HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 5:54 PM
ColoRADo

^ Just watch an episode of House Hunters and you'll notice the difference in culture immediately.

Toronto home buyer episodes:

#1: Close to transit
#2: Don't mind living in tower/condo/rowhouse/etc.

Denver home buyer episodes:

#1: Transit? What is that?
#2: I want a bungalow in Wash Park!!!!!!

That's why they are building condos at a mad pace. The market demands it. Our market isn't there yet.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 6:52 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANSIT View Post
Denver home buyer episodes:

#1: Transit? What is that?
#2: I want a bungalow in Wash Park!!!!!!

That's why they are building condos at a mad pace. The market demands it. Our market isn't there yet.
Maybe that's because Wash Park is the only decent neighborhood in the city that *is* walkable to transit. At least, transit that goes somewhere worth going... namely, downtown.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 7:27 PM
ColoRADo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Maybe that's because Wash Park is the only decent neighborhood in the city that *is* walkable to transit. At least, transit that goes somewhere worth going... namely, downtown.
Wash Park West maybe; Wash Park, probably not.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 8:31 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Not to mention Toronto single-family homes are far, far more expensive than the condos are. Toronto's a strange bird to be honest with you. My gut tells me there's going to be an enormous glut of unneeded condos there shortly and prices will crash, but my gut's not always right about these things. More than likely, things will finally slow down there shortly, the demand will take a good long time to fill the supply, prices will drop somewhat, and in a few years it will all begin again. Of course Toronto is a much, much larger place than Denver is, so who knows?

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 9:09 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q
It's a bit sad that fastracks doesn't fulfill this
It did, 10 years ago. What's left to say about it now? Construction updates I guess, but those are all on Ken's site.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 9:11 PM

Another thing: We used to talk about every 10 story suburban office building. Maybe that was because those were the only interesting things getting built in the late 90s and early 2000s, or maybe it's because Matt Faruolo was the only person who ever really cared much about that stuff and he's gone. Or maybe it's just not happening anymore (I get the impression Broomfield isn't booming like it used to). Whatever the case, we don't talk about that anymore.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2013, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Another thing: We used to talk about every 10 story suburban office building. Maybe that was because those were the only interesting things getting built in the late 90s and early 2000s, or maybe it's because Matt Faruolo was the only person who ever really cared much about that stuff and he's gone. Or maybe it's just not happening anymore (I get the impression Broomfield isn't booming like it used to). Whatever the case, we don't talk about that anymore.
I suspect, sir, that the 'economy' is in far worse shape nationally and metro-wide than is being discussed/revealed in much of the media. This lack of being upfront about the economy is often necessary, as people, IMO, often spend money (and/or go further into debt) for emotional, rather than logical reasons. A country which is not spending enough money can be as serious a problem as spending too much (deflation/inflation).

In Metro-Denver, I suspect that outside of upscale residential and low to lower middle level targeted multi-unit construction, that little is being built outside DIA and LODO. These locations, incidentally, have received and are receiving the most benefit from our tax dollar financed infrastructural improvements.

Denver is getting the super lions share- IMO far more than the 650000/3000000 or ~1:5 ratio Denver has to the metro areas total population.

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf

Old Posted Jun 22, 2013, 5:18 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

So according to you... Denver is getting the lion's share of our infrastructure spending, and as a result, Denver is capturing nearly all construction and growth... And you view this as a bad thing? That's exactly what most of us want to happen. It is sort the definition of the reversal of five decades of sprawl.

And I will say, I am not seeing what you're seeing with regard to the economy. (I have a depressing lack of clients in central Denver, and I am absurdly busy, so somebody is building something somewhere.) There are still challenges, but if anything, those are related to a more prudent public paying down debt and not spending willy nilly. Which is also what most of us want, despite some of the negative side effects. (Also, a general mismatch between American workers' skill sets and what is presently needed by business, but that will simply take time to work itself out.)

So basically, you describe a state here in Denver where we are growing (that is empirically true) in a more efficient manner than previously. And you characterize this as a doomsday scenario.

Explain. What I hear is that you want us to sprawl, live more inefficiently, and buy a ton of garbage we don't need along the way (big homes and stuff to fill them with)...

Have you considered that rather than just not being able to afford that anymore, we might not want that anymore? That possibly these changes are choices made out of free will?

I don't know, your characterization of things sounds a lot like progress to me.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 5:01 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

I was thinking about this on my way to work this morning.. I used to love playing capture the flag when I was growing up. How fun would it be to have teams of 15 or so and play it with Denver's CBD (or a part of it) as the playing field.
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 5:13 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
I was thinking about this on my way to work this morning.. I used to love playing capture the flag when I was growing up. How fun would it be to have teams of 15 or so and play it with Denver's CBD (or a part of it) as the playing field.
Would be even funner if you added paintball guns into the mix. Though it would be only a matter of time before someone ended up in the ER with multiple small arm wounds.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 5:38 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

That would be pretty awesome including the battle scar / ER trip. I'm sure the city would LOVE that. I figure section off 17th - 19th between California and Broadway, start at 10pm and utilize the urban landscape. I'm sure building owners / security would love that too.
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 5:47 PM

Why not? I've been in public downtown pillow fights in SF and DC. Same thing (well, same as capture the flag; paint ball maybe not).

Scott Beale / Laughing Squid via flickr.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 5:36 AM

Quote:
So according to you... Denver is getting the lion's share of our infrastructure spending, and as a result, Denver is capturing nearly all construction and growth... And you view this as a bad thing? That's exactly what most of us want to happen. It is sort the definition of the reversal of five decades of sprawl.

And I will say, I am not seeing what you're seeing with regard to the economy. (I have a depressing lack of clients in central Denver, and I am absurdly busy, so somebody is building something somewhere.) There are still challenges, but if anything, those are related to a more prudent public paying down debt and not spending willy nilly. Which is also what most of us want, despite some of the negative side effects. (Also, a general mismatch between American workers' skill sets and what is presently needed by business, but that will simply take time to work itself out.)

So basically, you describe a state here in Denver where we are growing (that is empirically true) in a more efficient manner than previously. And you characterize this as a doomsday scenario.

Explain. What I hear is that you want us to sprawl, live more inefficiently, and buy a ton of garbage we don't need along the way (big homes and stuff to fill them with)...

Have you considered that rather than just not being able to afford that anymore, we might not want that anymore? That possibly these changes are choices made out of free will?

I don't know, your characterization of things sounds a lot like progress to me.
I apologize for the time taken to respond: I had to think about this.

A) IMO Denver would have grown if no RTD had ever existed, and, possibly would have grown as fast, if not faster, than the metro area has grown size RTD started building transportation infrastructure.

Growth factors regardless of transportation mix:

1. The Denver metro sits in an extremely attractive setting.
2. Compared to many US metro areas, the weather is remarkably good.
3. The citizen of Denver (and Greeley and to a lessor extent Colorado Springs) has a lot of available water. (This is in large part through the efforts of very visionary people early in the 20th Century.
4. Compared to the physical plant in many eastern and Midwestern metropolitan areas, Denver has young water pipe and wastewater piping and processing systems.
5. The Denver metro area has room to grow.
6. The Downtown Denver Renaissance would likely have occurred without light rail, etc., and, is due, in significant part to national generational changes, as well as being due to the other factors mentioned.

IMO, the issue is not whether the city of Denver deserves the higher than it's percentage of public moneys for public transportation infrastructure based on percentage of population, but whether the money spent has had anywhere near the same impact on the rest of the metropolitan area as it has in a small part of Denver.

This is not the case.

In addition, Denver has sacrificed metropolitan transportation needs (intra-suburban connections) at the expense of developing a very small percentage of the CITY, and, a minute fraction of the metro area.

I do believe that had true efficient interconnectedness, such as same seat travel through the urban core, higher average speeds, station bypass availability through 3 tracking at LEAST a few stations, rail bypass connections (just as I-25 does not have to go through stop lights in Lodo) etc., that user demand metro wide would have increased very rapidly, and, the NET population densities increase far more rapidly metro wide than will be the case.

Furthermore, Denver and it's inner ring suburbs very likely would have increasing population densities regardless, following the example of Los Angeles. At the low and lower middle class economic level, suburban houses will evolve into multiple apartments. At the upper end, those who wish to live with immediate neighbors would live in high rises anyway.

My point always has been that planning needs to be directed towards inevitable population growth, increased density, and, lower median income. In order to continue to do so, the city of Denver as well as the metro region needs to understand that large masses of people will need the best public transit systems possible to have a good quality of life down the 'line.'

(The real estate development aspect has sacrificed much of the user need aspect for those who do not want to live in Lodo. I will admit that about 1500 meters around the DUS will be amazing, but there is far more to Denver and metro Denver than those few square kilometers.)

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf

Last edited by Wizened Variations; Jun 27, 2013 at 6:00 AM. Reason: Took a 'not' out. LOL

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 1:20 PM

These pillow fights happen in downtown Denver, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Why not? I've been in public downtown pillow fights in SF and DC. Same thing (well, same as capture the flag; paint ball maybe not).

Scott Beale / Laughing Squid via flickr.

Last edited by Cirrus; Jun 27, 2013 at 4:50 PM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 4:05 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

I would probably not attend a pillow fight because well, it's a pillow fight.. However, after doing some digging around I guess there was a big capture the flag event in 2006 here in Denver that utilized a good chunk of CBD / LoDo. I don't know if it actually happened but still a great idea. Might have to make it happen again

Picture via Event website

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 12:38 AM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

From a few pages back, I finally found my old SimCity 2000 files. I remember taking a bunch of screenshots back in the day but couldn't find them so I took some more today! Mind you, I was 11 when I built this. Apparently loved airports and hated street grids, through streets / anything that related to city organization.

Budget wasn't too bad.. At least I was gaining money..

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 2:16 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

This apparently is what happened to kids who grew up in the brand benew DIA era Fascinating.

My shocking factoid of the night. Coors Field is the 3rd oldest ballpark in the league. Can you f'in believe that?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 5:00 AM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:
This apparently is what happened to kids who grew up in the brand benew DIA era Fascinating.

My shocking factoid of the night. Coors Field is the 3rd oldest ballpark in the league. Can you f'in believe that?
*And grew up in Aurora. That's actually a super interesting fact. 18 years old isn't that old.. Well you know what that means, we gotta tear her down and build a new one.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 11:49 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

We Springs kids would've been making a joke about Denver and its automatic baggage system. Alas, that's right up there with all if the Big Dig haters now. Schadenfreude fail.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 3:16 PM

Quote:

It's not that surprising in 1977 Candlestick was the 2nd oldest ballpark in the NL in spite of it only being 17 years old. Most of the ballparks built in that multi-purpose era (60's and 70's) needed to be replaced by the 90's it just took some longer than others to secure the funding.

Ballparks tend to be built in spurts in the 1910's and 1920's was another one.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West