HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Comcast Innovation & Technology Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 4:27 PM

^ Yes, I always thought the skyline is missing a trophy tower that's curved, circular and fluid shaped. Would be cool in the 3rd shot down from the above update between Mellon and liberty 1.

And oh yeah skyscraper family have a happy 4th if July day!

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokoon11 View Post
^ Yes, I always thought the skyline is missing a trophy tower that's curved, circular and fluid shaped. Would be cool in the 3rd shot down from the above update between Mellon and liberty 1.

And oh yeah skyscraper family have a happy 4th if July day!
I'd love for an asian-style supertall to be part of 30th st district (though I'd happily take it anywhere.)

Something either round like Shanghai tower, or sloping like 2IFC in Hong Kong would be great.

Or maybe one along the lines of Shanghai WFC might actually work well considering Cira and FMC's shapes.

EDIT: I'm a big fan of Salesforce and would love something like that somewhere in our skyline, preferably as the tallest roof.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
Not to start a city vs. city debate, but I believe that CTC is the best supertall going up outside of New York and Chicago. Also, not to start a skyscraper vs. skyscraper debate, but I think that CTC is a vast improvement to what the ACC would have been.

My only wish is that Comcast could have foreseen its rapid growth back when this tower was in its conceptual stages. We would have definitely had a roof-height super tall, and a building that would have been between 1,300-1,400 FT (according to my estimation).
1,300-1,400? That's almost as tall as the ACC, and would be the tallest outside NYC and Chicago by 200 feet. How exactly did you calculate that? I know Comcast is a vast corporation with room to grow, but I'm curious about your methods.

Not to start another conversation, but do you think Comcast 3 is going to be a thing?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 9:17 AM
More of that.

A great city can not and should not be judged by how many or how impressive its inventory of skyscrapers is. Inga did a whole opinion piece about this awhile back. She applauds a proper proportion of mid-range development, and I agree with her.

I do not need to list off the world's cultural urban jewels with little to no "towers." And these WORLD CITIES don't care that they don't stretch into the sky, because their heart is close to the ground where the human exists.

Now I don't want to say that Tampa is one of these cities. Because it's not. But if you've ever been to Tampa, you, like me, would be impressed with how they mix in robust and aesthetically pleasing mid-range developments. Granted, albeit because of some loosey goosey zoning/planning mismanagement. Travel down some of their quaint residential corridors and its curious to see single family homes with lawn on all four sides, next to multi-family homes of slightly larger massing, next to multiple level apartment buildings, next to multiple level grocery stores with first floor parking (no underground due to watertable) and two levels of grocery store balanced atop. And then single family homes again. Sometimes there's magic in variety like that when it sprouts organically.

And I'm sure many of you have seen the plethora of research (available on YouTube) that shows that density through stunted height can trump even the tallest skyscraper jungles with their tight urban blocks (Buenos Aires, Madrid, Paris - which even beats Manhattan in density).

Admit to yourself that you just love height because you like looking up, not because you believe it's an indication of a city's value.

Last edited by Human Scale; Jul 6, 2017 at 9:30 AM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
1,300-1,400? That's almost as tall as the ACC, and would be the tallest outside NYC and Chicago by 200 feet. How exactly did you calculate that? I know Comcast is a vast corporation with room to grow, but I'm curious about your methods.

Not to start another conversation, but do you think Comcast 3 is going to be a thing?

Gonzo the Great

Here's the part that pisses me off . " IF " Comcast really has plans to build a third skyscraper of ANY height , why didn't they just add a
dozen floors or more to make this tower's roof line 1,121' rather than building a smaller tower at another location .

I really , really like CITC , but when looking at it from afar , it seems a bit subservient to the Comcast Tower because of it's lack of higher
roof line substance ........ Maybe if that little shoe box size cooling tower mass was three or four times larger ..... maybe .

So , not to start another conversation, but I do not believe there will be a Comcast 3

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo the Great View Post
Gonzo the Great

Here's the part that pisses me off . " IF " Comcast really has plans to build a third skyscraper of ANY height , why didn't they just add a
dozen floors or more to make this tower's roof line 1,121' rather than building a smaller tower at another location .

I really , really like CITC , but when looking at it from afar , it seems a bit subservient to the Comcast Tower because of it's lack of higher
roof line substance ........ Maybe if that little shoe box size cooling tower mass was three or four times larger ..... maybe .

So , not to start another conversation, but I do not believe there will be a Comcast 3
I believe Comcast 3 will happen. CTC is rumored to already be filled up.

Yes, they could have built taller, but I'm sure the higher you go, the more expensive each floor is - and not just for Comcast, but for the Four Seasons as well. Also, Comcast may want to cluster different functions in different types of buildings, as CTC will have a very different look and feel inside than the Comcast Center has. It will also have different job roles within it than the HQ will have. Would it have been nice to have it be a little taller? The answer is almost always yes. I'm sure there were other considerations that were made when determining the floor count and those included a cost benefit analysis of going bigger now (in the CTC) or building Comcast 3 at a later date.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 1:20 PM

Cooling tower units going up today. Evidently, the ones sitting on the roof of the first set back are temporary and will be disassembled and removed after the permanent units are installed and functioning.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 1:32 PM

Boy reality bites! That's the ugliest skyscraper in Philly! Nothing special about this monstrosity! 👎🏾👎🏾

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 3:19 PM
Pro Web Slinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
Boy reality bites! That's the ugliest skyscraper in Philly! Nothing special about this monstrosity! 👎🏾👎🏾
You talking about this one?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 3:20 PM

[QUOTE=Groundhog;7856334]I believe Comcast 3 will happen. CTC is rumored to already be filled up.

Image result for doe doe bird
The dodo (Raphus cucullatus) is an extinct flightless bird that was endemic to the island of Mauritius, east of Madagascar in the Indian Ocean. The dodo's closest genetic relative was the also extinct Rodrigues solitaire, the two forming the subfamily Raphinae of the family of pigeons and doves.

Did you ever see ( what I believe was the original design / proposal ) the 500' tower Comcast presented as the second addition to their complex ??
That building , along with any near future plans ( twenty years ) has gone the same way this poor flightless bird has gone .

Nothing from nothing but , I would like to see some other giant ass venture take up space on one of the many surface lots and maybe create a
little , competition along with several hundred , middle . upper middle and upper class career positions .

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 5:23 PM

What do youse have against CTC or 2 Liberty? There's nothing really wrong with either of them.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 7:07 PM
Register This

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabcom View Post
It's kind of ugly, though.
So's yer face.

(Wait till it's done before passing judgement)

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 8:02 PM

Since we're talking about skyscrapers and some have mentioned locations this is my personal bid.

Philadelphia could use a tower very similar in size and design to the Greenland Tower that is being built in Chengdu, China. It would fit the Cira Center and FMC Tower.

Such a tower should be build I think on the old Gimbel's site; or 8th and Market; it could redesign East Market Street and spread the skyline out; make it massive in total; increase the whole scene. But who can we get to build it? That's the question? Say Barclays or something!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 8:11 PM
Never been to El Paso

Quote:
Originally Posted by looper121 View Post
So's yer face.

(Wait till it's done before passing judgement)
Can we be mature enough to accept another's opinion about an inanimate object without taking it personally and reverting to personal attacks?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 8:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordElPaso View Post
Can we be mature enough to accept another's opinion about an inanimate object without taking it personally and reverting to personal attacks?
No, soon they will start asking how to block the other person.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 9:21 PM

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Scale View Post
A great city can not and should not be judged by how many or how impressive its inventory of skyscrapers is. Inga did a whole opinion piece about this awhile back. She applauds a proper proportion of mid-range development, and I agree with her.

I do not need to list off the world's cultural urban jewels with little to no "towers." And these WORLD CITIES don't care that they don't stretch into the sky, because their heart is close to the ground where the human exists.

Now I don't want to say that Tampa is one of these cities. Because it's not. But if you've ever been to Tampa, you, like me, would be impressed with how they mix in robust and aesthetically pleasing mid-range developments. Granted, albeit because of some loosey goosey zoning/planning mismanagement. Travel down some of their quaint residential corridors and its curious to see single family homes with lawn on all four sides, next to multi-family homes of slightly larger massing, next to multiple level apartment buildings, next to multiple level grocery stores with first floor parking (no underground due to watertable) and two levels of grocery store balanced atop. And then single family homes again. Sometimes there's magic in variety like that when it sprouts organically.

And I'm sure many of you have seen the plethora of research (available on YouTube) that shows that density through stunted height can trump even the tallest skyscraper jungles with their tight urban blocks (Buenos Aires, Madrid, Paris - which even beats Manhattan in density).

Admit to yourself that you just love height because you like looking up, not because you believe it's an indication of a city's value.
I was recently in Lima Peru and holy shit did it seem even more dense than NYC, even though tallest building is only around 500', maybe less. From the window of my high rise apartment, all I could see was buildings and density. I had to actually come to this site to look at the building stats to realize the city wasn't as big as it seemed.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIII View Post
Since we're talking about skyscrapers and some have mentioned locations this is my personal bid.

Philadelphia could use a tower very similar in size and design to the Greenland Tower that is being built in Chengdu, China. It would fit the Cira Center and FMC Tower.

Such a tower should be build I think on the old Gimbel's site; or 8th and Market; it could redesign East Market Street and spread the skyline out; make it massive in total; increase the whole scene. But who can we get to build it? That's the question? Say Barclays or something!

Nnnooo , forget 8th.& Market . Looks like L&I or city counsel or who ever the fuck makes these ass hole decisions will renew the
permit to keep that incredible location a fucking parking lot for at least the next five years ......

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 1:41 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R5Ryder View Post
I was recently in Lima Peru and holy shit did it seem even more dense than NYC, even though tallest building is only around 500', maybe less. From the window of my high rise apartment, all I could see was buildings and density. I had to actually come to this site to look at the building stats to realize the city wasn't as big as it seemed.
Lima population is 10 million??? I expect the density based on those numbers.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo the Great View Post
Nnnooo , forget 8th.& Market . Looks like L&I or city counsel or who ever the fuck makes these ass hole decisions will renew the
permit to keep that incredible location a fucking parking lot for at least the next five years ......

That location somehow always turns out to be the Shamwow of Real Estate. I've been waiting for that site to have a skyscraper since they tore down Gimbels. I can't remember what year that was.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture