HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 8:50 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
Slight correction: That area is adjacent to Sun Valley, not Sunnyside. In any event, that location would not likely be used for anything else and it will help create some draw to the area. Especially with "Steam on the Platte" immediately south of them.
Whoops! My mistake in mixing up Denver's "Sun" neighborhoods.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Surprise... Unintended Consequences

I heard CNBC gave Denver an 'F' for location? There's your eliminator.
It will be interesting to see, assuming they name a group of finalists, which cities and where they are located.
Not completely true, according to the Biz Journal, Amazon HQ2 would qualify for big tax incentives.

https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/n...orado-tax.html
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Eh, this time of year when I hear 'sun or sunny' my mind goes to beaches, Bossa Nova/jazz and Ipanema Beach.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 9:30 PM

Quote:
That's ok bro, if I recall Sunnyside is northwest of Downtown even north of Highlands near 40th street west of the BNSF/UP mainline tracks (of course I moved away in April 2015 but I'm a former longtime resident and metro area native).

Btw looks like a nice high rise just south of Colfax viaduct in that Broncos development rendering..

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
Slight correction: That area is adjacent to Sun Valley, not Sunnyside. In any event, that location would not likely be used for anything else and it will help create some draw to the area. Especially with "Steam on the Platte" immediately south of them.
This spot is awesome! I've always thought this was one of the last cool untouched areas immediately adjacent to downtown. With old Colfax dipping under the interstate, the river, and the random old warehouses & cool storefronts all bricked up. Its like a scene from a movie, and very few Denver residents even know it exists. Hopefully it'll create more interest in the area and a new center for art culture. (since rino has sold its soul)

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngiNerd View Post
Not completely true, according to the Biz Journal, Amazon HQ2 would qualify for big tax incentives.

https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/n...orado-tax.html
Exactly. This.

We don't know what incentives were put into the proposal yet. However, to say they were "small" I think is misguided. If it's hundreds of millions, then that puts us on par with other competitive cities vying for HQ2.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 2:42 AM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 4:38 AM

That is an awesome shot of 1144! On the whole, I really love this building. There is something very regal about it. For me, it is easily the best designed skyscraper in the city. The only negatives I have would be: 1). I wish that it was located on a lot which showcased it more directly, as opposed to sharing the same lot with another comparably sized tower; and 2). I wish that there was some nighttime lighting on the crown. I like the vertical curtain lights but it seems incomplete without something on the top.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 4:47 AM

Instantly one of my faves; fun perspective.

I have no idea how you did that but it's very impressive.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
This spot is awesome! I've always thought this was one of the last cool untouched areas immediately adjacent to downtown. With old Colfax dipping under the interstate, the river, and the random old warehouses & cool storefronts all bricked up. Its like a scene from a movie, and very few Denver residents even know it exists. Hopefully it'll create more interest in the area and a new center for art culture. (since rino has sold its soul)
Very true. I stop by Brooklyn's down there about once a summer in July. It always strikes me what a cool little piece of Denver history is down there on Old Colfax. So much empty land all around it too. I keep thinking somebody should sandblast the paint off those old 1-story retail structures and restore a working main street - of course it would require some infill and more day-to-day activity than the occasional event at Mile High. Hopefully the city recognizes the value of the few small historic structures that exist there, and the entire area doesn't end up getting razed (I'm not sure if it's a historic district or not, but it probably should be).

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 6:05 PM

Love these shots from the Denver Post stock show parade downtown yesterday.

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/01/0...w-parade-2018/

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 7:48 PM

^ Those are awesome shots. 112 years and counting.

I can look back to when the stock show was considering moving out to Aurora and my first reaction was fine since it looked to be too difficult and expensive to relocate within Denver. So glad that those who care about long-standing Denver traditions put their heads together and came up with a winning idea and proposal. Obviously I'm looking forward to the new National Western Center.

Friday Follies

DBJ has an easy to click through of the top ten states for in-migration according to United Van Lines. What I found interesting was the visual of where these states are. Here for clicks.

Tribal leaders, Colorado officials to confer amid Denver's Outdoor Retailer show
Interesting DBJ piece about the ongoing and potential benefits of stealing the Outdoor Retailer show from Utah.

Jet maker Airbus buys flight training center in Colorado
With respect to Denver International Airport things just keeping getting busier and economically better.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 4:44 PM

Speaking of...

Sun Valley, long known as Denver’s poorest neighborhood, is going to look very different in five years
December 13, 2016 by Erica Meltzer - Denverite

Good review and some updates; nice coverage by Erica.
Few bullet point highlights:
Quote:
  • Denver Housing Authority and its partners are planning $240 million in investments over the next five years that will drastically change the neighborhood...
  • U.S. Housing and Urban Development and the Denver Housing Authority on Monday announced a $30 million Choice Neighborhoods grant that is part of the overall funding package.
  • Total public and private investment over the next 10 years is expected to be in the $500 million to $600 million range, city and housing authority officials said.
The article also reminds of the neighborhood vision they hope to accomplish. Hint: the redevelopment of Mariposa provides inspiration.
Quote:
The “transformation plan” for Sun Valley includes the creation of an EcoDistrict that will generate renewable energy within the neighborhood and improve water and stormwater management, micro-business opportunities, loans for manufacturing businesses to bring more jobs to nearby industrial areas, a “youth hub” to provide “cradle to career” services for children, an International Food Market to address food scarcity and meet the needs of immigrant families, a 10-acre riverfront park … the list goes on.
What about funding (always important)?
Quote:
All of this moving around of housing will open up land that can be sold to private developers, a practice DHA has used at three other sites in the last two years. The transformation plan calls for 1,900 homes and apartments to eventually be built in Sun Valley.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 11:22 PM

^ If the Broncos development goes pretty close to planned Sun Valley could become one of the more denser TOD's after Union Station..

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 1:19 AM

TOTAL Recall

Was testing out my new telephoto lens today, and happened upon a remnant of a corporate logo I thought was lost to history. Some may remember the red TOTAL logo atop the Denver Place South Tower. Not sure when it was installed, but it was removed around 1997 or so.

Over 20 years later, the building still offers a vague reminder of the sign, featuring small patches on its facade to cover up the holes for the sign's bolt attachments. If you play "Connect the Dots", you can essentially retrace the outline of the orignal channel signage. Not relevant to Denver development, but still a cool find I thought I'd share...

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 5:38 AM

^ There was a Total sign atop the North Tower as well-I remember working for the Census Bureau back in 1999-2000 in the old Total offices which were on floors 19-21 in the North Tower (while there I watched the construction across the street of the new Federal Court House at the time and saw them put up the crane).

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 9:59 PM

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Those are pretty amazing numbers. The speed at which gentrification is happening is stunning.

It makes sense though - many of these neighborhoods had a big uptick in student population because of their relative affordability in the late 1990s until around 2010/2011. Now that's changing.

I am curious where are these students (and their families) moving to? Where is the "more affordable" part of the metro? Or are they leaving the metro area entirely?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCreek View Post
Those are pretty amazing numbers. The speed at which gentrification is happening is stunning.

It makes sense though - many of these neighborhoods had a big uptick in student population because of their relative affordability in the late 1990s until around 2010/2011. Now that's changing.

I am curious where are these students (and their families) moving to? Where is the "more affordable" part of the metro? Or are they leaving the metro area entirely?
Many of my friends (late 20s) have moved out of Denver to Greeley, Firestone, Parker etc. As prices go up, affordability gets increasingly removed from the core. When my uncle bought his house in Northglenn thirty years ago he was at about the upper end of what he could afford and commuted in. Now his same job (which is a govt job and relatively kept pace with inflation) could not afford that same house and he would be looking in areas like Firestone for something similar. If the market continues to even marginally increase we won't be able to afford a single family house and will look elsewhere as well. A $300k house in Denver proper buys you a tear down in a bad neighborhood or small condo; it's ridiculous for new buyers.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 4:11 AM

1144 15th Street at Night

The lighting strips on the sides have recently been turned on, giving us a preview of what the building will look like in the Denver nighttime skyline from various angles. While the lighting within the side notches is cool, I find the building to be overal underwhelming at night and a major disappointment. Such an absolute shame - a travesty - that the crown isn't illuminated. 1144 falls into relative obscurity in Denver's nighttime skyline, much like Republic Plaza or 17th Street Plaza.

Even Four Seasons seems to outshine 1144 at night. Looking at 1144's top, just "MEH"...

YAWN...

While 1144 is undoubtedly one of our biggest icons in Denver's daytime skyline, it really fails to impress at nighttime - even with the side lighting strips, which were never conceived to change or rotate through color cycles as they rightly should. Such a shame that our new icon skyscraper falls into bland obscurity at nighttime. What a tremendously wasted opportunity not to have illuminated the crown to give our skyline that nighttime pinnacle we so desperately need. I guess we still have to rely on Four Seasons to crown our nighttime skyline.

On a more positive note, I was happy to see additional illumination added to our skyline. I didn't think this building was going to be lit at night, but it really adds a touch of class and handsome elegance to the skyline:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West