HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 5:35 AM
A before E

The Lloyd District could definitely use a new office building....hopefully one that looked better than the current office buildings that are over there.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2016, 6:33 AM

Notice of a Public Hearing for the revisions

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 2:54 AM

Staff Report and Recommendation to the Design Commission [PDF], which does not yet recommend approval.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 7:55 PM

This is scheduled before the Design Commission tomorrow, but there are no drawings up online yet.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 9:30 AM

Drawings [PDF - 44 MB] for the phased development (showing changes to previous approval only).

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 7:55 PM

It's unfortunate that they want to put apartments in on the ground floor facing the plaza (at least they are including retail along 7th and Oregon St). Also, I think the Design Commission knows by now that U-shaped high rises do not create inviting spaces (think University Pointe). I've been wanting this to get built for almost two years now, but I wish the original concept approved last winter was the one getting built.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 7:10 PM

Revised Staff Report, which now recommends approval.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 2:03 AM

The revised Oregon Square was approved today. I only listened to the last few minutes of audio, but it sounds like it was a somewhat contentious hearing.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 5:41 PM

That's good news . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
The revised Oregon Square was approved today. I only listened to the last few minutes of audio, but it sounds like it was a somewhat contentious hearing.

I attended the hearing, but left at about 60 minutes into it because the strange back and forth and complaining about, placement of the public art, no water features and no access for cars to the Plaza.

I felt bad for the Architect from GBD. Glad it got approved!

Portland Native

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 2:48 PM

Presentation [PDF - 94 MB] from Thursday's hearing.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 7:03 PM

Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 7:17 AM

Well, I just finished listening to the audio from the October 6th hearing. I have a lot of respect for the Design Commission and the work that they do, but I think they were really wrong on one issue that they were pushing at the final hearing.

Commissioner Chair David Wark (and to a certain extent other members of the Commission) really wanted a vehicular street through the site on alignment with NE Pacific St, in order to better activate the square. While I preferred the original design, the revised Oregon Square scheme will still be a major piece of public space. Crucially, it will be a square of a type we don't already have in Portland: one where the square extends all the way to the edge of the surrounding buildings. This is something that isn't common in grid pattern cities, but that you see everywhere in Europe: Marienplatz in Munich; Plaza Mayor in Madrid; Piazza San Marco in Venice; the Piazza del Campo in Sienna; Leicester Square in London; etc etc. Cleaving a road through the middle of the space (no matter how well designed it was) would just destroy it. If there were a major street connectivity issue I could maybe get it, but NE Pacific dead ends at the BPA building in one direction and at the Convention Center in the other direction. As it is, adding cars would achieve nothing more than cluttering up the space with cars and compromising the pedestrian experience.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 7:12 AM

Oregon Square (Phased) Campus

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 7:21 AM

Block 90

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 7:27 AM

Block 91

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 7:32 AM

Block 102

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 7:36 AM

Block 103

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Well, I just finished listening to the audio from the October 6th hearing. I have a lot of respect for the Design Commission and the work that they do, but I think they were really wrong on one issue that they were pushing at the final hearing.

Commissioner Chair David Wark (and to a certain extent other members of the Commission) really wanted a vehicular street through the site on alignment with NE Pacific St, in order to better activate the square. While I preferred the original design, the revised Oregon Square scheme will still be a major piece of public space. Crucially, it will be a square of a type we don't already have in Portland: one where the square extends all the way to the edge of the surrounding buildings. This is something that isn't common in grid pattern cities, but that you see everywhere in Europe: Marienplatz in Munich; Plaza Mayor in Madrid; Piazza San Marco in Venice; the Piazza del Campo in Sienna; Leicester Square in London; etc etc. Cleaving a road through the middle of the space (no matter how well designed it was) would just destroy it. If there were a major street connectivity issue I could maybe get it, but NE Pacific dead ends at the BPA building in one direction and at the Convention Center in the other direction. As it is, adding cars would achieve nothing more than cluttering up the space with cars and compromising the pedestrian experience.
I agree. And your comments are dead on. What the commission failed to see was the opportunity to activate a space by something other than cars driving by and in essence window shopping and then deciding to stop. Spaces like you mention in Europe serve as respite to all that surrounds us in an urban environment. This area is already an employment hub and a space like Oregon Square will give those people an urban feeling space to hang out and enjoy something different than a park or street bench. The plaza today in front of the office building of Hassalo on Eighth has already been taken over by people. It is pretty cool to watch this area transform so quickly.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2016, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malix View Post
I agree. And your comments are dead on. What the commission failed to see was the opportunity to activate a space by something other than cars driving by and in essence window shopping and then deciding to stop. Spaces like you mention in Europe serve as respite to all that surrounds us in an urban environment. This area is already an employment hub and a space like Oregon Square will give those people an urban feeling space to hang out and enjoy something different than a park or street bench. The plaza today in front of the office building of Hassalo on Eighth has already been taken over by people. It is pretty cool to watch this area transform so quickly.
This is terrible news. If "activation" is their only aim, this bias against ped only commercial streets is short sighted and alarming. Perhaps someone can offer them data on similar environments that support this design? Couple questions: Were they aiming for a full time street (i.e. that continues through to Grand), or something similar to Hassalo? Were they concerned with the feasibility of car circumnavigation i.e. difficulty with Oregon and 9th? A through street to Grand would be a death blow for the plaza.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 3:22 AM

Transcript of this week's AAT earnings call. A few relevant sections:

Quote:
Ernest Rady

We believe that 2017 will be a year of repositioning investment and growth. Specifically we have three projects that we look to enhance and reposition....

The second project is Oregon Square which consists of four city blocks. In one block we are in the active lease negotiations with a full building tenant for one of our existing buildings. Another city block -- we are one of two or three finalists to develop a build to suit building for an investment grade credit tenant and the remaining two blocks we continue to work create the highest and best use for the remaining two city blocks in Oregon Square having recently obtained our entitlements in such regard at a most recent design review hearing.
Quote:
Robert Barton

Our office portfolio ended the quarter at approximately 90.1% leased, down approximately 230 basis points on a year-over-year basis primarily due to the planned winding down of approximately 121,000 square feet of leases at Oregon Square located in Phase Two of our Lloyd District Portfolio to accommodate future plan development.
Quote:
Michael Carroll

Okay, great. And then my final question is, can you give us some color on the timeframe of breaking ground on the next phase in Portland? What do you want to see before you are willing to start new projects over there?

Ernest Rady

Well, we can't give you the timeframe right now but we are proceeding on the apartment part of it to create -- to head towards the working drawings. That's probably if we were to break ground a couple years out the lease negotiations with the tenants are in process. And there are factors that are beyond their control but needless to say as soon as we can we want to convert that virtually now vacant property into income producing and we'll try and do that as quickly as we can.
Quote:
Craig Schimdt

Okay and then what is -- just on the redevelopment, development pipeline, roughly what's the stabilized period for those four projects?

Ernest Rady

You meant on Oregon Square?

Craig Schimdt

Yes.

Ernest Rady

We're just in the process now of finalizing first of all the architectural plans and the planning for the product -- the product that we're going to put in there, so the tenants that we're negotiating, that we don't have any control about when they're going to step up to the plate. So all I can tell you is, though, that we're working on it as thoroughly and completely as we can and it’s out of our control. But it's great property in a great location. We have lots of interest. Hassalo -- first phase of Hassalo has won six architectural prizes. So it's good product, we’re very happy with it but we don't control the timing.

Robert Barton

Craig, if you tour that property which I think you have is that the location really is a great location. On one side you've got the state of Oregon, on the other side you've got the Bonneville Power dam authority and you've got Kaiser headquarters for the Northwest up there. You've got 11,000 people a day working in there. I mean it's the place to be on the inner east side. And so as Ernest says we're doing everything we can to get that thing move in and we're one of three finalists on a build to suit building there. And so it's a great property, great location.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland