HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 7:14 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ i want to be upset by that, but the elston corridor up to diversey is a completely suburbanized lost cause at this point anyway.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Mar 13, 2019 at 7:31 PM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 7:30 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

^^ Are we talking about the lots just north or south of Elston? If talking about south of Elston that's really too bad. Thought it would make a very good location for a pocket park there.

.....The West side of Elston I have absolutely no issue being an auto-center retail hellscape. It makes sense give proximity to the Kennedy and UP-NW train embankment. It would be nice to see the east side of Elston eventually turn into a continuous walkable mixed-use neighborhood continuation along the north bank however.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 7:30 PM
The City

^ It's almost better if we allow some auto oriented development in a few defined areas and corridors as a "release valve" so that we can focus on making the rest of the city as urban as possible

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 11:42 PM

There is a zoning application to renovate 1100 W Fulton Market (Fulton Market & Aberdeen) into retail and office with a new 5 story addition on the small surface lot to the west of the building. This is a block from Google.

By the way, I think TUP was talking about it but yes there's demand. Not only did a company looking to expand their office space big time have to turn down Fulton Market because there was no office space available ASAP for their size, but another company ServiceNow has just leased 2 floors (48,000 sq ft) at 1201 W Lake (https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...-fulton-market). Demand is definitely there.

Current: https://www.google.com/maps/place/11...!4d-87.6547591

Addition on the left:

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
There is a zoning application to renovate 1100 W Fulton Market (Fulton Market & Aberdeen) into retail and office with a new 5 story addition on the small surface lot to the west of the building. This is a block from Google.

By the way, I think TUP was talking about it but yes there's demand. Not only did a company looking to expand their office space big time have to turn down Fulton Market because there was no office space available ASAP for their size, but another company ServiceNow has just leased 2 floors (48,000 sq ft) at 1201 W Lake (https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...-fulton-market). Demand is definitely there.
Who wasn't able to find space?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Who wasn't able to find space?
Upwork which is based in Mountain View, CA. This is from January 30th. They are going to go near OPO at 525 W Van Buren and leasing nearly 70,000 sq ft. Based on my calculations, they are probably going to be adding another 400-500+ people in Chicago. Current office is 224 N Desplaines.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...est-loop-lease

Quote:
Fulton Market didn't have the immediately available space for Upwork to grow, according to Gilpin, which sent the company looking elsewhere.

"Union Station is one of the fastest-growing areas in the West Loop and a key transportation hub," Gilpin's statement said. "Our team is excited to be part of its revitalization and tech expansion, while remaining centrally adjacent to the river and central loop."

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 2:22 PM
devout Pizzatarian

* moderator note *

all discussion of the new One Central mega-development over the IC tracks has been moved to the highrise thread: https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/sho...26#post8505426

Last edited by Steely Dan; Mar 14, 2019 at 4:32 PM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 4:26 PM

Who's gonna start a thread for the "One Central" mega development proposal in the south loop next to soldier field?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 11:53 PM

Dearborn Station

March 6

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 12:25 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagodeckerdude View Post
Who's gonna start a thread for the "One Central" mega development proposal in the south loop next to soldier field?
You can't do this because why? Just look at other subject titles and start the thread. You can't move discussions there, but if you announce it's presence, mods will do that work for you eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ It's almost better if we allow some auto oriented development in a few defined areas and corridors as a "release valve" so that we can focus on making the rest of the city as urban as possible
I've always thought that the worst part about expressway transit was that it put two radically different, and often incompatible, forms of development in direct competition. In an ideal world, car-oriented development would go along expressways, dense, pedestrian-oriented development would go along rapid transit lines that were purposely not near expressways or arterial streets, and SFH and 2-flat development with light commercial districts would go between the two. That "in-between" area would allow residents access to car-oriented stuff without contributing negatively to pedestrian experiences, while still allowing them imperfect but usable access to the pedestrian areas. That'd be win-win in my world. People like me who don't want a car could have a pedestrian Utopia, car-lovers could still gain advantages of cities, families could benefit from both, and cities would continue to have something for everyone.
My current active camera gear: Nikon D750, Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 zoom, Nikon 85mm f1.8G, Nikon 50mm f1.4D, Nikon 70-300mm f4-5.6, Nikkor 135mm f3.5 manual focus, Nikkor 55mm f3.5 manual focus, Nikon PB-4 Bellows. Collectible gear: Nikon F4s, Nikon D1, Nikon N4004s (my very first SLR)

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 2:54 AM

Thanks for all the awesome updates today Harry. What is this project?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
March 6

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 3:28 AM
Leftist Correctist

^That's somebody's single family home that squandered the perfect opportunity to endcap the really cool narrow Dearborn Station facing property with a striking urbane multi-level structure. Instead they built that.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 3:44 AM

I was wondering if that was the same project. Looks rather commercial. To each their own though, their property and they can do as they choose. Any curbed stories on this property or something along those lines?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 3:52 AM

North / Richmond

March 10

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 5:41 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
^That's somebody's single family home that squandered the perfect opportunity to endcap the really cool narrow Dearborn Station facing property with a striking urbane multi-level structure. Instead they built that.
I was prepared to hate it, but it kinda works in person. It steps down nicely from the Donohue Building, which (thankfully) has windows and face brick on the south side already. Plus that snazzy screening element offers a similar fine grained texture to the historic ornament.

The other lot, though, is slated for a 2-story Roots Pizza. Which sucks, and not just because the pizza will be terrible.

photocred: SouthLoopUpdate (thanks Mr D)

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
I was wondering if that was the same project. Looks rather commercial. To each their own though, their property and they can do as they choose. Any curbed stories on this property or something along those lines?
Retail will occupy the ground floor. Above will be the private residence of the architect. Heres something:

https://chicago-curbed-com.cdn.amppr...-dearborn-polk

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 1:28 PM

That Dearborn Station project is ridiculous. A SFH? What a waste.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 1:32 PM
The City

The low density is atrocious, but it still beats a vacant lot.

We just have too many lots in the South Loop. By letting some of them develop with lower density structures that still have something to offer to the pedestrian and community (retail), I think we are making solid progress

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 2:53 PM

I see no problem with the South Loop low density crap. There is sooooo much vacant land in this city that anything is better than a vacant lot as long as it's not noxious anti urban drive thru crap or atrocious midrise/highrise design that will never be demolished.

So what if there's an ugly little two story building there for a couple of decades? Sure beats nothing and a big ass blank wall. At least no one will think twice to knock that shit down when demand arises for a super skinny 20 or 30 floor tower. We have sooooo many developable parcels around town that the priority needs to be the mass elimination of vacant lots in favor of ANY reasonably urban design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post

March 10

Chicago's excellent planning department at work yet again! I wonder if we can get Lori Lightfoot to instate some semblance of a historic preservation regime?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
That Dearborn Station project is ridiculous. A SFH? What a waste.
Are we really that upset that a well-thought-out, well-designed building on a small lot with ground floor retail is replacing a small empty lot? It blends well with the neighbors.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development