HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

View Poll Results: Which of the designs would you like to see become the new Lansdowne 'Front Lawn'?
Option A: "One Park, Four Landscapes" 12 11.88%
Option B: "Win Place Show" 23 22.77%
Option C: "A Force of Nature" 14 13.86%
Option D: "All Roads Lead to Aberdeen" 16 15.84%
Option E: "The Canal Park in Ottawa" 18 17.82%
None of the above. Please keep my ashphalt. 18 17.82%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 12:40 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I suppose something like this can go anywhere (if they've got $4 million to throw in the pot), but wouldn't Montreal be a more obvious seat?
That's what I was thinking too, but I would not object to it being in Ottawa, especially if it helps bring locals and tourists to Lansdowne due to its unique nature.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 12:46 AM

Quote:
I suppose something like this can go anywhere (if they've got $4 million to throw in the pot), but wouldn't Montreal be a more obvious seat?
No kidding.

I can only think of three comedians form Ottawa (Tom Green and Dan Aykroyd and some jack ass that played Ben Mulroney's sidekick on Canadian Idol) one comedy club (Yuk Yuks) and no comedy festivals (or at least no renown festivals).

Montreal is hands down the best place for a comedy hall of fame.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 12:58 AM

Quote:
I would have assumed so, considering Just For Laughs and all. I'm all for it coming to Ottawa if it draws enough interest. I'm not so sure Aberdeen is the most appropriate space for it though...

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
No kidding.

I can only think of three comedians form Ottawa (Tom Green and Dan Aykroyd and some jack ass that played Ben Mulroney's sidekick on Canadian Idol) one comedy club (Yuk Yuks) and no comedy festivals (or at least no renown festivals).

Montreal is hands down the best place for a comedy hall of fame.
There's also Mark McKinney from Kids in the Hall, Rich Little, Mike MacDonald, and Norm MacDonald. That's some pretty significant talent from Ottawa.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 1:47 AM

Montreal may seem like the best place for a comedy hall of fame, but they explain their rationale in the article. A lot people, including school groups and tourists, come to Ottawa for an educational experience. If the goal is to get as many Canadians as possible to visit the hall, or to teach the world about Canadian comedy, the capital is a good spot. How many nationally and internationally successfully comedians have come out of Montreal anyway? You can name at least six from Ottawa.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
There's also Mark McKinney from Kids in the Hall, Rich Little, Mike MacDonald, and Norm MacDonald. That's some pretty significant talent from Ottawa.
Don't forget Jeremy Hotz, and Jessica Holmes...

Quote:
...and some jack ass that played Ben Mulroney's sidekick on Canadian Idol...
I think that was Jon Dore. He's now on a tv show in the States ("How to Live with Your Parents (For the Rest of Your Life)"). Like Tom Green, I think he got his start on Rogers Television in Ottawa (Dore was on Rogers Daytime).

Quote:
...one comedy club (Yuk Yuks)...
There's also the comedy club on Preston: Absolute Comedy ...it brings in some decent acts.

I think Ottawa could make a go of it. We've been attracting some pretty good comedians (Canadian and international) lately at the NAC and Centrepoint Theatre. And while it's true we don't have a comedy festival in Ottawa (that I know of), perhaps a Hall of Fame would generate interest in having one - an off-shoot of the Just-For Laughs festival, for example? They already have one in Toronto. And if you consider an event like the Jazz Fest where TD has brought the festival to several major Canadian cities, Just For Laughs could work the same way. Who knows?!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Montreal? Because of the comedy Comedy Festivals or because of their City Council antics?

It would be a nice addition to Lansdowne Park but I could see Montreal as a more natural fit.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 3:18 AM

Montreal has a festival, but we have parliament (we laugh so we don't cry...). It's a toss up.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 3:31 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
How many nationally and internationally successfully comedians have come out of Montreal anyway? You can name at least six from Ottawa.
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_d...es_québécois

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 3:41 AM

Quote:
I love that guy!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 11:56 AM

Not sure how I forgot so many comedians from Ottawa. Worth noting they all got the heck out of hear. If we do get the Comedy Hall of Fame, we need to do more in terms of promoting the comedy industry (a good start would be to start up our own comedy festival).

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwlr View Post

There's also the comedy club on Preston: Absolute Comedy
I spoke to an American comedian after his show there last summer (I forget his name) and he told me Absolute Comedy was one of his favorite places to perform. He said the level of comedy is always very good, the place is always sold out and the crowds are great. I have been to Yuk Yuk's and it was a disappointment compared to Absolute.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Not sure how I forgot so many comedians from Ottawa. Worth noting they all got the heck out of hear. If we do get the Comedy Hall of Fame, we need to do more in terms of promoting the comedy industry (a good start would be to start up our own comedy festival).
There was a festival called "Cracking Up the Capital" last February, although I don't know if it was particularly successful. I don't know if it was promoted very much.

http://www.ottawafestivals.ca/events...medy-festival/

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
There was a festival called "Cracking Up the Capital" last February, although I don't know if it was particularly successful. I don't know if it was promoted very much.

http://www.ottawafestivals.ca/events...medy-festival/
Ah yes. I remember a bunch of commercials on CTV or CBC. WORST. ADD. EVER!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 4:57 PM

I'm not sure whether or not this was mentioned on this board but Ottawa will be hosting the Canadian Comedy Awards in October of this year.

http://www.canadiancomedy.ca/

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 5:10 PM

I knew Angelo Tsarouchas as a teenager, when he already wanted to be a stand up comic. He likes to make fun of his Greek heritage and size. He is big. Not a bad comic either and I have seen him on television a number of times.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 7:24 PM

There are actually 2 Yuk Yuks (one on Preston and one off Elgin) and 1 Absolute comedy. Plus the NAC seems to bring in a JFL tour a few times each year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwlr View Post

I think that was Jon Dore. He's now on a tv show in the States ("How to Live with Your Parents (For the Rest of Your Life)"). Like Tom Green, I think he got his start on Rogers Television in Ottawa (Dore was on Rogers Daytime).

There's also the comedy club on Preston: Absolute Comedy ...it brings in some decent acts.

I think Ottawa could make a go of it. We've been attracting some pretty good comedians (Canadian and international) lately at the NAC and Centrepoint Theatre. And while it's true we don't have a comedy festival in Ottawa (that I know of), perhaps a Hall of Fame would generate interest in having one - an off-shoot of the Just-For Laughs festival, for example? They already have one in Toronto. And if you consider an event like the Jazz Fest where TD has brought the festival to several major Canadian cities, Just For Laughs could work the same way. Who knows?!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 7:30 PM

Super nice guy too, I'm had the chance to share a beer with him. Hilarious man and proud to be from Ottawa. He also does a lot of MCing for charity events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
I knew Angelo Tsarouchas as a teenager, when he already wanted to be a stand up comic. He likes to make fun of his Greek heritage and size. He is big. Not a bad comic either and I have seen him on television a number of times.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 7:33 PM

Which Yuk Yuks did you visit? Preston or Elgin?

I've never been to the Preston location, but I found the crowd and talent at the Elgin location great the dozen times or so I've been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartlebooth View Post
I spoke to an American comedian after his show there last summer (I forget his name) and he told me Absolute Comedy was one of his favorite places to perform. He said the level of comedy is always very good, the place is always sold out and the crowds are great. I have been to Yuk Yuk's and it was a disappointment compared to Absolute.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 7:55 PM

I believe the key word was "successful" - 99.9% of the names on that list I've read for the first time, and I go to JFL almost every year in Montreal.
I guess Ottawans need to have a good sense of humour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa