HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 4:32 PM
Exit 298

Our first shots of the Legacy Connector Road

The story here is in 10-20 years this freeway will connect Legacy Hwy and I-15 just south of the US89 interchange, and it will run to to Legacy North.

Naturally Davis County residents are acting like Utah County folks and saying "Not in my back yard."

Seriously. In WVC (Salt Lake Co.) they're gonna demolish like what? 100+ homes. And nobody is complaining. Yet in Utah and Davis Counties they propose demolishing a few dozen homes, and everyone gets up in arms.

Anyway, enough of my soapbox rant. I though you might find the pic interesting.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2007, 4:31 AM

Where is that picture showing?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2007, 12:53 PM

Now they want to halt plans for the Mountain View corridor because of the clean air health risks . I wish these groups would put half as much effort into the transition of our automobiles. I know Gov. Huntsman just converted his Suburban to natural gas, ".70 cents a gallon,but even more important a tiny fraction of the pollution emitted." And now it would seem that attractive and very viable full electric vehicles are just around the corner.

http://www.deseretnews.com/dn/view/0...193540,00.html

Old Posted Jun 24, 2007, 4:27 PM

That's ridiculous. There are going to be people travelling into/out of/around SL County no matter what the road situation is, but if there's only one major freeway, it just means those cars are going to be spending longer to get to the same destinations, which means more emissions. Building a reliever freeway would actually improve air quality because it would allow more cars to get to their destinations more quickly, using less gasoline and emitting less pollution.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2007, 5:19 PM

we really need a new highway in utah valley!!!, omg we only have i 15 here and the traffic is rediculus!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2007, 6:50 PM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Now they want to halt plans for the Mountain View corridor because of the clean air health risks.
They don't have a prayer of stopping the Mountain View Corridor. There's too much general concensus that it needs to be built. Money is the only thing holding back the bulldozers right now.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2007, 8:01 PM
Exit 298

I just re-read the article, and it's making me mad.

Quote:
Barrios, who just bought her home, agreed to send a letter to Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr., asking him to make a transit line along 5600 West a priority in the area, instead of the Mountain View. The transit line is included on long-range transportation plans as something to build in maybe 20 years.
Yeah, I can just see the picture in her (and general humanity's) head.... "Mass transit is great! It's the future! Won't it be wonderful to have the road empty for me while everyone else rides the train to work."

Then in 2022 we'll all be sitting at red lights ever 2 blocks on 5600 West blaming UDOT for not keeping up with new growth.

I'm not against TRAX expansion ... I just don't like the group's real agenda.... read between the lines, it says "stop the freeway."

Last edited by i-215; Jun 25, 2007 at 8:08 PM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2007, 8:21 PM

I would really like them to build both the freeway and the transit line together. Set the opening date for the same. That way everyone in the area has the same choices.

It would be the best of both, give people a bypass while also giving people transit.

I think that they need to have a long range plan that adds a commuter rail line from the Eagle Mountain area, along the west side of the SL Valley and to the IM Hub. It would serve, the western part of Utah County and Western SL County.

I think Commuter Rail in conjunction with Light Rail and a 4 lane MVC would help almost all transit concerns for the west side of the SL Valley for a long time to come.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2007, 9:40 PM
Exit 298

Perhaps that would be a good compromise. Right now a 5600 W transit line would be useless without the TRAX connections.

Maybe BRT until LRT?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2007, 9:51 PM

The 5600 West light rail line is slated to be an extension of the airport line.

I do think it would be a good idea to get a BRT line going on 5600 West until LRT to the airport is finished and they can start the LRT extension.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2007, 10:05 PM
Exit 298

From what I understand that's the idea. BRT could be coming to the Valley Fair Mall within the next year or two ... and then rail will eventually replace payment, but the stations will not need to change.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 6:27 PM
Exit 298

UDOT has a pretty cool interactive map feature of the new I-15 in Utah County.

http://www.udot.utah.gov/i15utahcounty/

Click on "Interactive Map" on the left side of the page.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2007, 7:56 PM
Exit 298

Provo's mayor is backing a beltway

I got excited at the headline, until I saw the beltway was on the wrong side of I-15. Oh well, 20 years too late for an east side belt way. At least there's hope for the west side.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,695192928,00.html

Old Posted Jul 18, 2007, 8:39 PM

That Utah Co. transit map is cool. Imagine 6 lanes each way down to Orem and 5 each way to Spanish Fork. Add in the proposed commuter rail and that should solve a lot of Ut. County's traffic problems for the forseeable future.

I think its interesting they have an interchange proposed at 800 S. in Orem. Thats only 4 blocks north of the Univ. Pkwy interchange. It would certainly open up that area and give increased access to UVU, but that is awfully close together for two interchanges.

The years they are reconstructing I-15 are going to be horrible. I remember how bad it was in SL County before the Olympics, and there were many more alternates such as State St/215 that we just don't have in Ut. County. Not looking forward to that part of it.

When does it start? I had heard 2011 awhile back. That is quickly coming upon us.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2007, 9:03 PM

Okay, so if they widen Geneva, which is overdue and fix the kinks on State Street, "like that railroad underpass in Pleasant Grove," maybe we will survive. I wouldn't want to commute from say Orem/Provo to the north every day. I remember talk of a commuter rail being up before the I-15 construction. Pretty much like what they're doing with the Ogden to Salt Lake line. Is that still in the works also?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2007, 9:10 PM

I had posted this on the SLC development thread, Should have been posted here. Oh well, sorry

Big overhaul of I-80 begins this fall.

http://www.deseretnews.com/dn/view/0...192821,00.html

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 3:49 AM

Robert Moses

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
Provo's mayor is backing a beltway

I got excited at the headline, until I saw the beltway was on the wrong side of I-15. Oh well, 20 years too late for an east side belt way. At least there's hope for the west side.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,695192928,00.html
i-215, have you ever heard of a man by the name of Robert Moses? Read up on him I think you two would have a lot in common.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 4:35 PM
Exit 298

Actually I am somewhat of a Robert Moses fan....except that Robert Moses.

* Was corrupt, and used highway building to entrench himself in city government.

* Tried to apply the principles of highway planning to downtown areas, where it disrupted walkable neighborhoods.

Beyond that, I think he had the right idea. Build a fantastic grid of good solid arterials, and connect a freeway through as a "bypass option" to get the traffic that's passing through town off the city streets.

The idea in Provo would be that I-15 is for those passing through, and an eastside/westside beltway would be to get cars that would normally clog streets like University and Center Street onto something designed for cars, opening those streets up for people.

I am an advocate for creating a new major east-west arterial at either 800 North or Bulldog Blvd, and connect that with I-15 rather than building a new Center Street. That gets the cars off Center Street, and opens the street up for what it who it's intended: Pedestrians.

Anyhow, that's how I justify being a freeway nut - but still supporting walkable sections of town.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
Actually I am somewhat of a Robert Moses fan....except that Robert Moses.

* Was corrupt, and used highway building to entrench himself in city government.

* Tried to apply the principles of highway planning to downtown areas, where it disrupted walkable neighborhoods.

Beyond that, I think he had the right idea. Build a fantastic grid of good solid arterials, and connect a freeway through as a "bypass option" to get the traffic that's passing through town off the city streets.

The idea in Provo would be that I-15 is for those passing through, and an eastside/westside beltway would be to get cars that would normally clog streets like University and Center Street onto something designed for cars, opening those streets up for people.

I am an advocate for creating a new major east-west arterial at either 800 North or Bulldog Blvd, and connect that with I-15 rather than building a new Center Street. That gets the cars off Center Street, and opens the street up for what it who it's intended: Pedestrians.

Anyhow, that's how I justify being a freeway nut - but still supporting walkable sections of town.
Crazy. The truth is there are only so many transportation dollars to spend. If you build a s*#tload of freeways than there will be no money left for more effective/urban rail transit. You can't have your massive new freeways and walkable neighborhoods, they will always be at odds with each other. Look up "How Cities Work" by Alex Marshall he explains it quite well.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2007, 5:47 AM
Exit 298

See, that's where I disagree.

Utah is building a great light rail system in tandem with several new freeways planned. The key is to success is having both!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West