HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanguy View Post
I love it. I could live there looks like a very cool city. I'm hoping to be in Australia next summer to visit a friend of mine although in Sydney. Can't wait!
Their Winter, our summer was a great time to visit, not overly crowded at the beaches etc. Daytime temps were comfortable, nights were a little chilly but not bad. I also went to Sydney, will post pics later, I found Sydney warmer than Melbourne and the main parts are very walkable. It's a toss-up both are great cities. I was surprised to read the population of Sydney has grown almost a million people in 7 years. It was said to hit 5.6 million in June 2018. Melbourne is 4.8 Million and is the most densely populated city in Australia, Sydney is third for density, I forgot what two was. You'll love it, just bring money eating out is expensive, a pint at a hotel, what they call a pub, was like $15

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 5:02 AM

Flinders Street Rail Station, not the main one but one quite impressive one

Flinders platforms

Southern Cross

bus area - the airport bus is very frequent

Melbourne by snub_you, on Flickr

I liked this the parkades are above

[IMG]DSC_0132 by snub_you, on Flickr[/IMG]

DSC_0131 by snub_you, on Flickr

so much texture
DSC_0130 by snub_you, on Flickr

DSC_0129 by snub_you, on Flickr

DSC_0127 by snub_you, on Flickr

DSC_0126 by snub_you, on Flickr

DSC_0125 by snub_you, on Flickr

DSC_0122 by snub_you, on Flickr

DSC_0120 by snub_you, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 7:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
They also have Rolex, Cartier, Valentino, Armani Kids, Omega, Versace, pretty much every high-end luxury brand that exists has a store here.
I don't think I've ever seen such a concentration of luxury boutiques in a mall.
What a loss! I realize this is only suburban, but still...

Thanks for your Australian threads. Lovely country, with something vaguely "world-class" to it nowadays.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 9:12 AM
Illustrator, editor

Melbourne seems to be the most interesting and liveliest city in Australia, even above Sydney. Looks quite cold though.

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 1:34 PM

That looks cold? No one was even wearing a hat. I'll take that winter any day.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 2:23 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Their Winter, our summer was a great time to visit, not overly crowded at the beaches etc. Daytime temps were comfortable, nights were a little chilly but not bad. I also went to Sydney, will post pics later, I found Sydney warmer than Melbourne and the main parts are very walkable. It's a toss-up both are great cities. I was surprised to read the population of Sydney has grown almost a million people in 7 years. It was said to hit 5.6 million in June 2018. Melbourne is 4.8 Million and is the most densely populated city in Australia, Sydney is third for density, I forgot what two was. You'll love it, just bring money eating out is expensive, a pint at a hotel, what they call a pub, was like $15
I have heard that it's very expensive out there, luckily I won't have to pay for a hotel since i'll be staying with an old friend of mine who lives in the Northwest part of Sydney. He came up to visit me last month here in Portland and so next time it's my turn. It was kind of funny though, being that he is from such a larger and world renown city like Sydney trying to show him cool places in Portland was a bit of a challenge. Luckily, the tons of breweries, food trucks and music scene didn't disappoint but it still has nothing on Sydney. lol

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 2:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
That looks cold? No one was even wearing a hat. I'll take that winter any day.
I think that Melbourne's daytime temperatures in the winter are in mid-50s to low-60s. People react differently to those temperatures.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 10:33 PM

It felt like April in Vancouver to me, warm when the sun is up but chilly when it goes down. I was comfortable in jeans and sweatshirt, didn't need a jacket. It is in the Southern part so it is colder, the northern part of Australia was in the 30's according to the weather reports on TV. But locals were finding it cold and many had toques or beanies on and some even had parkas on. The hotel room was really cold but once you turn the heat on it was ok but you gotta let it run constantly.

We were getting heat wave warnings back home for 29-30c and when I told people they just laughed and said that's nothing compared to an Aussie Summer where it stays in the upper 30s into the 40s.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
Miss Phryne Fisher approves of this thread:

Source.

From Wikipedia:

I'll admit that, tragically, I'm easily influenced by what I read and watch, and having watched a TV series on Netflix that's based on this book series I now have an aching desire to go to Melbourne.
I too would like to visit to imagine myself in the midst of Miss Fisher's expert sleuthing during a case. Not sure if the highrises would ruin the illusion?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 2:12 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
I too would like to visit to imagine myself in the midst of Miss Fisher's expert sleuthing during a case. Not sure if the highrises would ruin the illusion?
Considering the locations they used to shoot that show, it would appear that Melbourne did an impressive job of historic preservation. That's the mark of a truly great city: considerable historic fabric overlaid with the shiny and new. When you have a decent stock of historic architecture to weigh the city down and give it character, I find the juxtaposition of old and new to be exhilarating and refreshing.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 9:49 PM

The new season of the Block Australia is renovating an old 1930's hotel in Melbourne, St Kilda. Looks like it will be good

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 12:39 PM
Vires acquirit eundo

Always interesting to see your own city through someone else's lens. Just a few fact checks

Chadstone is not a Westfield, it's owned by a different group (Vicinity). It's the largest by floor area in the country and random useless fact: it's nearer the geographic centre of Melbourne's population than the CBD.

Flinders Street is the main metro trains station (all trains will pass through, most have Flinders St as the origin or destination), Southern Cross is the main regional station & coach terminal (although it has a very high metro patronage as Docklands is on one side and the CBD the other).

The Melbourne Metro tunnel project (SpongeG posted a few pics of the Domain station construction site on St Kilda Road) won't have a stop at South Yarra and it won't go near Prahran.

Melbourne's estimated population just ticked over 5,000,000 in the past few weeks. We always talk about metropolitan populations - local councils are small and really not comparable to North American local government (City of Melbourne, an area of barely 50 square kilometres, has about 135k people). To highlight it, SpongeG took photos in three different 'Cities' (Melbourne, Stonnington and Port Phillip) in the photo set above, and they're all adjacent to one another - Chadstone (in Stonnington) to the CBD (in Melbourne) is 10km, St Kilda (in Port Phillip) is ~2-3km from South Yarra (in Stonnington)).

Melbourne's CBD is the most densely populated part of Australia, Sydney has many more densely-populated sects than Melbourne does in the top 20.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 6:13 PM
Reach for the Clouds

Interesting post Sponge G. You are a long way from Belleville now!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 9:06 PM

I was waiting for a picture of their subway. I was suprised to learn there's none! For a city of that size...
Great shots!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 9:16 PM

^ Pretty sure they have some extensive tram network over there, though.
Lemme see, I forget... Yeah, definitely.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trams_in_Melbourne

They even purchased some Citadis, those manufactured in La Rochelle.
Nice of them. The Aussies are often good customers of ours.

Nevertheless, they should design something of a bigger capicity, thus underground.
At some point, you got to go bigger for real.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos