HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 7:33 PM

The issue with Mission Style is that a lot of the materials for the style just don't hold up well in this climate. Clay roof tiles tend to dissolve a lot faster in a much wetter, colder, climate like Chicago. I know they make products now that don't have the problem, but they haven't been used here historically because the material just never been effective against our climate. It's kinda like how you don't see a lot of cedar shake roofing in California; there weren't many trees and the sun would have destroyed the material in a few seasons. Stucco has the same problems with the freeze thaw cycle, though it is possible to make it work like they have in Minneapolis which has a huge number of stucco homes. Mission Style hasn't been built here because it doesn't belong here.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 10:56 PM

Do you think Lucas is truly considering Chicago or is this a threat to the powers that be of San Francisco?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
Do you think Lucas is truly considering Chicago or is this a threat to the powers that be of San Francisco?
I'd bet on a bit of both...

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 11:06 PM

^I think both too. I think Lucas is throwing Chicago in the mix as leverage to get exactly what he wants. It doesn't sound like he wants to compromise. Either he gets what he wants or he's moving to plan B, which is Chicago. So, it's San Fran's to lose.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 11:11 PM
1st Ward

^ Its not like the city is a bad plan B for him either, nor is it just a bargaining chip to ultimately build in SF. As has been mentioned above, he lives here part time, as he and his wife own several residences in the city. He considers Chicago his second home, and as such has a great appreciation for the city. I'm sure he didn't make this decision lightly, and is fully committed to building the museum in Chicago is SF fails to give him what he is looking for.

Honestly, I think it'll be an epic win for Chicago if we get this. A heavy hitting museum to add to our already impressive portfolio of heavy hitting cultural attractions. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for this one...

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 11:12 PM

Today
Bulls practice facility

Malcolm X College Addition

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 11:18 PM

Just got the liquor license notice for 70 E Oak which means Fig and Olive is moving forward. If I recall, they will be on the 2nd and 3rd floors of the newly constructed building. This will also include an outdoor patio on the 3rd floor. Exciting to see the Esquire redevelopment totally completed with both shopping and dining. Now if only something can be done with the ground floor of 1 mag mile

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 11:34 PM

Today
New City

Madison and Racine

Google

Facade going up

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 2:01 AM
Plenary pleasures.

^^Excellent and nicely comprehensive low-rise work, JMT - thank you!!

I've been a Star Wars nut since I was 8, and seeing that article this morning about the potential for Lucas to bring his vast collection to Chicago was surreal. But after having thought about it during most of the day, coupled with reading (and re-reading) the Tribune article and many of the genuinely thoughtful comments the folks in the forum have made, I really think that Chicago has a pretty good shot at this. The main reason is two words: Mellody Hobson.

There are numerous reasons why Chicago is the potential frontrunner:

- Deliberately thumbing his nose at the SF NIMBY elite and more than likely feeling very slighted after having kept Lucasfilm in the Bay Area for nearly 40 years, deliberately out of SoCal so as to have a thriving post-production facility close to where he grew up. As shrewd a businessman as he is, Lucas is very nostalgic and can be highly sensitive to criticism, whether for his films (the NYT film critic Pauline Kael's name was immortalized as one of the villains in 'Willow' which he wrote, as 'General Kael', after skewering his earlier films), or philosophies on the film-making business (he HATES the vast majority of Hollywood's elite, and famously surrendered his DGA membership because he refused to put his credits first in front of Star Wars, which had been the DGA-directed standard for decades). I think the straw that broke the camel's back was the fact the many in the PUBLIC arena in SF rejected not one, but three separate proposals for his planned museum there, according to the Metropolis article, so I think in terms of a professional level, he's done with the West Coast in general. And considering he sold Lucasfilm and all of it's subsidiaries almost 2 years ago, it would be a pretty clean cut, frankly.

- I really had a feeling (I 'searched my feelings' and knew it to be true) that the $25 million donation to the U of C lab school was potentially just the beginning of his philanthropic endeavors, even for what he could do in Chicago. More than likely due to his wife's persuasion.

- His three oldest children are all in their 20s-30s, have moved on and have their own families, and perhaps he has no personal ties to the Bay Area anymore. His focus is now on his wife and new baby daughter, and I for one believe he's being sincere when he says he feels as though Chicago has welcomed him very warmly, as I have heard from more than one socially well-connected friend that he and Mellody Hobson have developed a nice little social niche amongst Chicago's elite, and are very content in their personal lives here.

Considering that two of the three issues above are perhaps directly related to his wife, I really don't believe that SF is in the running for this massive project anymore. At. All.

As sensitive as Lucas might be regarding his business and philanthropic concerns, he is a strong proponent of American art and Americana in general, and he really does appear to appreciate the cultural offerings of Chicago so I think he is very genuine about bringing his museum and it's massive endowment here. I'm sure Rahm will pull out all of the stops in making sure it does happen here...and when it does, it will be HUGE for Chicago.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Do you mean the River East Art Center?
Yeah, I just realized that; it's a distinction with little difference, but technically that's the name. The "North Pier" moniker was confusing for many too, back in the day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XIII View Post
You can't discount the fact that [ . . . ] they've been trying to get this through the committees there for 4 years and the reception has been more than icy.

They've offered him space next to the Lucasfilm offices instead of the golden gate view that was up for bid. To me, it seems to go against the message of the museum (bigger than just a Star Wars museum).
To this I would add: George Lucas is 69 years old. If you have a life project of creating a new museum, and that museum is huge, and part of the life project is to share with the world your lifetime collection of cultural items ... I don't think you just sit around, if you're 69 years old. This'll take 3 or 4 years before it opens, and I would think procrastinating important things is not an option when you're looking at being in your mid-70s. If the Presidio Plan B was moderately acceptable to him, he probably would have accepted it at some point during these last 4 years. But now, having married Mellody last year, the Chicago option has come up, and it gives him a ready trigger to pull.

I also think the tourism numbers are important -- especially since we're talking about the Presidio. Does San Francisco really want more attractions in spread-out locations like that? Access to the Presidio is pretty convoluted, compared to most SF city attractions, which are walkable within downtown. This would clog those streets with more buses, taxis, and cars. Similarly, the number of SF tourists interested in visiting the Presidio for this would be limited by the inconvenient location. On top of that, SF is a place you visit for food and other real culture; I think a Lucas museum would in large part be regarded as more of a pop culture destination, which is more of an LA thing and not what most SF visitors want to spend their precious few days doing.

Finally, the demographic visiting this museum would likely skew fairly young, and SF is a rather pricey city for tourists. Chicago has great, cheap access from other cities, has reasonably priced accommodations, and the bus or rail access to the museum would likely be cheap and quick. I can also see tons of Midwestern families making road trips to bring their kids to see a museum like this.

The Presidio site just seems handicapped in various respects. If he were going for a (L.A.) Getty type experience it would be a great location, but I suspect this institution will be catering more to the masses.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 1:03 PM
The City

^ agree with this argument. A George Lucas museum seems best fit for LA, Chicago, or perhaps NYC. Not sure about SF

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Now if only something can be done with the ground floor of 1 mag mile
I can't figure out why that space has been empty for so long. I mean, CHANEL used to be in there. It's in an enviable locale.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 2:32 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

I think for the type of museum, Los Angeles or New York City makes the most sense. But if it is his heart he is following then San Francisco is actually the most logical place being as it is the place he grow up in and Chicago is the second most logical choice being as its his adopted home.

I hope he constructs a new structure maybe at Jackson Park since the museum is sort of inline with the Museum of Science and Industry. Please not Lakeside Center East, in my opinion that place needs to be torn down its dis-joins the lakefront.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPChicago View Post
I hope he constructs a new structure maybe at Jackson Park since the museum is sort of inline with the Museum of Science and Industry. Please not Lakeside Center East, in my opinion that place needs to be torn down its dis-joins the lakefront.
HERESY! Lakeside Center should be landmarked. I'll bet you wanted to tear Prentice and Reese hospital down too...

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
Facade going up
Those courses are ... kinda gross. And it looks like the large and small ones were flip-flopped from what they were on the original building (and the planned renovation design).

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 3:16 PM
Marina City

Obama Library and Lucas Museums on Meigs field to form a real Museum campus?? ...or is that idea sacreligious?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 3:22 PM
Marina City

Hell, through the Childrens Museum on Northerly Island too!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8spires View Post
Obama Library and Lucas Museums on Meigs field to form a real Museum campus?? ...or is that idea sacreligious?
Blasphemer! No new buildings on the lakefront, that has been illegal since time began. Use the ones we already have on the lakefront or build it on the other side of the Drive...

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPChicago View Post
Tear it down!! That place is hideous and never should have been built there and never should have been rebuilt after it burned down.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 3:41 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlr70 View Post
I can't figure out why that space has been empty for so long. I mean, CHANEL used to be in there. It's in an enviable locale.
Wait, Chanel is no longer located at the Drake ground-floor space? I just drove past that area less than two months ago huh..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development