HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #46381  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 2:27 AM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 12,492
Lake Shore Drive Bridge

Nov 20

Not shure what these are for - sealed on one end they would not be for pin-piles/micro-piles




More crane parts arriving


Pin Piles - the sleeve is driven down until it hits rock and grouted, the tube is backed up may feet and then more grout is forced in under pressure fracturing the lower part.










Regularly scheduled maintenance


__________________
Harry C --- Chicago rep for SkyRise Cities ---- My Flickr stream HRC_OakPark
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. B Franklin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46382  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 3:42 AM
Via Chicago Via Chicago is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Lathrop Homes new construction looks solid

bKL Architecture
Need to go back through the archives to refresh my memory on all the forum members outraged at this proposal/in favor of tearing the existing buildings down. Seeing this whole thing come together in such a well executed and thoughtful way has been my architectural highlight of 2019. Imagine if every new residential building in this city was built to this standard
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46383  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 4:16 AM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 13,920
Who was arguing in favor of “tearing the existing buildings down”? I think most people on here appreciated the design of Lathrop and believed in preservation in some form.

The original proposal (or at least, the penultimate one out of many) called for demolition only on the corner of Clybourn/Diversey, which is a major intersection that deserves a midrise building and is currently occupied by a waste of space management office across from a waste of space gas station, a waste of space convenience store, a waste of space bank branch and a waste of space strip mall. That corner should have pedestrian oriented retail. Instead it has “historic” blank walls on two corners and crappy auto-oriented development on the other four corners.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46384  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 3:19 PM
Handro Handro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Chicago
Posts: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Who was arguing in favor of “tearing the existing buildings down”? I think most people on here appreciated the design of Lathrop and believed in preservation in some form.

The original proposal (or at least, the penultimate one out of many) called for demolition only on the corner of Clybourn/Diversey, which is a major intersection that deserves a midrise building and is currently occupied by a waste of space management office across from a waste of space gas station, a waste of space convenience store, a waste of space bank branch and a waste of space strip mall. That corner should have pedestrian oriented retail. Instead it has “historic” blank walls on two corners and crappy auto-oriented development on the other four corners.
I despise that intersection.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46385  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 3:36 PM
KWillChicago's Avatar
KWillChicago KWillChicago is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 875
Harry I'm confused, so is all of that just LSD bridge maintnance or is most of that stuff for the flyover construction.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46386  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 4:17 PM
RedCorsair87 RedCorsair87 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
Seeing this whole thing come together in such a well executed and thoughtful way has been my architectural highlight of 2019. Imagine if every new residential building in this city was built to this standard
Then we would be NYC.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46387  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 4:26 PM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 12,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
Harry I'm confused, so is all of that just LSD bridge maintnance or is most of that stuff for the flyover construction.
Most of it appears to be for the bridge work. The flyover is pretty much finished except for the last 12'
__________________
Harry C --- Chicago rep for SkyRise Cities ---- My Flickr stream HRC_OakPark
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. B Franklin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46388  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 4:45 PM
marothisu marothisu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 4,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
Then we would be NYC.
LOL...no. And I say this as someone who lives in NYC and gets around. There's tons upon tons of old buildings that are completely forgettable here that aren't great architecturally. On top of that, for new construction your statement only applies to various parts of Manhattan. Outside of some of those areas - not even remotely true. I guess if you are a tourist and your idea of "NYC" encompasses about 4 neighborhoods in Manhattan, then sure.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46389  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 6:03 PM
RedCorsair87 RedCorsair87 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 375
Good to know. Most of the new low-rise NYC architecture I've seen on this forum are beautiful. I've been envious because many of the new low-rise buildings built here outside of select neighborhoods look like crap.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46390  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 8:05 PM
Investing In Chicago Investing In Chicago is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
LOL...no. And I say this as someone who lives in NYC and gets around. There's tons upon tons of old buildings that are completely forgettable here that aren't great architecturally. On top of that, for new construction your statement only applies to various parts of Manhattan. Outside of some of those areas - not even remotely true. I guess if you are a tourist and your idea of "NYC" encompasses about 4 neighborhoods in Manhattan, then sure.
Are you calling the Lathrop buildings "great architecturally"?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46391  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 8:25 PM
Kenmore Kenmore is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Uptown
Posts: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
Need to go back through the archives to refresh my memory on all the forum members outraged at this proposal/in favor of tearing the existing buildings down. Seeing this whole thing come together in such a well executed and thoughtful way has been my architectural highlight of 2019. Imagine if every new residential building in this city was built to this standard
suspect that was just the forum's anti-poor bias bleeding through

looks incredible obviously
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46392  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 9:11 PM
marothisu marothisu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 4,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
Are you calling the Lathrop buildings "great architecturally"?
LOL - how in the hell did you arrive at that conclusion from my post? I was responding to a poster's comment about everything in NYC going up being good architecture.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46393  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 9:24 PM
Investing In Chicago Investing In Chicago is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
LOL - how in the hell did you arrive at that conclusion from my post? I was responding to a poster's comment about everything in NYC going up being good architecture.
You seriously can't fathom how I came to that conclusion? Reread the posts, Stevie Wonder would be able to see it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46394  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 9:31 PM
marothisu marothisu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 4,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
Good to know. Most of the new low-rise NYC architecture I've seen on this forum are beautiful. I've been envious because many of the new low-rise buildings built here outside of select neighborhoods look like crap.
I mean it's not THAT much different here. What you are seeing are the premiere neighborhoods. Most of the stuff anybody sees outside of NYC/Manhattan are the good projects of course. There's some great stuff going up in some areas for sure but again it's select areas.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46395  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 9:32 PM
marothisu marothisu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 4,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
You seriously can't fathom how I came to that conclusion? Reread the posts, Stevie Wonder would be able to see it.
I can see how you arrived at the conclusion. However, I was merely responding to the implication that everything going up right now in NYC is a "high standard." My post was not meant to be talking about the Lathrop Homes at all. I know that some people here have a hard on for NYC and while there's a lot of good stuff going up here in select areas, there's a lot of normal stuff too that isn't even close to a high standard. That's what my response was really about.



Regarding *that* - the stuff that's posted on these forums are usually in the premiere areas. They have more money behind them so of course they have a better chance of having an interesting or good design. But all the other stuff that goes up - nobody really shows that. I mean, are people here showing every 3-8 unit building that's going up in Logan Square, Lincoln Park, Ukrainian Village, Lakeview, etc? Not at all. Perhaps there's a point to be made about the stuff in the premiere areas of Chicago needing to be a better standard on average - totally agree with that. But comparing to NYC - it's a big city. Looking at something like Lathrop Homes is no different than me comparing to something going up in Astoria (Queens). Nobody in their right mind would ever compare it to something going up in Soho just like how nobody would compare something going up in Soho to something going up in Astoria.

Here's an example of a building that was completed this year not far from where I live:
https://www.thebondlic.com/

Last edited by marothisu; Nov 27, 2019 at 9:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46396  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 9:46 PM
Investing In Chicago Investing In Chicago is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I can see how you arrived at the conclusion. However, I was merely responding to the implication that everything going up right now in NYC is a "high standard." My post was not meant to be talking about the Lathrop Homes at all. I know that some people here have a hard on for NYC and while there's a lot of good stuff going up here in select areas, there's a lot of normal stuff too that isn't even close to a high standard. That's what my response was really about.



Regarding *that* - the stuff that's posted on these forums are usually in the premiere areas. They have more money behind them so of course they have a better chance of having an interesting or good design. But all the other stuff that goes up - nobody really shows that. I mean, are people here showing every 3-8 unit building that's going up in Logan Square, Lincoln Park, Ukrainian Village, Lakeview, etc? Not at all. Perhaps there's a point to be made about the stuff in the premiere areas of Chicago needing to be a better standard on average - totally agree with that. But comparing to NYC - it's a big city. Looking at something like Lathrop Homes is no different than me comparing to something going up in Astoria (Queens). Nobody in their right mind would ever compare it to something going up in Soho just like how nobody would compare something going up in Soho to something going up in Astoria.
Agree with your second point - there is Amazing, Good, Bad development in all cities, NYC is an order of magnitude larger than Chicago, so will likely have more Amazing, Good, and Bad...Which is the reality, IMO.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46397  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 9:51 PM
marothisu marothisu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 4,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
Agree with your second point - there is Amazing, Good, Bad development in all cities, NYC is an order of magnitude larger than Chicago, so will likely have more Amazing, Good, and Bad...Which is the reality, IMO.
Every big city has every point of quality of architecture going up. There's a lot of good stuff going up in NYC, but the vast majority is only in a handful of neighborhoods in Manhattan which is what you see on forums and blogs only. Most people wouldn't tout a project like this (Long Island City) or this (Williamsburg) for an example of architectural excellence so your average person not in NYC paying close attention to this stuff probably will never see these types of projects.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46398  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 10:06 PM
marothisu marothisu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 4,992
Also the Lathrop Buildings look OK. Consider these aren't new buildings, but renovation of public housing. All things considered, it looks fine but that's because of the quality of the windows. If this was a brand new building, then whatever but it's a renovation of public housing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46399  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 12:58 AM
LouisVanDerWright LouisVanDerWright is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
suspect that was just the forum's anti-poor bias bleeding through

looks incredible obviously
So suburban.

The comments on here about Lathrop were actually that people were disappointed that the plan was revised from more demolition with more new construction and density (i.e. more housing for the poor, not less). Via suggested people were mad that it wasn't all demolished when it was really that people were bummed it was watered down to less density.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46400  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 4:27 PM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 12,492
__________________
Harry C --- Chicago rep for SkyRise Cities ---- My Flickr stream HRC_OakPark
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. B Franklin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:46 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.