HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 3:56 PM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2016 in Krakow

Krakow isn't all about the beautiful old town. Let's start with the suburbs.

Nowa Huta was conceived by the Soviets as a model city. Approved in 1947, it eventually became a model city for 100,000 residents living alongside tree-lined avenues, many parks, and functional architecture.

Trams take about 20-30 minutes to get here from the old town.

Plac Centralny was built in 1949 as the area's central square. Impressed by the symmetry and uniformity surrounding it, it actually was supposed to be more imposing had some of the planned buildings were actually built.

I suppose after the Soviets left, they got Americanized instead.

Life in the district is showcased in a small museum just a few blocks from the central square. The ticket will also get you into the PRL Museum nearby.

Within this time warp is a traditional restaurant still stuck in its retro furnishings. I came early in the morning so it was empty, but imagine on an evening, or on a weekend, when the singers and dancers are out for a good time.

The full set : http://www.globalphotos.org/krakow.htm

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 2:50 AM

Krakow is deep in European continent. Good to see they at least have Polish-English in public transport, which makes me want to pay a visit, otherwise, I never consider going there.

Any other foreign-tourist-friendly appearances?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 11:45 AM
RIP Knut!

Did you feel unsafe in Krakow?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 8:26 PM

Love it as usual. Transit based pictures of cities are always the best.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 5:01 PM
Hong Kong

Krakow was very touristy and I had no issues getting English brochures, reading bilingual signs, and getting around. Felt perfectly safe even around the brand new train station and while riding transit. The Jewish quarter was a lot more run-down though but I only visited during the day.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2016, 3:35 AM
Hong Kong

I went to the City Engineering Museum for one reason - the tram shed. It seems not many visitors know about this collection of historic trams. I had the shed almost all to myself.

The museum is a short walk from the river, where I spotted a stunning church. St. Joseph's in Podgórze is a fairly recent construction. Completed in 1909, it is elaborately decorated although the interior was sealed off from visitors when I arrived.

The new train station is spectacularly clean and sleek without the beggars and vagrants that plague other large stations elsewhere on the continent. The original one is preserved in a large square next to it, but won't otherwise draw your attention these days.

The Wieliczka Salt Mine is quite an amazing architectural feat, having been in use for hundreds of years and once funded a significant portion of Poland's wealth.

Salt is antiseptic, so you can theoretically lick the walls. I chose not to though.

Have you stepped on tiles made of salt?

The full set : http://www.globalphotos.org/krakow.htm

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 4:44 PM
Hong Kong

Let's venture into the old town!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 1:10 PM
Hong Kong

Krakow's new main railway station is sleek and clean. There are lots of shops and cafes on the concourse floor, which is connected to a big shopping mall for even more options. Wish their counterparts in Western Europe would be as good. These are comparable to the new Spanish train stations.

Monumental buildings line plac Jana Matejki, which is just outside the Old Town.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 2:03 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

I always knew that Krakow had trams like crazy. Thanks for showing me something else.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 7:21 PM

Wieliczka salt mine is quite amazing, Didn't lick the salt but took some samples back home and tried it at a later date..

Krakow is a must see for anyone visiting the country..going back soon..

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 12:59 PM
Hong Kong

Last edited by hkskyline; Nov 8, 2016 at 4:10 PM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2016, 4:56 PM
Hong Kong

Kazimierz was the Jewish quarter for over 500 years. Destroyed in World War II and descending into decay during the Communist era, the district is being rediscovered and revived although it still looks much grittier than the beautiful historic town next door.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 11:58 PM
Illustrator, editor

Nice pics of some more rare sides of Krakow! When I visited Krakow about 10 years ago, me and my friends once took the tram towards the outskirts, accidentally, and found that it looked like a completely different city then the cozy old town; most buildings were grey and very rundown.

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos