HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 4:00 AM

Ottawa is a bit varied in that in the West end you can go from farmland to Shield depending where..Downtown is varied but rocky, and when you get to the South End and East, it's all blue clay...Of course the Quebec side has ski hills, so you have that mix too.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
Until post #72, one place was conspicuously absent:

0-1200' grade change between the beach and the houses in the background 2km away
What city is this?

EDIT: Never mind, clearly I can't read. Also, didn't recognize that shot of Vancity.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 4:20 AM
Change is good

^north van

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 4:21 AM

Deleted

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 4:24 AM

^^
Let's contain the childish bickering to the population thread, eh?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 4:31 AM

Ya your right..Deleted..Should just use that ignore feature.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpa View Post
clearly you have never took a breath of wonderful prairie air compared to humid as hell gta took me a few days to get used to it
Yes I have taken a breath of prairie air before. And I hated it. The dryness drove me insane. I need humidity to be comfortable.

It's all personal preference. Some people like humidity, some people like dryness. Neither is objectively better.

In terms of air quality in southern Ontario, it's improved dramatically in the past 10-15 years thanks to cleaner cars, deindustrialization, and elimination of coal power plants. I can't see air pollution being an issue to anyone unless they are either really sensitive or have a medical condition that affects their breathing.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 1:59 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by middeljohn View Post
^^
Let's contain the childish bickering to the population thread, eh?
No kidding!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 3:36 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Yes I have taken a breath of prairie air before. And I hated it. The dryness drove me insane. I need humidity to be comfortable.

It's all personal preference. Some people like humidity, some people like dryness. Neither is objectively better.

In terms of air quality in southern Ontario, it's improved dramatically in the past 10-15 years thanks to cleaner cars, deindustrialization, and elimination of coal power plants. I can't see air pollution being an issue to anyone unless they are either really sensitive or have a medical condition that affects their breathing.
In my opinion the dryness of southern Alberta was about on par for annoying as the humidity of southern Ontario. One leaves you gross and sticky, the other dried out. A medium amount of humidity is good.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 4:05 PM

Vancouver summer is in that medium amount of humidity. Usually between 30% and 70% throughout the day.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 4:19 PM
Mooderator

Quebec City has the most awesome topography. That crazy cliff is bonkers.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 6:30 PM

How about Sudbury?..Represenative of a very extreme and "in your face" example of the type of topography running through it's city.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 12:26 AM
So very tired...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Kamloops and many BC interior towns have very cool topography. Many dry desert like gullies and cliffs are everywhere.

Kamloops is also the confluence of two major rivers at the city's heart. At river level the elevation is 340 meters. Suburban developments soar up into the surrounding hills as high as 885 meters in the southwest corner of the city.

That is an elevation difference of 545 meters.
Yep, Kamloops is wicked hilly. I was born there. Sucked riding my bike to school, but the ride home was fun.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 1:19 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Quebec City has the most awesome topography. That crazy cliff is bonkers.
It's about the same size as Hamilton's cliff. Both have lots of water around too.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
king of geographic features is probably halifax.
It's not a fun city to bike in, I can tell you! Whenever I go to almost any other city in Canada, it takes a while to get used to how flat they are, comparatively. Although other cities might have a larger range of topography, the main thing you notice here, especially downtown, is how steep the hills are, from 10ft to 140ft in the space of a few blocks. It's even worse in downtown Dartmouth, across the harbour.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 2:10 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
Yep, Kamloops is wicked hilly. I was born there. Sucked riding my bike to school, but the ride home was fun.
Everything about Kamloops' topography and geography is amazing.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 8:00 PM
Majestic

Crosspost from the City Discussion forum

The City of Calgary covers a very large area, as a unicity, so there are a number of distinctive topographic features within city limits.

The first thing to note about Calgary is that the city is right at the boundary of the foothills and the prairie. The line runs right through the city, and the east side of the city is much, much flatter than the west side.

Downtown Calgary itself is located on a floodplain at the meeting of the Bow and Elbow rivers. Although not as steep or as high as the walls of the river valley which downtown Edmonton overlooks, Calgary's city centre is nonetheless surrounded by cliffs and bluffs. There are elevated spots where you can get a good look at the Calgary skyline from virtually any angle.

focus(ed) by DJHuber, on Flickrv

The most prominent feature in the city is undoubtedly Nose Hill, in the city's north. A city park which covers over 11.29 square kilometres (4.36 square miles), the hill rises several hundred feet over the 12 communities that ring it. Nose Hill has been left largely untouched, and access road and parking lots, and showcases natural grassland and coulees.

Untitled by Y^2, on Flickr

Other major (named) hills in the city include Signal Hill and Broadcast Hill. The city's far northwest is especially hilly. and you cannot see the downtown from the outskirts like you can in the far southeast.

In Calgary's deep south, you can find the opposite type of feature as Nose Hill -- Fish Creek Provincial Park. The valley, much more parkland than grassland, widens and narrows as it winds around suburban communities. Fish Creek covers about 13.56 square kilometres (5.23 square miles)

Late Summer in Fish Creek by djking, on Flickr

Finally, if you get bored of topography in the city, the mountains are about 45min-1hr to the west and the badlands are 1-1.5 hours to the east.

Lower Kananaskis Lake by RemotelyBoris, on Flickr

Dino Park Pano 1 by RemotelyBoris, on Flickr

Flickr

Last edited by Boris2k7; Aug 15, 2014 at 11:41 PM.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 12:11 AM

Quote:
In any case, I just looked at Windsor and incredibly the biggest difference I could find was only 55 ft!
Our three giant toboggan hills definitely rise higher than that (but I don't know if they count, lol).

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 3:30 PM

Just outside Lloydminster (Saskatchewan side, although the Alberta side looks the same at this point):

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada