HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 6:52 PM
ARTchitecture

Pretty cool photo of Saint John, New Brunswick from last month or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
Had to share this great picture of Saint John I found on Instagram! Makes me think of Brooklyn! The transfer of the image is not the best, but it's still a great shot.

EDIT: and a cool ominous looking one!

From Blue Rock, With Love by darkharbour, on Flickr

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Last edited by Chadillaccc; Jul 23, 2013 at 7:10 PM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Oh okay. Yeah, not much there.

Btw guys, great skylines of Regina and Kitchener!
Here is a picture I took of Guelph when I lived there. You are right, nothing much for a Skyline, which is due to laws that prevent anything from being built higher than Our Lady Immaculate downtown. Though, council is starting to allow proposals. When I left an apartment was beginning construction downtown. The downtown has some beautiful density, and an amazing set of historic buildings though.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 10:41 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

That's one good thing height restrictions are SOMETIMES good for: improving downtown density. Imagine how much more valuable every parking lot in Canada's major cities would be and how much more likely to be developed at maximum allowed height if you cut every skyscraper off at 10 floors and had to find the extra space.

But it certainly doesn't prevent sprawl. I assume it might even contribute to it.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 11:02 PM

St John looks great in those shots! (And totally puts my -- bigger -- hometown to shame.)

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
That's one good thing height restrictions are SOMETIMES good for: improving downtown density. Imagine how much more valuable every parking lot in Canada's major cities would be and how much more likely to be developed at maximum allowed height if you cut every skyscraper off at 10 floors and had to find the extra space.

But it certainly doesn't prevent sprawl. I assume it might even contribute to it.
Why would that improve downtown density? Two 10-floor buildings and one 20-floor building and a parking lot, that's the exact same density. And you have a freebie parking lot in the second case...

Height restrictions are also going to make the difference between some projects being a go or not (too few stories and the business case doesn't fly)... so that means more downtown vacant lots.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
Here is a picture I took of Guelph when I lived there. You are right, nothing much for a Skyline, which is due to laws that prevent anything from being built higher than Our Lady Immaculate downtown. Though, council is starting to allow proposals. When I left an apartment was beginning construction downtown. The downtown has some beautiful density, and an amazing set of historic buildings though.

I think that the new Guelph Civic Museum incorporates an 1850s convent that's up on the hill with the church. I'm hoping to nip over for a visit next week and reacquaint myself with downtown Guelph. Lots of beautiful 19th century stone buildings, as I recall.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Re Kitchener (before it fades back into its usual obscurity),this is the one and only spot Downtown that I know of that gives an illusion of urban density. I love the refurbished ramp on the parking garage! The hydro wires are temporary pending utilities work for the LRT project.

I certainly think there are more spots than just that one but here are a few relating pictures regardless.

North End by Matt M S, on Flickr

Helix by Matt M S, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 1:41 AM
I am a typical

Thunder Bay's north downtown actually has a height limit based on sea level as opposed to building heights, which results in a situation where buildings get taller as you approach the lakes, but the view from lookouts behind downtown is unobstructed by them; all the roofs are near the same height. It has decent density for a city of 5,000 people.

The other downtown has a height limit in place because it is under the airport's flight path, and it's a hell hole.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I think that the new Guelph Civic Museum incorporates an 1850s convent that's up on the hill with the church. I'm hoping to nip over for a visit next week and reacquaint myself with downtown Guelph. Lots of beautiful 19th century stone buildings, as I recall.
In terms of historic buildings I personally believe that Guelph rivals if not surpasses any city in Ontario. It really is beautiful, and is one of the reasons that I chose to spend the remainder of my Ontario there. It also reminds me of a miniature Winnipeg, with the historic buildings, the layout and the rivers. The Church did in fact turn the convent into a museum. A reno/resto that turned out quite nice.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 2:30 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post

The effects of height limits are pretty complicated. They can make parking lots less valuable for example by reducing the return on new construction.

I think they only make sense if they serve a direct purpose in terms of preserving views or sunlight for public property.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 5:28 AM

Saskatoon, SK

Full photo tour (still) on the way later this summer.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 10:11 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Bessborough hotel totally makes the 'toon skyline shine.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 12:58 PM

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 1:40 PM
ARTchitecture

That's quite the nice fountain!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 9:32 PM
bro

Smile

Old Posted Jul 28, 2013, 2:59 AM

London's a fine town. Somebody really needs to do a photo tour post haste. Really underrepresented on SSP.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2013, 4:18 AM

I miss how clean cut London's downtown is. What I don't miss is seeing Farhi's name on absolutely everything.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2013, 8:56 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by pEte fiSt iN Ur fAce View Post
London's a fine town. Somebody really needs to do a photo tour post haste. Really underrepresented on SSP.
Absolutely

Old Posted Jul 28, 2013, 11:39 AM

On the topic of London, betcha few Canadians know its metro area is nearly 500,000. That's bigger than Halifax, Victoria, Regina, Saskatoon, etc. And yet on the national scene, it's almost completely obscure.

Give us a tour already!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2013, 3:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pEte fiSt iN Ur fAce View Post
On the topic of London, betcha few Canadians know its metro area is nearly 500,000. That's bigger than Halifax, Victoria, Regina, Saskatoon, etc. And yet on the national scene, it's almost completely obscure.

Give us a tour already!
I would like to bet against you, as I believe most Canadians would realise London, Ontario is the largest city of those you've listed.

I'm not sure in what context you're thinking when you envision London's identity as seen from the rest of the nation. I frequently hear of London because I have an abundant amount of friends who have or who are attending Western (and these are friends from the Maritimes; not local Ontarians).

As far as the national media is concerned, out of the cities on your list I would say that Halifax seems to get a disproportionate amount of attention. I would surmise the reasons for this being Halifax's age (historical anniversaries often get noted on the national news) and (more obviously) its size relative to the other municipalities in its region. Also, certain regions of Halifax have crime problems.

London, I can imagine, gets drowned out by much of the news that's produced in Toronto.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada