HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Post Office Redevelopment Tower [1] in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 2:06 PM

Starting to remind me of the J.W. marriot renovation.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Who knows - I'm guessing any type of business. That is a lot of space. My office is something like 125,000 sq ft and we have over 500 people working in that. Just imagine 2.25 million sq ft was similar to that - you'd have close to 10,000 people working there.

I think that if they can develop this thing the right way for the types of spaces business can use or at least renovate to (and not merely just "it looks great") then I think it would lure some companies either away from the suburbs or companies looking to move to a new city. It's right near the Clinton Blue Line stop and Union Station, not far of a walk from the LaSalle Street Metra stop, right near 2 major expressways, and the walk is doable from one of the Pink/Purple/Brown line stops. It's also walkable from parts of South Loop and Riverline development is going to be right there.

The transit coverage in that area is excellent. If they can do the marketing and get companies there, I don't think they'll have a problem filling it up within a handful of years.

They are already starting a big marketing push, the fences on van buren have promotional material attached, I'll see if I can get a picture of it when I'm in the area.

They are talking to prospective tenants already and most of the available space is a blank slate that can be built out to suit the tenant's needs. From what I've heard through the grapevine, they are talking to some big name tenants. I'm excited to see what it develops into.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammisAran View Post
They are already starting a big marketing push, the fences on van buren have promotional material attached, I'll see if I can get a picture of it when I'm in the area.

They are talking to prospective tenants already and most of the available space is a blank slate that can be built out to suit the tenant's needs. From what I've heard through the grapevine, they are talking to some big name tenants. I'm excited to see what it develops into.
Welcome to the forum! (great name btw) That is indeed exciting to hear the city trying to convince big name tenants to relocate to the Post Office. Having a HQ or two relocate to the building as soon as it's open will truly be a boon to the Southwest Loop. There's so much potential to this section of downtown.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammisAran View Post

I would better hope they would start doing their marketing push now. Can you share with us whether these are HQ type of tenants or are they big office types of tenants? Stuff from out of the area or just relocating from the area? You don't have to name names of course - welcome to the forum!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
I would better hope they would start doing their marketing push now. Can you share with us whether these are HQ type of tenants or are they big office types of tenants? Stuff from out of the area or just relocating from the area? You don't have to name names of course - welcome to the forum!
They are pursuing anyone who can take an entire floor. They had a huge push to get Northern Trust but obviously they lost out to the CNA building. I've heard some other interesting names but none outside of the CBD or the burbs.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 5:41 PM

Quote:
I would better hope they would start doing their marketing push now.
I heard from a friend in commercial RE that they are actively pushing full floor plates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiModal View Post
They are pursuing anyone who can take an entire floor.
Exactly.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiModal View Post
They are pursuing anyone who can take an entire floor. They had a huge push to get Northern Trust but obviously they lost out to the CNA building. I've heard some other interesting names but none outside of the CBD or the burbs.
Who in the burbs? I work for a large company HQ'ed in the burbs. The offices are overcrowded and we're growing. Would love to move here.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 2:57 PM

$12.8 million renovation permit issued for the replacement of the building's 2,404 windows.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
This is a huge building, 2.5 million square feet. What are they hoping will occupy all this?
Amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/amazonhq2

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_b View Post

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 3:16 PM

This would be the perfect space for them. In the RFP they mention that they are willing to use a mixture of new construction and existing buildings. The Post Office gives them millions of square feet plus there are many empty lots and underutilized buildings not far from there. There is quick access to all Metra lines (except maybe the electric) and most L trains, too.

The Post Office would be an iconic building with tons of amenities, newly refurbished, and right on the river. Amazon would be getting a "look at me" type building. And, they can build all around it. This is such a perfect location based on the RFP.

Sorry if poorly written, I'm multitasking

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 5:04 PM

You can't get much more visible than a HQ in a building with a highway literally going through it. Can you imagine a big Amazon logo at the top right over the freeway?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 7:28 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmmcnam2 View Post
This would be the perfect space for them. In the RFP they mention that they are willing to use a mixture of new construction and existing buildings. The Post Office gives them millions of square feet plus there are many empty lots and underutilized buildings not far from there. There is quick access to all Metra lines (except maybe the electric) and most L trains, too.

The Post Office would be an iconic building with tons of amenities, newly refurbished, and right on the river. Amazon would be getting a "look at me" type building. And, they can build all around it. This is such a perfect location based on the RFP.
I agree - it's just a block from the Blue Line, for a single-seat ride to O'Hare in ~50 minutes, and less than a ten minute walk from two Loop stations serving Orange, Brown, Pink and Purple lines. Red Line is a bit far, but people could transfer at the Library stop. Ogilvey is about a 10 minute walk. I could see them running a shuttle on VanBuren and Harrison to serve the Lasalle and Metra Electric stations if it was really necessary, such a shuttle could also pick up Red Line and Green Line riders who didn't want to transfer.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Can you imagine a big Amazon logo at the top right over the freeway?
id rather not

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 8:54 PM

Lot to like about the city too. Strong and growing tech sector means they have a ready talent pool. Nearby access to large universities with strong engineering programs. O'Hare has a long list of destinations, domestic and international, served via direct flights. Not mentioned by others but very important to Amazon would be the ready access to high speed data due to the confluence of fiber optic networks in Chicago and the large number of high capacity data centers.

The post office though might be too small for their purpose particularly if they're looking to put everyone under a single roof.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK47 View Post
Lot to like about the city too. Strong and growing tech sector means they have a ready talent pool. Nearby access to large universities with strong engineering programs. O'Hare has a long list of destinations, domestic and international, served via direct flights. Not mentioned by others but very important to Amazon would be the ready access to high speed data due to the confluence of fiber optic networks in Chicago and the large number of high capacity data centers.

The post office though might be too small for their purpose particularly if they're looking to put everyone under a single roof.
From the Tribune:

Quote:
One existing building that could be proposed is the former old main post office along the river and Congress Parkway. The long-vacant, hulking structure is only about one-third the size of Amazon's eventual requirement, but the property includes land that could be developed with additional buildings. New York-based developer 601W Cos. already has begun extensive construction work as it seeks office and retail tenants.
Chicago will bid for Amazon's second headquarters — and its 50,000 jobs

Also, Amazon spans approximately 30 buildings in Seattle, so I'm sure wherever HQ2 is located they'll likely occupy numerous buildings. It sounds like they're looking to create an urban campus.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 9:33 PM

They're definitely going to require a good number of buildings (8 million sq. ft.!!!).

This may be wishful thinking, but I'm wondering whether they've already been considering this site and in discussion with relevant parties. Many of their criteria are almost uncannily fitting for this location (~45 min to airport, near major highway, transit options, nearby housing opportunities and greenfields (Related site??)). If the Post Office has 2.6m sq ft and the size is zoned for an additional 5 million, the total 7.6m puts it almost right at the potential goal.

The only problem is they initially want only 500k-1m. Would amazon want to be in a building with other tenants, especially if that building will eventually be one of many in a large campus?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 12:53 AM

God damn that would be huge. Makes the original 'pipe dream' for this site seem no so far fetched

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
God damn that would be huge. Makes the original 'pipe dream' for this site seem no so far fetched
The original pipe dream would have to happen to accommodate it. How sweet would a 2000' Amazon tower here be? Would be a fitting sister to the Sears named after the last retail innovator of this magnitude...

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
The original pipe dream would have to happen to accommodate it. How sweet would a 2000' Amazon tower here be? Would be a fitting sister to the Sears named after the last retail innovator of this magnitude...
A megatall Amazon tower in Chicago just seems right to me...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development