HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 3:06 PM

Does anybody know if the old practice field will remain after the new stadium opens, and they tear down the old one? If it doesn't remain, where will they hold the pre- game party?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robag View Post
Does anybody know if the old practice field will remain after the new stadium opens, and they tear down the old one? If it doesn't remain, where will they hold the pre- game party?
The park to the west of the new stadium is to be refurbished and will likely hold any pregame festivities.

The old stadium site and the area around it is to be completely redeveloped.

http://www.reginarevitalization.ca/t...neighbourhood/

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
IGF is great but I am pretty sure New Mosaic's roof will be much better at redirecting the wind is especially the NW winds. The stadium is completely enclosed on the NW end. IGF has both end zones open. I think the bowl is a bit deeper at Mosaic as well.
Will the opening on the NW side of the stadium cause any type of wind tunnel effect? I'd assume it's would be negligable if anything at all but it doesn't appear like a totally enclosed bowl on the north west side?

Quote:

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Will the opening on the NW side of the stadium cause any type of wind tunnel effect? I'd assume it's would be negligable if anything at all but it doesn't appear like a totally enclosed bowl on the north west side?
The picture you posted is taken from the NW. The small opening is in the NE corner and then the large opening is the South endzone. If I remember correctly the prevailing wind is from the NW so it will completely block that. How the wind reacts when it's coming from the south could be interesting though.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 5:30 PM

I call that opening in the NE corner the Crack. Like "meet you at the Crack at half-time." You can see that it is narrow and there is a flare in the building that will protect it from NW or even N winds:

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty c View Post
The picture you posted is taken from the NW. The small opening is in the NE corner and then the large opening is the South endzone. If I remember correctly the prevailing wind is from the NW so it will completely block that. How the wind reacts when it's coming from the south could be interesting though.
If this is the case, shouldn't be much of an issue..your right though the south end could be interesting but the majority of the prevailing winds are covered...

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 5:34 PM

Quote:
I call that opening in the NE corner the Crack. Like "meet you at the Crack at half-time." You can see that it is narrow and there is a flare in the building that will protect it from NW or even N winds:
Much better rendering and view of the steps they're taking with the "crack" lol...shouldn't be much of an issue at all..

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 5:37 PM

Also according to Environment Canada in the last 5 years the wind blew from the NE only 2.3% of the time.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 5:46 PM

Fine looking stadium. What is the purpose of the crack?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
fine looking stadium. What is the purpose of the crack?
lol....good question

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Fine looking stadium. What is the purpose of the crack?
If the wind blows from the south it needs a place to exit, otherwise the roof would act as a giant wind sail.

The stadium would end up looking similar to this guy without it:

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 7:12 PM

Now I'm assuming that the times the wind will blow directly from the south are few and far between, but when it does I would say that "crack" would be one very windy and difficult place to stand.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 7:25 PM

The roof should have some type of louvers that open and close depending on the wind. Otherwise that will be one windy spot! During the summer, winds come from the south quite frequently, no? As in most of the time its some form of south wind. I guess the air is warm, so it's not that big of a deal.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
If the wind blows from the south it needs a place to exit, otherwise the roof would act as a giant wind sail.

Hmm I never thought of that. Is this just a guess, or did you read this somewhere?

We do have a ton of SE winds, but it seems like the strong, cold fall winds always come from the NW.

It is interesting that they cut the wind screen in the SE corner saying the computer models showed it made not difference. You can see it it in the top middle of this render.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 7:40 PM
arf

Looking at Environment Canada for the direction of strongest gusts on game days this season:

June 27 - NW
July 5 - NW
Jul 17 - S
Jul 26 - NW
Aug 22 - N
Sep 6 - WSW
Sep 19 - WSW

Seems pretty reasonable for the stadium orientation for this season.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 7:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The roof should have some type of louvers that open and close depending on the wind. Otherwise that will be one windy spot! During the summer, winds come from the south quite frequently, no? As in most of the time its some form of south wind. I guess the air is warm, so it's not that big of a deal.
In all honest, in all my years of going to football games at Taylor Field I can only remember a strong wind coming from the south once.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 7:45 PM

Ya. There are a large number of other days where the wind is out of the south. 2/3 of August was out of the south. But like Stormer said, its' those cold winds in the fall/late fall that are the nastiest!

Just to clarify, not putting the stadium down at all. It looks fantastic and I'm sure it will be just as nice when attending games! Just thinking about it is all.

One thing to remember, the stadium is there all the time. It needs to withstand every and all types of wind. So there surely is some type of mechanism to deal with strong winds from the south. Not just from the NW.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 7:51 PM

Quote:

Actually this seems like the most plausible reason presented, without it you might end up with your spiffy new roof somewhere west of Regina..+ I don't know what it is but everyone I know just loves the Minions, had to repost the photo...

It shall forever be known as the "#Crack" @ Mosaic..- any foundation issues that may arise

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 7:54 PM

Folks, as of December 31st, 2001, the prevailing winds at Regina were out of the SE 50.5% of the time.

I reckon that the field is set up insothat there is maximum shelter from the hellishly cold NW winds though.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 8:42 PM

Quote:

Especially as the roof will be made of a fabric... I suspect another reason for that channel is to prevent wind buffeting - would be very uncomfortable if there was relatively rapid air pressure changes within the stadium with any slight shift in the wind (just like driving on the highway with one window, or sunroof, open - bothers the ears until you crack another window just a bit).

I wouldn't be surprised if the "flare" (as Stormer put it) helps prevent swirling/vortex conditions inside. And since this shape of the structure is essentially circular I don't think the prevailing direction of wind will have as much of an effect on the field or stands as the overall amount of wind - the same way a sailboat tacks with its main sail (the Stadium has no jib). Windspeed along the perimeter of the building will be the same no matter which direction it blows from, any significant air movement inside the stadium will come from whatever blows over the lip of the roof.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan