HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 11:39 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
I work at a Cancer research lab so I can help.....

Terry Fox Foundation is a good one. Most Cancer research labs in Canada get grants from CIHR and NCIC (National Cancer Institute of Canada). Terry Fox Foundation funnel their money to NCIC
Awesome thanks, I'll have to see if I can set up a regular payment like I do here. I have a direct debit to Cancer Research UK, it's not a lot each month, but I feel like I'm making the effort.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 12:16 AM
Needs more coffee...

i try to always give to one local thing and one more national/global cause.. City Kidz does some awesome stuff here for sure, but there's tons of great places that have already been mentioned as well.

Canadian Blood Services as well is a great cause - blood, or monetary gifts both work!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 9:08 AM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by emge View Post
Canadian Blood Services as well is a great cause - blood, or monetary gifts both work!
Am not allowed to give blood in the UK.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 12:10 PM
It's Hammer Time

You won't be able to donate blood in Canada as well.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 6:26 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
You won't be able to donate blood in Canada as well.
I can't donate either, I got too many diseases.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 6:37 PM

Some people can't donate blood even if they don't have diseases.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 6:40 PM
Closed account

Very true Flar.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2008, 1:53 PM
It's Hammer Time

Hamilton food banks desperate

December 22, 2008
Dana Brown
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/485575

Hamilton's food banks have seen a significant jump in holiday need due to the worsening economic climate.

And while several say they'll be able to meet demand, they're counting on the community to help them weather tough times.

"This isn't the first recession we've been through and ... the community usually finds a way to dig deep in some fashion or another," said Alan Whittle, director of community relations and planning for Good Shepherd.

This year alone, the organization has had about 14 per cent more people using its food bank. For the Christmas program there has been a 33 per cent increase.

"I think part of it is that we're really just beginning to see the impact of the recession on people," he said.

Canon Wendy Roy, executive director at St. Matthew's House, said that things are going out as fast as they are coming in.

At the Salvation Army, 500 new families have signed up for the Christmas campaign, bringing the total to 2,000 families.

The Salvation Army is "really cutting it close" when it comes to providing for those in need this year, said Jennifer Kellner, administrative manager and major gifts officer.

The target for the kettle campaign is $550,000, but as of Friday, only $406,000 had been raised.

"That target was set before (the) increase in registration. So even if we meet our financial target, that's still well below what the actual need is for this Christmas," Kellner said.

Joanne Santucci, executive director of Hamilton Food Share, said among the nine agencies the organization supplies, there has been about a 15 per cent increase in need, on average. A lot of the agencies are pretty much on par with last year in terms of donations.

"There's no reason why you can't give this holiday season, because even a dollar will help, even a can will help," she said.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion