HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Old Posted Jan 28, 2017, 3:59 PM

Redefinition of High Rise in Toronto

It would be nice if one of the admins would explain why almost 100 building in Toronto that were not previously considered highrise are so now.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2017, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTheBear View Post
It would be nice if one of the admins would explain why almost 100 building in Toronto that were not previously considered highrise are so now.
It would also be nice to know why the «years built« suddenly changed on newly built buildings. It happens every year. A bunch of 2015 built buildings suddenly changed to 2016. I read the reason was because when the building officially registered in the housing bureau or whatever it's called, it often registered the year after. However, it doesn't work that way for other cities, and the data becomes obsolete towards other cities, which their years hasn't been changed.

A footnote of changes would be appreciated too.

Also, I wonder why structures like the Trump Tower, which has 63 real floors, they keep pushing the 57 floors as if the mechanical floors didn't exist. Who cares if it has no office, no residence or no nothing, the floor STILL exist in the building.

They make a lot of changes to the Toronto list without having footnotes of anything anywhere, thus keeping it hard to be up-to-date with it without having to look at all the tiny details.

My rant of the day has been done

Old Posted Jan 29, 2017, 10:43 PM
I am the law!

None of the towers have their mechanical penthouses counted. Why would Trump be an exception to that rule? I'm not going into the complexities of mechanical penthouses and how broad a definition it is call platforms in a tall mechanical penthouse floors. I'll keep it simple and say only habitable floors have always been counted. Of course, nothing is black and white with such things as full mechanical floors with exposure to outside elements do exist midpoint in towers but, at least, they do have a solid floor and a solid ceiling.

I make hundreds of updates. I don't have the time to point them out.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2017, 10:49 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTheBear View Post

A highrise is defined as a building with either 12 floors or is at least 35 metres in height.

This is a working list. New height information has been added. Many buildings have been found taller than their previous estimates.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2017, 10:50 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

I also make tons of updates, to the diagrams and sometimes even the info about them, mostly estimates. That seems unlikely to change in the future, especially with Toronto being a very hot construction market still...

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 11:41 PM

I think, in Toronto at least, that any building that is less than 20 stories should be considered a bungalow.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto