HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1041  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 2:15 AM
Empire's Avatar
Empire Empire is offline
Salty Town
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Halifax
Posts: 1,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
I think we can cut him some slack. Its been a long time since that happened and perhaps he has changed a lot and is more educated on the subject now.
A leopard never changes it's spots.
__________________
Salty Town
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1042  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 4:42 AM
fenwick16 fenwick16 is offline
Honored Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto area (ex-Nova Scotian)
Posts: 5,558
I would like to give Mayor Kelly the benefit of the doubt on this one. I don't see why he would go on the record by supporting the convention centre ( http://www.halifaxnewsnet.ca/index.c...=332890&sc=611 ) when he is sure to annoy the Save our View and Heritage Trust groups (with proponents of these groups in his own council).

On the plus side, Mayor Kelly was able to push the Harbour Solutions project through. If Mayor Kelly comes up with a stadium project in the near future then I will start to think that Halifax has a great Mayor.

I have to wonder how any politician can survive in the Halifax area when they have to deal with the Heritage Trust and Save our View groups and also promote the city to developers. It sounds like a real juggling act. Maybe I am being unduly optimistic, but I have to place my hopes on some politician in the Halifax area.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1043  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 2:45 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 22,256
There was some discussion in Allnovascotia today about the redevelopment of the NFB and Venus Pizza buildings along Barrington. Apparently there's a $12M project being considered with 52 apartments, but the developer is looking for $800,000 in incentives from the HRM instead of the $680,000 they are offering.

Kind of weird because the difference in incentives is only equivalent to 1% of the project's budget. I doubt that cost estimates are that accurate. Another issue in the article is that Venus Pizza isn't next to the NFB building as they state.

Either way, this is another development that I really hope moves forward. I dislike the idea of the city making special deals with individual developers but this is a huge scar downtown right now and it is totally worth a few hundred thousand dollars to fix. Barrington desperately needs new investment right now.
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1044  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 3:35 AM
fenwick16 fenwick16 is offline
Honored Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto area (ex-Nova Scotian)
Posts: 5,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
There was some discussion in Allnovascotia today about the redevelopment of the NFB and Venus Pizza buildings along Barrington. Apparently there's a $12M project being considered with 52 apartments, but the developer is looking for $800,000 in incentives from the HRM instead of the $680,000 they are offering.

Kind of weird because the difference in incentives is only equivalent to 1% of the project's budget. I doubt that cost estimates are that accurate. Another issue in the article is that Venus Pizza isn't next to the NFB building as they state.

Either way, this is another development that I really hope moves forward. I dislike the idea of the city making special deals with individual developers but this is a huge scar downtown right now and it is totally worth a few hundred thousand dollars to fix. Barrington desperately needs new investment right now.
I just read the article, the developer is stating that since the NFB buildinng has been exposed to the elements for 20 years that it will require more expense to preserve the facade. At $12 million, this is a significant project which will create more residential units downtown. I hope that it will go ahead.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1045  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 12:09 PM
Jstaleness's Avatar
Jstaleness Jstaleness is offline
Jelly Bean Sandwich
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dartmouth
Posts: 1,542
News 95.7

Mayor Kelly is on Maritime Morning as we speak talking about new trade centre.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1046  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 12:55 PM
fenwick16 fenwick16 is offline
Honored Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto area (ex-Nova Scotian)
Posts: 5,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Mayor Kelly is on Maritime Morning as we speak talking about new trade centre.
Could you listen to (watch?) this and provide updates later? I am very interested in this but I don't have access to it up here in Ontario.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1047  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 1:05 PM
DigitalNinja DigitalNinja is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 847
You can listen to it online http://www.news957.com/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1048  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 1:20 PM
Jstaleness's Avatar
Jstaleness Jstaleness is offline
Jelly Bean Sandwich
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dartmouth
Posts: 1,542
His portion has wrapped up for the most part. He seems to really keen on pushing this through! He knows that this will be a huge money maker for the city and province. He made references to the view planes and how the new trade will not impede them. He was excited that up to 10,000 people could be in the complex at its busiest points.
He also spoke about the other developments downtown that are currently parking lots. He wants the developers to begin work asap etc. He is fine for grassing them over for now of course but doesn't want to be a long term fix.
The CFL was brought up by one of callers and here is a basic summary of what Kelly explained. He is for a Stadium. He understands this city needs one. The issue seems to be is can the city make profit off of it. The numbers are being crunched I guess. He said 4 of the eight current CFL teams make money, 2 losing and 2 breaking even. Where would Halifax fit in is another question. I think he agrees that the commons isn't the place for concerts. If a group (I believe the city is working with 2 now) can prove that a Stadium in Halifax used for Football, Soccer and Concerts etc. would make money then its just a matter of where to build.

I enjoyed it this morning. I hope his attitude toward downtown development is for real and it wasn't all talk. If he's for real than he has the ability to get this city to where it could be.

Finally, If anyone else listened and can remember more key points than I have recalled please feel free to add as I'm sure there are a few that I missed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1049  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 2:16 PM
planarchy's Avatar
planarchy planarchy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I would like to give Mayor Kelly the benefit of the doubt on this one. I don't see why he would go on the record by supporting the convention centre ( http://www.halifaxnewsnet.ca/index.c...=332890&sc=611 ) when he is sure to annoy the Save our View and Heritage Trust groups (with proponents of these groups in his own council).

On the plus side, Mayor Kelly was able to push the Harbour Solutions project through. If Mayor Kelly comes up with a stadium project in the near future then I will start to think that Halifax has a great Mayor.
Quote:
I hope his attitude toward downtown development is for real and it wasn't all talk. If he's for real than he has the ability to get this city to where it could be.
I have to disagree with all of this - Peter Kelly has been in since 2000. After 10 years, maybe he is starting to get it, but so what? It has been 10 years! If it takes this long to get control and provide some leadership, why would anyone think that he is actually capable of forming a progressive vision for the future of the HRM? I would argue that he is actually only now comfortable with ideas that are already a decade old! Is this really a good way to manage a city?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1050  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 2:20 PM
planarchy's Avatar
planarchy planarchy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 462
I also have to wonder if he is thinking this is his last chance to leave some mark on the city after 2 terms of nothingness. He's halfway through his third term, and perhaps has decided he will not try for a fourth. Why else would be suddenly develop opinions when he hasn't has any on anything in 10 years.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1051  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 2:46 PM
Jstaleness's Avatar
Jstaleness Jstaleness is offline
Jelly Bean Sandwich
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dartmouth
Posts: 1,542
I understand that the last 10 years have been very dim as far as new developments in the downtown. I can't use the term "stirring the pot" because it's a bit too strong but he's at least speaking publicly about how he wants the new Trade Centre and he wants change in Halifax. People are really talking about this out there!
There are a lot of old fashion people who still believe that if the Mayor likes it than it must be good enough. Maybe these people won't be so against development if they see their leader heading in that direction. Again, I hope its for real and he truly uses his powers to convince the other counselors that this is the right move. A new building of any size in any of those vacant lots will generate more revenue than 15-20 cars parking there all day and I think he's finally seeing that.
He is the one that's either going to prove my statements true or false.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1052  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 3:38 PM
sdm sdm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,895
Peter Kelly is making it sound like the developers that have approved projects are just sitting there wasting time.

Problem is they aren't, its the market conditions and the restrictions place on projects with regards to lending that is hurting progress.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1053  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 9:11 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 22,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
Problem is they aren't, its the market conditions and the restrictions place on projects with regards to lending that is hurting progress.
It's sad, because lending conditions were a great a few years ago, back when everything was in limbo waiting for URB decisions and so on. It was easy to see this coming a mile away.
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1054  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 9:27 PM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
His portion has wrapped up for the most part. He seems to really keen on pushing this through! He knows that this will be a huge money maker for the city and province.
I didn't hear it, but just heard a news report that he was touting that a 2500 seat performing arts center be included in the development. I don't think that has been on the table before, and as I recall, buried somewhere in this thread is a news story from a year or two ago saying that the previous govt told him that was not going to happen, and to get with their program. He then signed on.

He better not end up scuttling this project because of his desire to have a new concert hall included. Kelly needs to learn how to keep his mouth shut sometimes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1055  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 10:19 PM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 24,712
stubled across this bunch of construction pics that might be interesting to u guys from one of the urbn explorers in halifax http://cpharmon.blogspot.com/2010/03...ax-photos.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1056  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 10:44 PM
sdm sdm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I didn't hear it, but just heard a news report that he was touting that a 2500 seat performing arts center be included in the development. I don't think that has been on the table before, and as I recall, buried somewhere in this thread is a news story from a year or two ago saying that the previous govt told him that was not going to happen, and to get with their program. He then signed on.

He better not end up scuttling this project because of his desire to have a new concert hall included. Kelly needs to learn how to keep his mouth shut sometimes.
Bingo, Kellys way out of it i bet.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1057  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 10:45 PM
sdm sdm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It's sad, because lending conditions were a great a few years ago, back when everything was in limbo waiting for URB decisions and so on. It was easy to see this coming a mile away.
Yes, and it appears what everyone saw as happening did.

Kelly was just so wrong in his approach today in claiming developers are not living up to their end of the bargin.

Funny, i remember Kelly voting no on a lot of projects.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1058  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 10:52 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 22,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I didn't hear it, but just heard a news report that he was touting that a 2500 seat performing arts center be included in the development. I don't think that has been on the table before, and as I recall, buried somewhere in this thread is a news story from a year or two ago saying that the previous govt told him that was not going to happen, and to get with their program. He then signed on.
Even when they're successful in bundling things they usually get a useless watered-down version of whatever they wanted. Halifax has all kinds of middling concert halls and theatres. There's no point in building another one unless it is a high quality venue and that would require its own multi-year planning and funding process.

One also has to wonder where they'd put the thing in this development. The site is not that large and the development is already at the upper end of what it could support.

Love the idea of a new performing arts centre for Halifax but to bring it up at this stage for the convention centre seems asinine.
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1059  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 10:55 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 22,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
Funny, i remember Kelly voting no on a lot of projects.
Anybody in the media holding him accountable for past actions?

My guess would be no.
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1060  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 1:12 AM
sdm sdm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Anybody in the media holding him accountable for past actions?

My guess would be no.
No that would be too easy. In recent memory he voted nay on Halkirk, UG. He calimed he would have voted nay on Waterside if he had of been present to vote, and i believe Hollis and Morris (not sure). Those are just the ones that come first into my head.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:39 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.