HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 1, 2014, 3:36 AM
JasonInPGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
You know what those buildings scream? They scream So-Ho, Greenwich Village, the Meat Packing District. Those converted industrial/warehouse buildings are all over the Big Apple, Lower Manhattan in particular. People say how Pittsburgh is very similar to New York. If those buildings are converted to a mix of residential, office, and retail use, oh man...
The area that always had that kind of potential for me is Chateau. While they aren't all as old as the Strip, they have some potential. Mostly composed of warehouses with a very little residential population (11). Plus, they've got riverfront access to boot.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2014, 6:13 AM
More Varieties to Come

While taking a detour from the Parkway detour today I drove through Wilkinsburg area and saw that they were doing some work to buildings at the intersection of Wood and South. If you are heading toward the busway way on South it's buildings on both sides of the intersection on Wood that have dumpsters out front and some of those nasty fascades are gone.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPittsburgh View Post
Transit Center: It looks like they are almost onto the second level of underground parking on the side closest to Highland, which will be the spot of the first apartment building. On the side closest to Shady/Penn, they have already re-configured the intersection to remove the turn segment and create a simple 2 lane Shady Ave. It also appears that they are readying equipment and materials to cap the space between the former bus ramp and Penn Avenue.

Ace Hotel: Since there are few things going on outside, I can't really say if I see any progress, but they still do not have windows in.
I've been to the East Liberty library a few times recently, and each time there was activity on the inside of the Ace Hotel. It seems like a lot of work is being done, but nothing yet to the exterior.
Also, while sitting at the intersection by Target looking at the image for the Transit Center, it struck me how huge this development is going to be for the area. The residential component of 350+ units right on that corner is going to transform that entire block. Throw in Bakery Square, Odeon, the Highland Building, and East Liberty Place (not to mention the three new hotels within a stone's throw) and the number of new people living and working in that area is going to transform East Liberty in a way that I think a Pittsburgh neighborhood hasn't seen in our lifetimes. Previous Pittsburgh "Renaissances" that involved giant stadiums and destinations for tourists will pale in comparison to what's happening there right now, I think.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popstar View Post
Previous Pittsburgh "Renaissances" that involved giant stadiums and destinations for tourists will pale in comparison to what's happening there right now, I think.
Completely agree. The way I think of it, it is almost like Western PA is gaining a new small city.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 12:41 PM
JasonInPGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Completely agree. The way I think of it, it is almost like Western PA is gaining a new small city.
Couldn't agree more, however, there are still some parts of East Liberty that are lagging, that hopefully will see some development in the next few years.

And with all the development at the transit center, maybe that can help get rid of some of the 1960's architecture in this block here: http://goo.gl/maps/K43h4

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Couldn't agree more, however, there are still some parts of East Liberty that are lagging, that hopefully will see some development in the next few years.
Absolutely, particularly if you define a "Greater East Liberty" that includes places like Larimer and at least parts of Garfield. The plus side to that observation is that even with all that is in the works for East Liberty right now, there are still plenty of clear opportunities to do a lot more.

Quote:
And with all the development at the transit center, maybe that can help get rid of some of the 1960's architecture in this block here: http://goo.gl/maps/K43h4
I have mixed feelings about that bank building. It is undersized for the prime land it occupies, but I actually think it is a decent example of post-WWII architecture potentially worth saving. Of course the CVS should definitely go at some point (not necessarily the tenant, but the building).

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 1:46 PM
JasonInPGH

Quote:
Absolutely, particularly if you define a "Greater East Liberty" that includes places like Larimer and at least parts of Garfield. The plus side to that observation is that even with all that is in the works for East Liberty right now, there are still plenty of clear opportunities to do a lot more.

I have mixed feelings about that bank building. It is undersized for the prime land it occupies, but I actually think it is a decent example of post-WWII architecture potentially worth saving. Of course the CVS should definitely go at some point (not necessarily the tenant, but the building).
I think that as East Liberty changes, it will force some development on Larimer and Homewood, areas that could use some development at the moment. That block, with some facade improvements could be a really nice area, especially with the transit center being close.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 2:24 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
I have mixed feelings about that bank building. It is undersized for the prime land it occupies, but I actually think it is a decent example of post-WWII architecture potentially worth saving.
The 1990s-era drive-through component of the Citizens Bank across the street is much worse.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 3:11 PM

So for fun I defined a "Greater East Liberty" based on Census tracts. It might not be ideal, but I think it is good enough for my purposes here. In any event, in addition to East Liberty proper it ended up including Larimer, eastern Shadyside to Negley, Friendship (as officially defined to Graham), eastern Garfield to Aiken, Morningside, and Highland Park.

That area as of the 2010 Census had by my count a population of 27,260. There are parts which may still be losing population, but some are clearly gaining, and I suspect the overall balance as of the next Census will be distinctly positive.

A true town/city (rather than just a large township without much of a center) of that size is actually not that common in Western PA. Obviously there is Pittsburgh over 300,000 and Erie around 100,000, then Altoona at around 46,000. I think you could make an argument for Mt Lebanon--it is about 33,000.

But then New Castle is already down at 23,000. Johnstown is under 21,000. McKeesport is under 20,000. Wilkinsburg (interesting possible parallel there) is under 16,000. Greensburg is under 15,000 (thought it would have been bigger, actually). Butler and Washington are under 14,000. New Kensington under 13,000. Uniontown is just over 10,000. Jeannette is under 10,000. Aliquippa and Beaver Falls are individually under 10,000 and 9,000 respectively.

Bottom line, if you conceive of Greater East Liberty as its own little city, it would rank somewhere around 4-5 in Western PA, and ahead of a lot of historic county seats and such. Of course you could do the same thing with some other Pittsburgh areas, like Greater Oakland, but I don't think it is an exaggeration to say the revitalization of East Liberty is one of the single most important redevelopment stories going on in the region (and maybe the entire state).

Last edited by BrianTH; Jun 3, 2014 at 3:21 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 3:14 PM

Quote:
I think that as East Liberty changes, it will force some development on Larimer and Homewood, areas that could use some development at the moment.
In fact it is already happening. Both Larimer and Homewood have started serious redevelopment efforts. With Larimer, it is really being driven by proximity to East Liberty. With Homewood, it is a bit more complicated because it also has its own Busway station, which is the current nexus of redevelopment there.

But I think it is reasonable to expect East Liberty's redevelopment to create ripple effects down the Busway. Again, I'd suggest that is already happening with Homewood, and perhaps to some extent Wilkinsburg as well.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
The 1990s-era drive-through component of the Citizens Bank across the street is much worse.
Yep. Also the former bank at Penn and Highland, which is ugly and now vacant. Fortunately, that Citizens Bank location is already a victim of the East Liberty Transit Center, and the Penn/Highland building is slated to be replaced by Walnut's new apartment plan (which has taken over from The Odeon plan).

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 3:48 PM

Here is a nice little article from PG about bringing new green space and bike infrastructure to Oakland.

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/ci...s/201406020070

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
The stand-alone drive thru bank branch is probably the biggest detriment to urban improvement today, followed closely by stand alone pharmacies - with or without a drive thru. They are the leading mini-box stores that blight city streets everywhere. Need 'em? Sure. But also hate their deadening parking lots and curb cuts.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 12:13 AM

Just when you think the corner of Penn & Negley (with the impending Autozone) couldn't get any worse... this happens:

Quote:
From: bgcmainstreets@gmail.com On Behalf Of Mainstreets Manager
Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2014 9:17 AM
Subject: Zoning Board hearings for Penn and Negley

It isn't very often that such an important moment in our potential future happens, but here we are. Within one week of one another, both properties at Penn and Negley are going in front of the Zoning Board, proposing uses for the sites that our community, in every meeting i've ever attended and conversation I've ever had with anyone about them, completely opposes.

On this Thursday, June 5th (@9:20 am at 200 Ross St), the board will hear variance requests to develop the old Baby Land properties into an Auto Zone. We have been rallying a strong opposition to come to the hearing to let the board know how much our community is against such a development at such an important corner for so many districts.

Now we have notice that on June 12th (@9:30am at 200 Ross St) Monroe Muffler will be requesting a variance to allow that site to permanently be a dumping site.

I am going to create a second google doc to sign as a petition and also to let us know if you can come and speak out (that is if you live or work within 500 feet) at either meeting.

Help us to ensure that Penn Avenue's future doesn't have such a bleak entrance.
fucking insanity. I can't even believe this. Will be going to both public hearings!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 1:09 AM

Puke.

But finally some NIMBYs I can support! Give 'em hell.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 1:19 AM
Northsider

Quote:
Puke.

But finally some NIMBYs I can support! Give 'em hell.
Sometimes us NIMBYs are in the right.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 1:23 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

So all these great projects in East Lib and the east end; The Southside is completely rehabbed, the Northside has lots of projects; And there's like NOTHING going on in the western part of the city. Sheraden, Crafton Heights, Ingram... Why is that area so neglected?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 1:24 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Gene, did you just come out as a Nimby??

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 1:35 AM
JasonInPGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
Just when you think the corner of Penn & Negley (with the impending Autozone) couldn't get any worse... this happens:

fucking insanity. I can't even believe this. Will be going to both public hearings!
This makes me want to puke, I cannot make it to the hearings, but I hope that someone delivers a strong opposition to this. Heck, I would buy the property just to deny this.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
In the past, Nimbys used to try and shoot down projects because they deemed too ambitious. "It's too tall" "Too much traffic" "Open the mills back up with the money" and so on. Now, with a changed demographic and mentality in certain parts of the city, the denizens are looking for the highest use of key properties.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations