HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 3:53 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Yeah, my parents are both from very small villages in the Maritimes. They moved away for jobs and are now retired in Ontario living in a fairly large metro area.

They've opined many times over the years about moving back to the Maritimes (to my mom's village) as it would be cheaper and all (cashing out on their current house for example), but haven't done it and won't ever do it now for family reasons as they want to stay close to their kids, grandkids and friends they made during their working lives.

Many of their friends are the same, being from small-town Quebec and NB and have all flirted with the idea of going back in retirement but almost none have followed through.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yeah, my parents are both from very small villages in the Maritimes. They moved away for jobs and are now retired in Ontario living in a fairly large metro area.

They've opined many times over the years about moving back to the Maritimes (to my mom's village) as it would be cheaper and all (cashing out on their current house for example), but haven't done it and won't ever do it now for family reasons as they want to stay close to their kids, grandkids and friends they made during their working lives.

Many of their friends are the same, being from small-town Quebec and NB and have all flirted with the idea of going back in retirement but almost none have followed through.
And I suspect that some who do "go home" end up regretting their decision, a bit like some immigrants who retire back to the "old country". It works for some, but for others the place has changed from what they remembered.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
And I suspect that some who do "go home" end up regretting their decision, a bit like some immigrants who retire back to the "old country". It works for some, but for others the place has changed from what they remembered.
I'd imagine retirement as one of the few times this would really work. Steady income from outside the town, a paid off house, and more time on your hands.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
I'd imagine retirement as one of the few times this would really work. Steady income from outside the town, a paid off house, and more time on your hands.
I think it can work for some and not for others, like anything else. It's probably an easier transition for those who have remained in close touch with the home town over the years.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 11:13 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
That's something with which I've never been able to relate. I lived on the mainland from 1999-2003, and from 2005-2012. In that time almost every friend I grew up with had moved away. The city itself changed tremendously - there are suburbs now in areas that were complete wilderness; I can't remember the last time I saw a Chevette and those used to be the only thing on the road - we were look Cuba, only seemingly even poorer. I no longer have any living blood relatives in the neighbourhood where I spent most of my time. I don't know anyone who lives in the houses my ancestors built today. Doesn't matter. There's very little that's the same... preserving childhood or familiarity has never been what it's about for me. I don't care if the city changes; I just want to share that experience with the place I love. We only live once, do we really want to spend it somewhere we're not invested in? Somewhere we don't love? Somewhere we don't belong?

I can't understand at all that people who would move back where they come from and be disappointed it's evolved. But it seems to be very common.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
That's something with which I've never been able to relate. I lived on the mainland from 1999-2003, and from 2005-2012. In that time almost every friend I grew up with had moved away. The city itself changed tremendously - there are suburbs now in areas that were complete wilderness; I can't remember the last time I saw a Chevette and those used to be the only thing on the road - we were look Cuba, only seemingly even poorer. I no longer have any living blood relatives in the neighbourhood where I spent most of my time. I don't know anyone who lives in the houses my ancestors built today. Doesn't matter. There's very little that's the same... preserving childhood or familiarity has never been what it's about for me. I don't care if the city changes; I just want to share that experience with the place I love. We only live once, do we really want to spend it somewhere we're not invested in? Somewhere we don't love? Somewhere we don't belong?

I can't understand at all that people who would move back where they come from and be disappointed it's evolved. But it seems to be very common.
You weren't gone long enough either time. I'm thinking of folks who have been away for 30 or 40 years and discover that the Portugal (or whatever) of their youthful memories no longer exists. Even then, it's some and not others.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada