HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 9:39 PM

Mapleview Mall renovation

Thought I'd start a thread on the Mapleview mall renovation. I had heard talk of it some time ago but was not aware that it was actually moving ahead. Ellis-Don won the construction contract.

http://www.ellisdon.com/ed/projects/view/?id=3088827

I have heard rumblings that H&M is in (I can see that), and The Bay is out (this would be a huge surprise). Anyone else hear anything along this line?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 9:46 PM
It's Hammer Time

I wish Banana Republic was in Hamilton, it's the only reason I go to Mapleview, usually pop over to Longo after that.

Mapleview is trying to be a fashion oriented mall.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 10:00 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
I wish Banana Republic was in Hamilton, it's the only reason I go to Mapleview, usually pop over to Longo after that.

Mapleview is trying to be a fashion oriented mall.
no doubt. Nice Hortons.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 10:39 PM
On Guard For Thee

Cambridge annoucned the go-ahead on this project back in the spring and began preliminary work at that time. I haven't heard anything specific, aside from Cambridge's presser which talks about adding more larger format stores, reworking the food court and adding more sit-down restaurants. They are definitely repositioning the mall to be more fashion-oriented and upscale. My guess is they will make a play for a bunch of the chains that just came to Canada (Aeropostale, Abercrombie, Hollister, Pottery Barn) that have yet to venture far out of the GTA. Some or all of those would be huge coups, and would add to the apparent success the addition of Banana Republic has been. H&M could well be there (full-line maybe?), lululemon, etc.

I'd be VERY surprised to see The Bay leave--the demographics in the area are great, the store is reasonably new and those anchors generally have sweetheart lease deals. The only possible explanation may be the announcement that the new ownership wants to bring the Lord & Taylor brand to Canada--Burlington would conceivably be the 'perfect' market for them--and there is another Bay only a stone's throw away--in the old Sears at Burlington Mall.

Not that it's a major consideration--but perhaps the renovation tied in with the expansion will allow for the interior of the mall to be reworked somewhat--I've never really liked it's cheap looking "warehouse" type architecture--certainly isn't befitting the market they are trying to pursue...see the very effective interior design work at Lime Ridge for reference.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 12:39 AM
Closed account

these malls are all so lame, it's unbelievable.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 1:03 AM

I'm hoping for a Bath and Body Works but I'd prefer one at Limeridge.
Maybe a Sephora.

I was there last Friday and a whole stretch of stores on the upper level have relocated within the mall due to the construction.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 2:03 AM
On Guard For Thee

hammergirl, I would expect B&BW will become as ubiquitous in Canada as it has in the U.S. Limited Brands is a huge company, with lots of leasing clout and a whole bunch of retail brands it wants to roll out in Canada.

I'm not sure I'd be anxious to brand all malls as "lame"--I'm not much of a shopper myself--but I know the well-managed, up-to-date malls are strong employment zones and tax generators. So, while they may not be to one's individual taste--their success is an indicator of economic vitality--and this expansion project is creating thousands of labor hours in the construction trades.

I find the picking-and-choosing a bit strange--we mourn the loss of the Centre and MPM because of their "community" orientation and wonder where the seniors will gather after they close--yet the malls that are healthy, and thriving, and expanding are branded as lame. Should we bulldoze Mapleview and replace it with a few big box stores?

On an unrelated note--since someone mentioned Longo's--anyone see growth opportunities in the Hamilton area? The Barn name will finally bow (not that it's been anywhere near it's old farm market roots in a long time)--and these 'fresh' regional chains such as Remark Farms, Longo's and Farm Boy seem to be thriving in other cities. I know the presence of the Farmer's Market in Hamilton is huge--just seems to me someone could slip into the niche that the Barn left behind years ago.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 2:17 AM
It's Hammer Time

At McMaster we get a lot of GTAers and they always ask me if there's a Longo's in Hamilton.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs