PM

I didn't see any renderings in the article, does anybody have some?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRes View Post
I didn't see any renderings in the article, does anybody have some?
It will be great to have an IHC hospital in Davis Co.

I'm sure that statistically as far as health outcomes are concerned, Davis Hospital isn't that bad, but it has a terrible reputation. I know a couple who were seriously injured in an accident in front of Davis Hospital and specifically asked the ambulance to take them up to McKay-Dee hospital in Ogden instead.

The closest thing I've seen to a rendering is this image from a Standard Examiner story re: a Layton city open house about developments in the area:

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 3:28 PM

Cool article about upcoming renovation of the Peery Apartments. I'm hoping for Option A, the full restoration, but even Option B would be a huge improvement from Section 8 Housing to renovated affordable housing.

http://www.standard.net/Local/2016/0...s-of-life.html

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 3:45 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I too hope that it can be rehabbed fully. I understand that affordable and section 8 housing is a very necessary thing, but I wish many of these historic apartment buildings could be a mix of market rate and affordable. They have such a classic and timeless urban look about them and have so much history.

There are so many 3 story walk ups in Salt Lake and Ogden that are 100% affordable and again I realize it is necessary, but it often times feels like such a shame. I know there are market rate older historic buildings as well, I guess I just wish there were more.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 5:43 PM

Video Link

Nice video by Ogden City about proposed redevelopment of the Union Station and adjacent properties and railyards. The video has 15k view on facebook.

Last edited by UTAZLoVer; Feb 24, 2016 at 6:51 PM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 5:55 PM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTAZLoVer View Post
Video Link

Nice video by Ogden City about proposed redevelopment of the Union Station and adjacent properties and railyards. The video has 15k view on facebook.
Remove the full web address and just use qAUNgY2zv7A as its all you need for YouTube videos.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
Remove the full web address and just use qAUNgY2zv7A as its all you need for YouTube videos.
Thanks! I appreciate that.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 7:01 PM

IMAGINE JEFFERSON PHASE TWO

These are located at Adams & 25th Street, directly across from the US Forest Service Building and the aforementioned Perry Apartments that will be undergoing renovation, and adjacent to Imagine Jefferson Phase 1 (completed 1.5 years ago) and the Old Weber Academy Gym. I can't find a rendering anywhere but maybe one of you sleuths can.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 8:59 PM
The Drifter

Quote:
Thanks! I appreciate that.
You're welcome

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 9:55 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I love the grit of Ogden, I think it's a cool city especially downtown. I would love to see Union Station be a bustling hub of activity once again. I think it's the natural next step, as 25th St has already made an impressive comeback.

I think one thing they could consider is what Rio Grande Station is doing in Salt Lake during the Winter months, make Union Station a year round farmers market. They could use the main hall as the market, and that still leaves a lot of space for other uses.

I know it doesn't necessarily fit into the outdoor mecca vibe that Ogden has created, but I would like to see a few taller buildings be built north and south of 25th St. I wouldn't want to see anything with a wide and chunky base, but a few 10-15 story office and residential buildings, maybe even up to 20 would be ok. Mix in a few 8-10 story buildings, some additional row houses, break up the blocks for pedestrians, slap a couple of roof top patio bars along 25th St, and you've got yourself a great downtown. A downtown with a mix of business sectors, entertainment, housing, old and new buildings all surrounding a truly unique and historic core.

Every time I drive through Ogden, I seriously drool over the 2411 Kiesel Ave building, and it's potential for some truly incredible warehouse lofts.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 10:26 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

As I look on Google Earth around downtown Ogden, and as I moved past Lindquist field it got me thinking. If Salt Lake City were to get a MLB team, which city, Ogden or Provo, would be the best location for the Triple A affiliate to move. My gut would say Provo, as Utah county is so populous, but then I thought about it, and the Bees have a hard time drawing a crowd for Sunday games, and that would be compounded even more if the team where to move to Utah County, Ogden seems much more likely to support the Sunday games.

I think Ogden would make a great location for the Triple A team to relocate too. Plus I think stadiums and arenas belong in a downtown setting and since Ogden already has Lindquist field. Maybe the overall market can't support a MLB and Triple A team, so maybe Ogden and or Provo upgrades to a Single or Double A affiliate of the SLC MLB team.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I love the grit of Ogden, I think it's a cool city especially downtown. I would love to see Union Station be a bustling hub of activity once again. I think it's the natural next step, as 25th St has already made an impressive comeback.

I think one thing they could consider is what Rio Grande Station is doing in Salt Lake during the Winter months, make Union Station a year round farmers market. They could use the main hall as the market, and that still leaves a lot of space for other uses.

I know it doesn't necessarily fit into the outdoor mecca vibe that Ogden has created, but I would like to see a few taller buildings be built north and south of 25th St. I wouldn't want to see anything with a wide and chunky base, but a few 10-15 story office and residential buildings, maybe even up to 20 would be ok. Mix in a few 8-10 story buildings, some additional row houses, break up the blocks for pedestrians, slap a couple of roof top patio bars along 25th St, and you've got yourself a great downtown. A downtown with a mix of business sectors, entertainment, housing, old and new buildings all surrounding a truly unique and historic core.

Every time I drive through Ogden, I seriously drool over the 2411 Kiesel Ave building, and it's potential for some truly incredible warehouse lofts.
Lotus development is already a few steps ahead of you.

http://www.standard.net/Local/2015/1...ngs-kiesel-cda

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
As I look on Google Earth around downtown Ogden, and as I moved past Lindquist field it got me thinking. If Salt Lake City were to get a MLB team, which city, Ogden or Provo, would be the best location for the Triple A affiliate to move. My gut would say Provo, as Utah county is so populous, but then I thought about it, and the Bees have a hard time drawing a crowd for Sunday games, and that would be compounded even more if the team where to move to Utah County, Ogden seems much more likely to support the Sunday games.

I think Ogden would make a great location for the Triple A team to relocate too. Plus I think stadiums and arenas belong in a downtown setting and since Ogden already has Lindquist field. Maybe the overall market can't support a MLB and Triple A team, so maybe Ogden and or Provo upgrades to a Single or Double A affiliate of the SLC MLB team.
I will say that the Ogden Raptors enjoy the highest attendance rates of any Pioneer League team, which includes the Orem team. That said, I'm sure it is some time before we have this issue anyways. But yeah, I'd love to see a larger team and facility up here.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 9:43 PM

Quote:
I will say that the Ogden Raptors enjoy the highest attendance rates of any Pioneer League team, which includes the Orem team. That said, I'm sure it is some time before we have this issue anyways. But yeah, I'd love to see a larger team and facility up here.
If Salt Lake ever got a MLB team I would see Ogden upgrading to a Double A team and Orem staying as the Rookie League. To increase the brand, a Salt Lake Baseball team would want to put a Triple A team in another state. Say Boise or Colorado Springs who just lost the Sky Sox to Boise.

I also do not think SLC will get a team in the next 20 years anyways, but to the prepared comes success.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 4:29 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

Bountiful is making a big mistake!

http://davisclipper.com/view/full_st...nce=lead_story

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
I've hoped for a new city hall building for a long time but tearing down the Stoker School is a travesty! I don't like that they are shutting down 200 South either.

For those who don't know about the Stoker School, it was built in 1905 and recently has housed the U of U extension. Here is a link with a little information.
http://legacy.bountifulutah.gov/Hist.../Stoker01.html

And here is the layout of what they want to do. There is plenty of room in that plaza to keep the school, even if not fully restored.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 6:01 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I didn't know what the school was, but I agree that it is always a shame to be short sighted and tear something like that down. It's poor planning, and for the overall heritage/history of the community. Remember the Salt Lake City and County building was one vote away from being torn down for something new, what a travesty that would have been. We can't get these buildings back once they are gone.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 5:43 PM
Exurb Enjoyer

CNBC
Mary Thompson March 18, 2016

How A City Took its Time and Remade its Economy

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000502796

OGDEN, Utah — Bystanders shield their eyes from the swirling grit kicked up by the bright green and yellow helicopter. Its landing was captured by a news crew here to record the opening of new maintenance facility for Air Medical Resource Group, the country's third-largest provider of air medical services, and the latest firm to open shop in this city.
"We could see that they wanted us here and it made a difference to us," President Joseph Hunt said when asked why his company chose Ogden.
Wielding giant scissors and surrounded by seven members of Ogden's Chamber of Commerce, Hunt cuts a ceremonial ribbon to mark the opening of the facility. The seven are a subset of the chamber called the "Spikers," whose job it is to welcome industry — industry Ogden's been working hard to recruit for the last 16 years.

Ogden has brought in new businesses, including online retailer Wayfair, Northrop Grumman and the 3-D printing company White Clouds. That was achieved through careful planning of projects funded by tax increment financing and a willingness to go the extra mile for any business considering setting down roots in this city 40 miles north of Salt Lake.
"We had no parking, so went back to them and said, 'We need a whole section of parking for our people,' so they found a whole section of parking and leased it to us," said Hunt. "Then we saw some asphalt that they had used and we asked if we could take that asphalt and they said 'yes.'"
"They may seem like little things but those add up to hundreds of thousands of dollars that are costs we don't have to turn out because they put out a little extra effort to help us out," he said.
The payoff for Ogden, 15 jobs at the facility paying more than $55,000 a year, and a new addition to the city's aerospace industry, one of the three pillars of its economy, along with advanced material firms and outdoor recreation companies.

"Everything we work on is based on two goals: improving income level and improving our tax base," said Tom Christopolus, Ogden's director of community and economic development.

Ogden has been working on remaking itself for the last 16 years, continuously tweaking its "Renaissance Plan," which was developed after the city was chosen to host the downhill ski events for the 2002 Olympics.
"Things had gotten to the point where the town was so significantly blighted that no one wanted to live here, and then no one wanted to work here," said Christopolus, describing Ogden in the late '90s. "So people started to ask what some of the options were."
One option was selling the city's natural beauty during the Olympics. Ogden butts up against the Wasatch Mountains to the east, and has two rivers running through the city.
"Those events we brought in specifically highlighted our rivers and our trails and our mountains and everything else," said Mayor Mike Caldwell, who at the time was working on the Olympics initiative. "And it really did show the best of of what at that point was a pretty tired community."
So Ogden began selling its lifestyle, and its low cost of doing business to any firm that would listen.
"When we first started we would recruit anyone we could get," said Christopolus. "We wanted to build that economic base."
It was an economic base that was shrinking. Once a railroad hub, Ogden is where the Union and Pacific Railroads were linked in the latter part of the 1800s, but its population started to slide in the 1950s when people began to abandon rail travel for autos and planes.

Data from the Census Bureau show its population fell by more than 23 percent from 1950 to 1990, from 83,319 to 63,909.
So while the city was surrounded by natural beauty, it knew it had to do something to improve its physical appearance. When its revitalization plan began, the city had numerous abandoned and run down buildings and its infrastructure was in need of repair.
To fund improvement projects, it began using tax incremental financing, or TIFs. This is when taxing entities, like schools that reside in the district where the venture is taking place, agree to give up any incremental tax from increased property values for a set period of time. The new revenue is then plowed back into the district to pay for things like fixing roads, tearing down structures or putting in trails. All of this is done with the aim of making the area more attractive to business.

It is a strategy that requires a lot of cooperation from a number of different parties.
"We try to center on one particular goal, which is community improvement," said Christopolus, an Ogden native who left in the '80s but returned nine years ago. "If we're all focused on that goal, the school district benefits, the county benefits, we benefit."
Currently there are over 20 of these TIF-funded projects happening in Ogden, among them the Ogden Business Exchange. It is being built at the site of the city's former livestock exchange. It will be home of some of the city's 30 outdoor recreation companies.

ENVE Composites, a maker of high end bicycle parts, is an anchor tenant. The Business Exchange is being sold as a "lifestyle park" where resident firms can test their products on nearby trails and bike paths. It's expected 400 jobs will be based there.
The Business Exchange is similar to one of Ogden's first projects, when it took over a military depot that was shuttered in 1995 and turned the 1,000 acre parcel into a business park. Over 6,000 people work at The Business Depot's more than 100 companies, including Hershey's and the online insurer Esurance.
Professor Michael Vaughan, who teaches economics at Ogden's Weber State University, said the city has managed its renewal in a smart way.

"Instead of trying to go out and hit a home run and bring in the employer that would bring 10,000 jobs to the area, they've hit a lot of singles and doubles," he said.
Ogden now boasts it has the narrowest wealth gap of any major metropolitan area, according to the Census bureau. Still, its median income of $40,937 is below the national average, even as it has climbed 20 percent since 2000.
The city also bears plenty of scars from its troubled past. Mixed in with new housing projects are homes badly in need of a paint and new roofs. Plenty of buildings stand empty, and 23 percent of its residents live below the poverty line.

Nevertheless its earned accolades like being named one of the "Best Cities to Raise a Family" by Forbes (in 2014), and being tapped by Brookings as one of "2015's Best Cities for Advanced Industries."

Christopolus, who witnessed Ogden's decline firsthand, appreciates the accolades but knows there is a lot of work to be done.
"It's a generational project. It will go on long after I'm gone," he said. "The major projects we have charted out will take another 20 years. It will take that long to get back to the point where we were in real dollar terms in the '50s."

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/03/18/how-a...s-economy.html

Last edited by s.p.hansen; Mar 18, 2016 at 6:28 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 11:43 PM
Exurb Enjoyer

This is for Comrade

Remembering the Ogden Mall
Video Link

This will also be playing on my Spotify when I walk down Ogden's storied streets so that I can remember when this pop angel blessed this little corner of Zion.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
This is for Comrade

Remembering the Ogden Mall
Video Link

This will also be playing on my Spotify when I walk down Ogden's storied streets so that I can remember when this pop angel blessed this little corner of Zion.
Don't forget, she also performed at the 49th St. Galleria and Fashion Place mall. More of the crowd shots are actually at Fashion Place than Ogden mall in the video.

So, you have to listen to Tiffany when you're at Fashion Place, too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West