HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 6:12 PM

2011 Assessments are online

You can search your 2011 property assessment on the City of Calgary website:

2011 Assessments

It looks like the average assessed value when up by 9.6%.

I always find this amusing, my assessment is at least $100,000 more than I could realistically have sold for, even in July. Maybe I'll try appealing again this year.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 6:56 PM
Bring buildings to life

Mine went up by 13%.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 7:20 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Mine's up on par with the average increase, and is pretty accurate considering what we could probably get for it. Maybe the City just gets my neighbourhood but they've been eerily accurate for my house every time (except during the height of the boom when the house could have sold for 20-25% more than its assessed value).

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 7:24 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Mine went up 16%, it's now 5% below the max value during the height of the boom, pretty unrealistic I'd say.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 8:00 PM
BANNED

Many people have suggested they are unrealistic, but the assessments are based on real sales comparisons - and the sales comparisons data is available on-line also. Note that it is for July 2010 and prices have stagnated from then - however, CREB data shows that it actually has not gone down much, rather, the lower inventory numbers have kept the prices level.

Wentworth - I'd be extremely surprised if your assessment is truly $100K less than a realistic sales price in July 2010. Have you actually looked at the comparable sales data for your area? You should.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 9:46 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburb View Post
Many people have suggested they are unrealistic, but the assessments are based on real sales comparisons - and the sales comparisons data is available on-line also. Note that it is for July 2010 and prices have stagnated from then - however, CREB data shows that it actually has not gone down much, rather, the lower inventory numbers have kept the prices level.

Wentworth - I'd be extremely surprised if your assessment is truly $100K less than a realistic sales price in July 2010. Have you actually looked at the comparable sales data for your area? You should.
Agreed, although I'm sure there are exceptions. She keeps pretty close tabs on comparable sales in our area (it's an obsession of hers) and our assessment is always damn accurate.

Mind you it's easy to do this in modern tract home suburbs. With only a handful of designs and pretty clear demographic delineation, it's trivial to find a couple dozen houses almost identical to mine, and at any given time, there's always one or three up for sale. So I can track my sale price almost monthly without ever consulting a realtor.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburb View Post

Wentworth - I'd be extremely surprised if your assessment is truly $100K less (more) than a realistic sales price in July 2010. Have you actually looked at the comparable sales data for your area? You should.
There is a house a few blocks from mine that is almost identical to ours. It sold at the end of April of this year for $570,000. I see that it is assessed for almost $660,000. So there is your $100,000. Ours is assessed a little higher than that still. I wonder if it's still possible to use its adjusted sale price as a market comparable.

It's hard to calculate a fair market average for my area as there are a large number of custom built homes in the $1m-$2m range.

Last edited by Wentworth; Jan 5, 2011 at 4:33 AM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 5:59 AM

That's funny because ours is assessed at almost $100k below the value. Being in Crescent Heights NE, there is a big mix of homes. The odd thing is that the renovated gutted dump that's been sitting empty and had homeless people living in it, is at $750k, which is a lot higher than ours. I'm not sure how they get the pricing but I'm happy to pay less on our land taxes because of it. I would guess that home sales in the area influence pretty big and our neighbour sold their place for below land cost as he let the place fall apart and just wanted to get out. Our assessment dropped almost $80k in one year after that sale.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 3:16 PM

So does anyone know the highest assessed?

SSP y u no let me have image here

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 3:58 PM

It used to be a house in Pump Hill, but I'm not sure if that's still true.

Not sure if this is it or not, but this one is $20m

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 4:45 AM

My fiance's place was about 10% over its actual value (she bought it on July 1 2010), though it seems most of the houses on that street seem to be over valued about that much compared to recent sales.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 5:37 AM

I find this to be the ugliest house in all of Calgary.... I think it's because it is so visible from 14th Street
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.006968&z=18

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 1:46 PM
Beer me Captain

Interesting Tidbit

From 2002 to 2011, the city increased the assessed value of my property in Silver Springs by 128%.

In the same time, the city has increased the assessed value of my property in Tuxedo by 136%.

If we assume that any skew associated to the algorithms used to compute property values are similar throughout the city and that consumer behaviour is also consistent (I.e. purchasers in SS won't over/under pay for assets any more than someone in the Tuxedo) this provides an interesting observation.

I'm not sure we can say absolutely that inner city properties increase in value faster than inner suburbs (which is what I would classify SS as), however this appears to provide a datum in support of that.

Note: Since the 2002 valuation of the property in SS, Crowchild has been upgraded and LRT extended through the area - things that should add value. Also property in SS was built in 1972 and the one in Tuxedo was built in 2002 - so these represent house valuations, not land.

Do something about your future.

Last edited by shreddog; Jan 7, 2011 at 1:59 PM. Reason: Removed actual assessed values - no need to include them really

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokWawelski View Post
I find this to be the ugliest house in all of Calgary.... I think it's because it is so visible from 14th Street
This house has been around forever! As a child, I remember wondering if it was a mosque or a temple, as it kinda looks like one.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 3:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
This house has been around forever! As a child, I remember wondering if it was a mosque or a temple, as it kinda looks like one.
I don't believe it has been around forever. In fact, I remember walking through it when it was being framed when it was a day off for construction. That was this century - between 2001 and 2004 I think.

Regarding the question of if it was a mosque or a temple, you perhaps don't know that area too well ... synagogue may have been a better guess.

EDIT:

Checked city assessments which lists construction in 1990 so I was wrong - but still within my memory so that means it isn't all that old

Interestingly, for a home on a 12K+ sf lot with 7.7K sf above grade + basement developed, it sure has a very LOW assessment value of only $1.37M. That tells me that the rich folks who own it are not paying their fair share of taxes. With that much land and that size, it should have an assessment of about double what it is. The fact it is ugly should not come into the equation.

Last edited by suburb; Jan 7, 2011 at 5:52 PM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 3:47 PM

Is it that recent? Seems longer than that! Maybe I'm confusing it with another structure.

In any case, you're right, I don't know that area very well at all. I've only passed by it on 14th Street so I just took a guess. Hope I didn't offend anyone.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 3:54 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokWawelski View Post
This is the Columbian druglord house! We totally love that place (plus a few nearby). They'd fit right into a shitty 80s B movie.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 5:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
Hope I didn't offend anyone.
Not at all.

That area is Jewish central, so odds of a mosque or temple therein would be particularly low. That's why the main entry road is called Jerusalem Road, which passes immediately beside the Jewish Community Centre located within Jerusalem Park along with the Congregational House of Jacob. The Calgary Jewish School is just across 14th and up a pinch, right beside the Beth Tzedec Conservative Congregation.

Are there any other overtly religious affiliated areas in the city? We certainly have other areas that are culture/ethnicity centric hubs - but culture is different from religion of course.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 6:24 PM
Here and There

How come the homes in pupm hill are appraised so low??? Im sure they sell for way over 1.3 million or whatever they are priced at. How does this happen? Is it because they used to be out in the boonies?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 6:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
How come the homes in pupm hill are appraised so low??? Im sure they sell for way over 1 million. How does this happen? Is it because they used to be out in the boonies?
It might actually just be that one house, 1507 96th ave. Perhaps because it is so ugly. Keep in mind that the prior house mentioned, likely the most expensive within the city at a cool $20,000,000 is also in the same area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy