HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 4:40 AM

Broadway/Cambie - Southeast block to be levelled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh View Post
Does anybody else know more about this rumour?

I was talking to a retailer on that block (Broadway, between Cambie and Yukon). They said everybody on the south side of the road will be moving out by Spring 2019 as "the whole block is being redeveloped".

Now normally I would have taken this with a pinch of salt. But currently at least 1large retailer there has a "Moving Out" sale going on (and that shop up until recently had been renovating, so it looked like they planned to be long-term tenants).

Just under half of that block is a city-owned office building that is pretty aged, poorly-maintained, and has a sorry state of retailers occupying the ground floor. There is also the Cambie/Broadway SkyTrain station on the extreme west corner of the block.

I can see the potential for this block to be redeveloped to incorporate the Millennium Line intersection, a mixed-use development, and ground-floor retailers. But as of yet, I've not seen anything official. It's a very high-profile junction with major foot traffic.

Maybe there is some weight in this rumour. Anybody have hard facts?

Here's a close look at that block today.

Oct.18 '18, my pics

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 3:03 PM

City Hall Campus going there...I heard something about it. Can't recall the details.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 6:48 PM

I believe parts of the block between Yukon & Cambie may be used for Broadway Subway staging. I wouldn't expect the buildings that are mid-block to go anytime soon given the shortage of office space for City staff (those buildings contain City office space).

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth View Post
I believe parts of the block between Yukon & Cambie may be used for Broadway Subway staging. I wouldn't expect the buildings that are mid-block to go anytime soon given the shortage of office space for City staff (those buildings contain City office space).
Vancouver wants the Cambie Station entrances to be built so a future City Hall campus on the block that might temporarily closing the Canada Line entrance.

https://council.vancouver.ca/2018051...nts/pspc1b.pdf

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_Yvr View Post
City Hall Campus going there...I heard something about it. Can't recall the details.
Yes I've heard through a few people that the City Hall expansion project is once again back in the works. I hope they put something architecturally unique here.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 3:52 AM

Retail Rumours:

Gucci and Kering group looking to expand significantly in Vancouver; multiple options proposed. These proposals also paint an interesting image of provisional changes in terms of retail and commercial spaces.

1) New 2 or 3 story Gucci flagship at Hotel Vancouver where current parkade is on Burrard. Porte cochere will be changed to entry on Hornby only and will lead to an underground parkade similar to the Hyatt Regency; an office will be built on where the parkade is. Proposal by IBI.

2) Royal Centre podium where current RBC is will be completely reno'd and house flagship Gucci and Botega Venetta stores along with a Neiman Marcus above. Overall massing to be similar to current RBC space but much glassier. RBC to relocate closer to Royal Tower and/or underground in Royal Centre.

Hermes to relocate next to Tiffany on a multi level space on Burrard and Georgia and Jimmy Choo to open a location next to the Rimowa/Tumi space on Alberni

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb1510 View Post
Retail Rumours:

Gucci and Kering group looking to expand significantly in Vancouver; multiple options proposed. These proposals also paint an interesting image of provisional changes in terms of retail and commercial spaces.

1) New 2 or 3 story Gucci flagship at Hotel Vancouver where current parkade is on Burrard. Porte cochere will be changed to entry on Hornby only and will lead to an underground parkade similar to the Hyatt Regency; an office will be built on where the parkade is. Proposal by IBI.

2) Royal Centre podium where current RBC is will be completely reno'd and house flagship Gucci and Botega Venetta stores along with a Neiman Marcus above. Overall massing to be similar to current RBC space but much glassier. RBC to relocate closer to Royal Tower and/or underground in Royal Centre.

Hermes to relocate next to Tiffany on a multi level space on Burrard and Georgia and Jimmy Choo to open a location next to the Rimowa/Tumi space on Alberni
Well those are some big news items. Would be great to see the rbc get over hauled

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 5:53 AM

Jimmy Choo opened quite a number of months ago. Why Neiman Marcus? Is it owned by the Hudsons Bay?

The RBC doesn't need to be in such a prime spot, that would be nice to see gone or moved.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 6:40 PM
David

I've always had a soft spot for the RBC bank pavillion on the corner there, I don't know why.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Jimmy Choo opened quite a number of months ago. Why Neiman Marcus? Is it owned by the Hudsons Bay?

The RBC doesn't need to be in such a prime spot, that would be nice to see gone or moved.
Nieman Marcus is a top-of-the-line luxury department store based in Dallas. It also owns famed Bergdorf Goodman of Manhattan.
The store itself is currently co-owned by The Toronto-based Canada Investment Plan Investment Board, and global asset management ARES Management of Los Angeles AFAIK.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 12:55 AM

I thought that the parking used by the Hotel Vancouver is in the podium of 777 Hornby?
But I could see a redevelopment of the area facing Burrard.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/900...4d-123.1207825

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I thought that the parking used by the Hotel Vancouver is in the podium of 777 Hornby?
But I could see a redevelopment of the area facing Burrard.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/900...4d-123.1207825
Like the porte cochere, not the part where you see the visible cars on the roof

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 6:23 AM

The cars are on the roof of the podium of 777 Hornby.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 12:29 PM

The proposal was here

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 5:43 PM

Don't know if it will happen in my lifetime... but if the Sahotas ever sell their Cobalt Motor Inn the whole block will be assembled. The missing piece of the puzzle is that SRO. All buildings I've been in and are in rough shape. Maybe they'll all be condemned first.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb1510 View Post
The proposal was here
Thanks.
That makes sense.
What would be interesting would be a taller hotel expansion to cover up that brick wall.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 5:10 AM

49 Floors - Over 300 rental/strata mix Homes - Downtown Peninsula - Pre-app open house Nov 20th - More later this/next week

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post
49 Floors - Over 300 rental/strata mix Homes - Downtown Peninsula - Pre-app open house Nov 20th - More later this/next week
Oooh! 49 floors should give some nice height. That's cool!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Hmm Rental/Strata mix....

3% rental, 97% strata condos ?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Georgian Towers site?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver