HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremoncton View Post
Are you claiming that the board is lying?

[B]No consultation with

Lying is a harsh word. Rather, I hope someone drops by the Crossman Centre this evening and asks Dennis Cochrane if they've met with the board, and if so, on what dates, and where. I hope his answers get posted here.
It could prove surprising.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 12:33 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

So, did anyone have a chance to go to the public presentation on the MH35 project?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 5:11 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...osal-1.3635849

Today's article mentions that the floor plan has been redesigned to
Quote:
accommodate the library's concern.
I don't see mention anywhere of the financial impact (moving vs staying), but I guess the business plan is in the hands of the city.
Quote:
No decision will be made on the proposal to move the library until the company's business plan has been reviewed, said city manager Jacques Dubé in May.
If they approve it, then I suppose it's all good.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 3:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

According to the T&T, vandals have broken into the old MHS building several times this winter, once emptying the contents of a couple of fire extinguishers into the auditorium.

This, more than anything else should give our politicians some impetus to find a solution to the future use of MHS as soon as possible. Every single day that building remains vacant increases the risk of something catastrophic (like arson) happening.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 2:25 PM

It's been pretty quiet as of late... So much for the "gotta get this thing done asap" attitude. I did mention in my earlier post that the city was supposed to evaluate the business plan in may...

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 3:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Very informative interview with Dennis Cochrane about the MH35 project on Buzz TV. He brings a lot of perspective to this and is quite persuasive.

http://buzzlocal.tv/share.php?id=10874&thumb=525

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patapouf26 View Post
It's been pretty quiet as of late... So much for the "gotta get this thing done asap" attitude. I did mention in my earlier post that the city was supposed to evaluate the business plan in may...
According to the city, there is a joint committee between it and the province that has been established to evaluate all submitted proposals. The results should revealed before the end of the year.

Liberally translated from :
Quote:
Un comité conjoint entre la Province du Nouveau-Brunswick et la Ville de Moncton a été mis sur pied afin d'évaluer toutes les propositions déposées. Le résultat de ce travail minutieux sera dévoilé avant la fin de l'année.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 11:53 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

It will be very interesting to see what transpires from this committee.

MLA Chris Collins ruffled a lot of feathers with his "take it or leave it" comments about moving the Moncton Public Library, especially within the library board.

I expect there was truth in both their positions. I don't think MH35 initially consulted with the library board about their plans, and I also believe that, once they were aware about what was up, the library board was not in any mood to cooperate with MH35. A bit of arrogance on one side and stubbornness on the other.

It is wise to let things settle down and see if there is a middle ground available for compromise. Personally, I don't imagine the library board will agree voluntarily with a move, and I also imagine that they have the sympathy of the mayor. The city council on the other hand might support a move, and ultimately it is the city council vote that matters (the mayor only voted in a tie situation).

If the province sweetens the deal enough, I think the library will move.......

Old Posted Sep 24, 2016, 3:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Apparently the MH35 group is awaiting feedback from the city and the province on a "revised business plan" for the old Moncton High School.

They expect to hear back from the city within the next six weeks.

It sounds as if they have little faith that the library will voluntarily move. They are looking at other options. Apparently they expect the Anglophone East school board to occupy 17,000 sq ft on the second floor, and of course space for the Atlantic Ballet Theatre school and the auditorium as well. The rest is up for grabs.

Dennis Cochrane would like to start construction next May if possible, but without a complete plan, that timeline may be unreasonable.........

Old Posted Dec 14, 2016, 12:31 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Update on the MH35 proposal from CBC:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...hool-1.3894976

Basically, it will now be February before they hear anything back from the city regarding the possibility of moving the library. With Dawn Arnold now the mayor, I imagine that the current city council will be somewhat disinclined to commit to such a move. It will be interesting to see what counterproposal they might have in mind.

In essence, there are firm plans for the old auditorium and gymnasium (performing arts centre & space for the Atlantic Ballet Theatre of Canada). It is the future of the old education wings which is in doubt.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 2:23 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here is the City of Moncton's official stance regarding the old Moncton High School building:

Update from City of Moncton on the former Moncton High School building

There has been much discussion surrounding the future of the former Moncton High School (MHS) building.

As 2016 comes to an end, here is an update on this file from the City of Moncton’s perspective:

Current Status of the building

- The Province of New Brunswick (PNB) owns the building as well as the land; the Department of Transportation and Infrastructure (DTI) is responsible for maintaining both.
- There have been two previous attempts at developing the property through a Request for Proposal (RFP). Both were unsuccessful.
- The building remains empty; however the Province is maintaining both heat and electricity to prevent deterioration.
- The City of Moncton’s Fire Prevention Division regularly inspects the building under the vacant and abandoned building procedure.

How is the Province of New Brunswick involved?

- The property continues to be listed publicly (http://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/de...y_surplus.html) as surplus to the Province of New Brunswick.
- Provincial officials continue to receive requests for information from interested parties; they regularly show the property and remain open to receiving redevelopment proposals.
- The Province of New Brunswick continues to direct potential developers to contact the City to discuss the municipal plan and by-law implications, as well as heritage property details.
- The Province recognizes that this is an important local asset and interested developers will need to obtain the proper municipal zoning, heritage and building inspection approvals prior to commencing any type of work on the building and property.

Why is the City of Moncton involved in the former Moncton High School?

- City officials and the community wish to preserve the iconic building as best as possible.
- The former Moncton High School is a municipally designated Heritage Property.
- The City has jurisdiction over the zoning process and any future development proposal will need future municipal building permit(s).
- One of the public proposals on the table has identified the City of Moncton as a partner. In light of this, the proposed business plan is being analyzed. This proposal also calls for the Moncton Public Library to be relocated as part of the project; as a result, the City is now in the process of evaluating the feasibility costs of moving the library into the redeveloped building and the implication of such a move (e.g. architectural design, cost-estimates, property tax implications, impact on the downtown core).
- There are also other proponents with redevelopment projects for review by both the City and Province.

A joint City and Provincial Working Group is established

On April 5, 2016, city staff was asked (by City Council) to assess all submitted project concepts, via a joint municipal-provincial working group, and make a recommendation to City Council. As a complex project, both parties are evaluating all viable business plans with the same lens and criteria. Furthermore, City Council has determined that the former Moncton High School property is a priority in its 2016-2020 Action Plan. It calls for the City to work with the Province and the community to repurpose the former Moncton High School (p. 18).

What’s next?

- The joint Province/City working group will continue to review and analyze all viable business plans submitted to the Province of New Brunswick.
- An independent analysis of the implications to moving the library is underway.
- Council will receive a staff report on these findings by the end of February 2017

This document is just about as non committal as any government document could possibly be. All options remain on the table.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 2:33 AM

That sounds like a Gary Bettman NHL press conference ^^^

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 1:24 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Some new interior renderings of the proposed public library at MH35 from the MH35 website (http://mh35.ca)

And an interesting flyby animation, again with an interior tour of the proposed library:

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 3:07 AM

I find this concept for the old Moncton High School very underwhelming.
The Public Library is so much more accessible downtown. I think the high school building and property could be put to better use as an extensive centre of the performing arts.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodiacCanuck View Post
I find this concept for the old Moncton High School very underwhelming.
The Public Library is so much more accessible downtown. I think the high school building and property could be put to better use as an extensive centre of the performing arts.
There is another issue in toe as well as the city has admitted in a press release the old Moncton High School building is still for sale by the province, and none of the groups involved in this project wants to purchase the property but try to push the new owner (s) to allow them to build there vision. Not many people buy a property to be told by someone else what can, and should be built there. Same issue with MCA the building is for sale, and the city has apparently told the group using the building they would talk to any new owner about allowing the current group to continue using the building.

People who are not part of the MH35 Project from what I've heard are wondering why group MH35, and the city are so into this project, and getting whomever on board with there vision but din't really care about any of the other converted schools in the city, and there are a few.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 8:48 PM

The city is forking over the money for the humanity project to buy the MCA.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2016, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
People who are not part of the MH35 Project from what I've heard are wondering why group MH35, and the city are so into this project, and getting whomever on board with there vision but din't really care about any of the other converted schools in the city, and there are a few.
Long time lurker!

I actually heard that one of the guy in the MH35 group re-purposed the Essex School into apartments in the 90's. I'm just glad someone is interested in MHS.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2016, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodiacCanuck View Post
I think the high school building and property could be put to better use as an extensive centre of the performing arts.
The library is just a part of the project since it needs a paying tenant. Performing are great and all but won't bring enough money and from what I understood from the presentation, there will be an arts component as well.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonis View Post
The library is just a part of the project since it needs a paying tenant. Performing are great and all but won't bring enough money and from what I understood from the presentation, there will be an arts component as well.
What's the rent though? The province originally said MHS would cost upwards of $40M to renovate, which is why they went with a new school out in Tankville at a cheaper $30M. Is the Library expected to pay a rent upwards of $500,000/y? Up from their current $1/month? Did they say in the presentation how much $$ MH35 would be putting into the project?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
What's the rent though? The province originally said MHS would cost upwards of $40M to renovate, which is why they went with a new school out in Tankville at a cheaper $30M. Is the Library expected to pay a rent upwards of $500,000/y? Up from their current $1/month? Did they say in the presentation how much $$ MH35 would be putting into the project?
Talked to my Brother, and it seems everyone but Library staff keeps talking about the libraries impending move to the old MHS building except they don't want to move there is no way they will ever see there 1$ rent again, and I'm pretty sure with the space the MH35 crew drew up for the public library would cost 550,000$ give, or take at today's rental rates.

I said it before, and will say it again with the Province selling the school, and the push to make a deal with both the city, and MH35 this will make it harder to sell the building, and land.

As for the MCA building, and the Humanity project they have a time limit to work with for purchasing the building otherwise they will sell it off to a developer, and the Humanity project will loose out. At least that's what I get from the info I was given.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces