HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 8:00 PM

hudkina: it appears as though it is still open to cars, at least on the rendering it is.

More news. Downtown is getting its own grocery store:

Quote:
Dan Gilbert rolls out a vision for Detroit that includes districts, connections, new retail - and Papa Joe's
Crain's Detroit | March 28, 2013

Dan Gilbert led a group of developers, officials and urban planners in rolling out details today at City Theater of a vision for Detroit that follows Woodward from the riverfront to the north Woodward area, includes dozens of new tenants and retailers, and brings Papa Joe's gourmet grocer to downtown.

Papa Joe's will open in the First National Building, Gilbert said more than two hours into the presentation as he rattled off the specifics attendees were waiting for.

Many of the new tenants and features of the plan will be implemented as soon as this summer.

Some details:
◾Moosejaw signed multi-year lease to stay in Detroit permanently
◾Grand Circus Park will become one of the most prominent neighborhoods in the city.
◾Avalon Films and Neumann/Smith will move into the Wright-Kay Building.
◾RAM Construction, TubeMogul, and Harmony Point and Uber coming to Detroit
◾Just Topped ice cream store, by owner of Just Baked cupcakes, to open
◾Salon Detroit to open
◾Boutique hotel or apartments/lofts for the recently purchased Vinton Building.
◾Basketball courts and a prepared food market in Cadillac Center by this summer.
◾Graffiti artists with art all over walls of the parking garage in the Library District.

The presentation, still going on after more than two hours, provides a broad vision including esplanades, wide sidewalks, retail and walkable areas.

Gilbert brought four nationally recognized experts to consult on the project:

◾Project for Public Spaces of New York
◾Terremark Partners 4th Street in Cleveland Atlanta
◾Shook Kelley of Charlotte, N.C., branding and urban planning
◾Gibbs Planning, Birmingham, Mich.

Besides a new mix of national, regional and local retailers, the plans call for a facelift for public spaces and more pedestrian-friendly hubs downtown.

Examples include raised sidewalks, narrowed driving lanes on Jefferson Avenue, and more promenade/esplanade public walking areas. The public spaces would be dotted with shopping kiosks, biergardens, burger joints and even a surf shop.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...udes-districts

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 1:54 AM

Dan Gilbert lays out vision for Downtown Detroit
March 28, 2013 by JA Staes

Capitol Park

Grand Circus Park

1001 Woodward

Woodward Corridor

Kennedy Square

Library

Source images: http://blog.thedetroithub.com/2013/0...ntown-detroit/

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 4:39 AM

Well, the renderings themselves are kind of sad.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
Well, the renderings themselves are kind of sad.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 7:16 AM

Potential good news for Detroit hotel owners

While this perhaps isn't the most traditional development news it appears that Detroit is in the running to get the the 2014, 2015 and 2016 summer X Games.

Detroit bid for three years of Summer X Games gaining traction

By David Muller
M Live
December 14, 2012

http://www.mlive.com/business/detroi...e_years_o.html

Quote:
A rally car track around downtown Detroit's Campus Martius and a skate park in Ford Field are some of the ideas being tossed around as Detroit’s bid to host the ESPN’s Summer X Games beginning in 2014 gains momentum.
It appears that Detroit is making a serious bid, Susan Sherer who helped snag the Super Bowl is aiding the process.

Quote:
In addition to his ideas for the actual sites of events in the city, here are some of the ways Krease said Detroit have the inside lane for this bid:

Ford Motor Co. is already a leading sponsor in the X Games. “We think there’s a major synergy in them sponsoring with Ford,” Krease said.
One of ESPN’s executives involved with the X Games played football with former University of Michigan football coach Lloyd Carr, and worked in auto industry for 30 years.
Detroit has “immense cultural capital,” and could bring in local musicians for concerts accompanying the games.
The city has proven that it can put on large events like the NFL Super Bowl.

Speaking of the Super Bowl, Krease and his partner in this effort, Ian Studders, have also been receiving aid from Susan Sherer, who crafted the winning bid for Super Bowl XL in Detroit.

Here is an article by Deadline Detroit as well giving an update on the bid's process

Bid To Host Summer X Games Shuts Campus Martius, Other Sites For Video Shoot

Lauren Ann Davies
Deadline Detroit
March 23rd, 2013

http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...or_video_shoot

Quote:
Campus Martius, Roosevelt Park, Belle Isle and Cobo's roof were shut Saturday to shoot a promotional video for the bid to host the 2014, 2015 and 2016 games. Helicopters and rally cars circled the city, showing off the extreme sporting possibilities in Detroit.

With the city being in such dire financial straights I suppose one of the biggest unanswered question's so far is who is going to foot the bill?

Quote:
The specifics are speculation for now, but the official bid is due April 2. No word yet on whether they've found the $7 million in financial commitments previous reports said was necessary to place the bid.

The winning city will be announced in August

I was talking with a good friend of mine earlier a skateboarder who is flow for Nike (which means he is sponsored by them without being on the official team). He told me that today March 29th him and several other local semi professional skateboarders are going to be filming downtown with the purpose of showcasing the skateboarding scene here in Detroit.

Apparently the montage they are gonna be putting together is going to be submitted as part of the larger bid. I may head downtown with them this afternoon, if i do i will try and take some pictures.

Says the pot to the kettle in a moment of self projection

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 7:22 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
What about the Broderick tower BTW? If I remember well, it's rental and pretty expensive but still something to make more people live downtown. The high-rise living (i.e. dense downtown oriented living) can't remain forever that expensive anyway. It should end up affordable to some wide extent. What's going on in Canada is a clue.
I was talking new construction residential high-rises. Not everyone wants to live in a loft/redone office tower.

From what I could tell of the Cadillac Square rendering, it looks like they have the northern part of the boulevard above the median open to traffic. I do like that the general vision, here, is to use more of the existing sidewalk open spaces and maybe a conversion of a lane or two on the wider avenues.

Yeah, those "renderings" are pretty sad. lol I got a particularly good kick out of the the Grand Circus Park one. I spot one black guy, and he's a cop. lol

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 8:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
Yeah, those "renderings" are pretty sad. lol I got a particularly good kick out of the the Grand Circus Park one. I spot one black guy, and he's a cop. lol
The hot air balloons up in the corner got me.

And for some reason I thought that cop was dancing. Oh man. I'm going to stop myself here.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 1:45 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
That one does stick out as particularly bad. And I love the ambition of filling Grand Circus park with people! Oh, wait...are those Occupy protestors??

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
The hot air balloons up in the corner got me.
LMAO, that's so bad. I didn't notice it at first.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 8:46 PM

Okay, to make up for the renderings, here are some nicer overhead plans of the sites.

Long-term vison 2014 and beyond.
Grand Circus Park

Capitol Park

Campus Martius

Source: http://www.pps.org/blog/detroit-lead...evitalization/

Short-term (between now and 2014) implementation includes:
  • Closing off streets during large events (which kinda already happens)
  • Bringing in food trucks and outdoor markets
  • Sponsored art exhibitions and events
  • Tables, chairs, and umbrellas
  • Construction of M1-Rail and stations

My feeling is that this is not unlike many other redevelopments in the downtown cores of many other cities (ie; Portland, Pittsburgh, etc) but I think the key difference here is that this is largely being supported by private enterprise rather than being a top-down city plan. These plans were not created by the city government and I think it shows (especially if you're familiar with the ails of Detroit's city government).

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 10:22 PM

There appears to be awnings around two buildings at Grand Circus Park between Washington and Bagley and Bagley and Adams. I wonder if this is hopeful thinking on the part of the planners or if there are actually concrete plans for those sites?

Last edited by JonathanGRR; Mar 30, 2013 at 12:05 AM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 11:32 PM

I don't think they're concrete. Of course, everyone in Detroit is hoping that the holes get filled in, but I think the intent is that by making the park(s) attractive, it'll spur more development on the surrounding blocks.

Then again, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Gilbert decided to buy the land himself and develop it at some point.

Last edited by animatedmartian; Mar 30, 2013 at 12:05 AM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 2:27 AM
Honored Member

It wouldn't be that difficult for him to build a couple little 5 or 6 story buildings and fill them up with more of his umbrella/start-up businesses. What I'm waiting for is an announcement for a new 800 ft. (to the spire) "Rock Ventures" world headquarters on the old Statler site.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Okay, so the vision is closing down most Cadillac Square to auto traffic. Unlike a lot of pedestrian malls, I actually think the layout of downtown Detroit makes ita place that this could work. Cadillac Square is basically a street created for little other reason than a vista, anyway, and, heck, "square" is in the name.

Of course, the vacating of streets is something city government has to agree to, but I'm really liking the idea of dieting some of these downtown streets, particularly given that Campus Martius will be too small to handle all of the additional events as the downtown population grows. It already gets crazy during certain events.

Really, this seems to be a plan simply to put the squares and the areas connecting them to good use. It seems so obvious, but it's never really been done, even back in the "glory" days of the downtown.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 11:46 AM
Detroit Love

New office building going up on Woodward and Stimpson.

Queen Lillian Development to break ground in August on Midtown office building

Quote:

Construction is expected to begin in August on a 75,000-square-foot office building at 3439 Woodward Ave., south of Mack Avenue, in Detroit.

It is Detroit-based Queen Lillian Development LLC's second project.

Chris Jackson, principal at Queen Lillian Development, stated in a news release that the Midtown Professional Building will fill "a need for Class A office space in Midtown."

According to a news release, a medical practice, dental practice and retail tenant have expressed interest in the Midtown Professional Building, which will include a 280-spot parking garage.

In addition, Queen Lillian's first project, the $18.4-million Medical Office Building at Tolan Park, has been completed.

Doctors and researchers from the Wayne State University School of Medicine's Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neurosciences are moving in, according to a news release.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...st-on-midtown#

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 2:07 PM

Nice to see some development creep past Mack.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 2:51 PM
Honored Member

It looks fairly nice.

BTW, are there plans to do something about the massive number of homeless people that hang around outside that NSO at Third and Mack? It seems that on any given day there's dozens of homeless people hanging out in the fields around that intersection and it also seems like there is always mountains of garbage everywhere. Now that development is filling in between the University/Medical Center and Downtown, it seems like they are going to have to deal with the issue. Maybe move the NSO somewhere further outside of the downtown area. (maybe up near Ferry and Russell.)

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 6:58 PM
Detroit Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudkina View Post
It looks fairly nice.

BTW, are there plans to do something about the massive number of homeless people that hang around outside that NSO at Third and Mack? It seems that on any given day there's dozens of homeless people hanging out in the fields around that intersection and it also seems like there is always mountains of garbage everywhere. Now that development is filling in between the University/Medical Center and Downtown, it seems like they are going to have to deal with the issue. Maybe move the NSO somewhere further outside of the downtown area. (maybe up near Ferry and Russell.)
I feel the same way. Why is it that the surroundings of COTS is so much more well maintained than NSO? It's a homeless shelter, but it doesn't look like a pig sty.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 7:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfan View Post
New office building going up on Woodward and Stimpson.

Queen Lillian Development to break ground in August on Midtown office building

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...st-on-midtown#
It's really nice to see something of that size going up in that area. I'd like to see more type of this low-rise infill in the area. It's just a natural transition area between the two business districts.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 7:22 AM

Quote:
It's really nice to see something of that size going up in that area. I'd like to see more type of this low-rise infill in the area. It's just a natural transition area between the two business districts.
I agree. I'm really liking the scale of this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations