HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe

Old Posted Nov 4, 2008, 10:07 PM

Moving to Cambridge. Help!

The short version:

My girlfriend got herself a fancy job at the Univeristy of Cambridge this year and the two of us are relocating early in the new year. I am wondering if any of you out there can possibly offer any advice in regards to relocating to England. I grew up in Surrey in the 80's, but have lived since then in Western Canada. I am not English by birth, but am a Canadian/American. I am already aware of the work permit issues and such, but am more interested in good areas in Cambridge to live, what to look out for, the state of the Economy, etc. The prospect has already left me with countless sleepless nights.

I understand that the U.K. doesn't acknowledge North American credit history so buying is not an option at this stage. We are already in contact with a few Estate Agents in regards to renting a furnished flat.

If anyone has some good advice, do not hestiate to drop me a line, or leave me a post.

Cheers!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2008, 9:40 PM
YIMBY co-founder

Hi
I can't help ya directly, but try in the English section of SkyscraperCity.com:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 12:25 PM
FutureTimeline.net

If you're looking to rent a flat then http://cambridge.gumtree.com is good.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 5:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefyvie View Post
The short version:

My girlfriend got herself a fancy job at the Univeristy of Cambridge this year and the two of us are relocating early in the new year. I am wondering if any of you out there can possibly offer any advice in regards to relocating to England. I grew up in Surrey in the 80's, but have lived since then in Western Canada. I am not English by birth, but am a Canadian/American. I am already aware of the work permit issues and such, but am more interested in good areas in Cambridge to live, what to look out for, the state of the Economy, etc. The prospect has already left me with countless sleepless nights.

I understand that the U.K. doesn't acknowledge North American credit history so buying is not an option at this stage. We are already in contact with a few Estate Agents in regards to renting a furnished flat.

If anyone has some good advice, do not hestiate to drop me a line, or leave me a post.

Cheers!
I lived in a town outside of Huntingdon called Godmanchester. It was a great town (Roman) and close enough to walk into Huntingdon. It was close to St. Ives and only 13 miles from Cambridge. It is a small quaint town but has a couple of great pubs and restaurants (if you like Indian food). Some of the old houses in the town dated back to the 1400s and there is a beautiful park with a canal going through with the houseboats. I loved it there. And, Peterborough is close as well. I believe that there is an American Air Base (RAF) still active there. It is called Alconbury AB. You could possibly obtain employment there without a British work permit. Good luck.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 10:02 PM
FutureTimeline.net

^ I've been to Godmanchester a few times. It's lovely.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe