HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 16, 2015, 2:13 AM

"Throw up some cranes". What an interesting way of putting it. Normally we just talk about crane erections in this context.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post
Seriously, to vastly improve the region overall, where should money be invested to encourage growth and make housing more affordable? When the second narrows is at end of life, then it will be replaced, but the Pattullo is already past end of life, and the GMT is just as old and smaller and more important to international trade.
Having done the commute from Surrey to North Van for 4 years I concur. Even the AF should be twinned and light removed at 72nd and #91 before Second Narrows gets replaced.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 4:47 PM

I don't think the issue is the 2nd narrows itself, it's the North Van approach, and I'd say its just as dangerous as the pautello.

Once this area is changed I bet much of the issues around the 2nd narrows are solved for a decade or two. Seems like a good place to put some money to get great bang for your buck if you're the MOT.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 5:33 PM
See ya down under, mates

No one thinks Ironworkers is too narrow or needs replacing. The interchanges and highway width north of the bridge, yes, Lions Gate or a third crossing to serve Lonsdale and the western north shore, yes.

Another four or so lanes across the inlet would solve everything for the rest of the century. That's the difference between it and traffic issues to the east and south.

Last edited by Pinion; Aug 20, 2015 at 5:44 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 5:54 PM
life in the present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
No one thinks Ironworkers is too narrow or needs replacing. The interchanges and highway width north of the bridge, yes, Lions Gate or a third crossing to serve Lonsdale and the western north shore, yes.

Another four or so lanes across the inlet would solve everything for the rest of the century. That's the difference between it and traffic issues to the east and south.
Completely agree!!! When the Lions Gate is just one lane in a particular directly that must be a world's record for the fewest lanes between two populations of their respective size. It's enough already!!

Given this week's 'bump' issue, the Lions Gate isn't even able to support transit or trade let alone cars. The counter-flow system is taxed to the limit, even switching lanes every 15 mins does nothing any more, tipping point has occurred and now something MUST be done!!

Keep in mind, this 'single lane' also serves downtown-west side-richmond-airport to BC Ferries and Whistler! On a global scale it's nothing short of insanity!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 6:58 PM

Quote:

Are you saying that you are receptive to the idea of a CBD (?) waterfront - Lower Lonsdale crossing, of 4-6 lanes, presmlably a bridge (not a tunnel)?
That image was presented in the late 60s, and I am told it was reacted with shock and horror and rejection, rather like the Chinatown/Crosstown freeway plan.
But, hey, I agree. It's going to reach chokepoint sooner or later, and something has to be built. Would you go for a 4 lane bridge with the Canada Line on it?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 7:11 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Are you saying that you are receptive to the idea of a CBD (?) waterfront - Lower Lonsdale crossing, of 4-6 lanes, presmlably a bridge (not a tunnel)?
That image was presented in the late 60s, and I am told it was reacted with shock and horror and rejection, rather like the Chinatown/Crosstown freeway plan.
But, hey, I agree. It's going to reach chokepoint sooner or later, and something has to be built. Would you go for a 4 lane bridge with the Canada Line on it?
I don't care what format it is. Just at least four additional lanes if Lions Gate is staying open, or six lanes if not. Preferably with a skytrain too.

Last edited by Pinion; Aug 20, 2015 at 7:31 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 10:05 PM
See ya down under, mates

A single crash has traffic backed up to Lonsdale at 3pm... This is basically the norm now

edit: my 3km north-shore-only commute at 4pm, which doesn't involve the highway at all, took 30 minutes. That's usually 7 minutes max.

Last edited by Pinion; Aug 20, 2015 at 11:31 PM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 9:51 PM

Still two weeks ago there was no sign of anything happening on the Keith Road widening project, but driving by today things were at full swing.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 1:33 AM

Without getting into whether or not a new crossing is needed, or should be built, or any of that, I am curious to know where you guys would see it be built. And would it be a bridge or a tunnel?

The most common idea I have heard is for a tunnel from Main Street to the North Shore. But that would mean building under the widest point in the harbour. And where would it end up? Lonsdale isn't a suitable location.

What other options are there from the Vancouver side? Clark seems to me like the perfect street, but it's as far away as Main. Nothing else seems adequate (maybe Renfrew?).

And then there are few options on the North Shore - Fell? Brooksbank? I don't think Pemberton would be the best choice as it is slowly being pedestrianized.

So what options are actually feasible? The only ones I can think of, east of downtown, would be Main/Clark to Fell (a looong tunnel), or Renfrew to Brooksbank. Both would have a giant pricetag. Perhaps the cheapest option would be a tunnel under the Lions Gate Bridge alignment...

Anyway, I'm very interested in hearing your suggestions, because I honestly can't think of many feasible possibilities.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 5:20 AM

I was in the area today, but I missed the morning rush. These are taken at 10:30am when westbound traffic was still doing constant stop-n-go north of the bridge. That's a lot of traffic outside of rush hours!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 6:30 AM
See ya down under, mates

Last Saturday night I got stuck in a 30 minute stop-and-go traffic jam at Lions Gate southbound at 9:30pm.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 12:39 PM
See ya down under, mates

Liberals are promising to replace the Hwy 1 Lynn Creek bridge ASAP if they are elected (and 10 minute seabus sailings... again). Conservatives are apparently waiting until 2025, which is absurd. All the interchange improvements will have minimal effect until you widen that bridge. Other parties were disappointingly vague.

http://www.nsnews.com/news/parties-p...ixes-1.2056041

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 12:33 AM

http://www.thenownewspaper.com/news/328098591.html

Travel time signs to spur Highway 1 drivers to pay tolls
by Jeff Nagel - Surrey North Delta Leader
posted Sep 17, 2015 at 1:00 PM

Eight overhead digital message signs along Highway 1 in Metro Vancouver now display live travel time estimates to key points along the corridor.

Transportation ministry officials say travel time surveys show regular Port Mann users save 40 minutes a day – more than three hours a week – compared to compared to battling traffic through New Westminster to take the untolled Pattullo Bridge.

A ceremony staged Thursday officially ended construction of the $3.3-billion Port Mann/Highway 1 project.

A multi-use path also opened on the bridge giving cyclists a new route across the Fraser River

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 12:52 AM

I'm looking at klazus pictures and noticed how there is absolutely no shoulder space in the middle (also no shoulder space on some sections on the right too). which differs completely from highway 1 around port Mann. Highway 17 also has a huge variety of shoulder widths. You would think there would be some standardization??? BC just doesn't seem to get it when it comes to building freeways. It's really odd

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 1:28 AM
See ya down under, mates

That part is through a native reserve so they're probably unable to widen it to modern standards without years of negotiation/bribery.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 1:49 AM

Quote:
That part is through a native reserve so they're probably unable to widen it to modern standards without years of negotiation/bribery.
In that context I am so surprised how quickly that new bike lane in North Vancouver was put up. Although likely it was also preluded by years of negotiation/bribery. Dunno, but native's seem to be huge nimbys.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 1:04 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
In that context I am so surprised how quickly that new bike lane in North Vancouver was put up. Although likely it was also preluded by years of negotiation/bribery. Dunno, but native's seem to be huge nimbys.
The spirit trail? It's still not connected through native land in Mosquito Creek Marina. They finally agreed to something recently and it will be done for Summer 2016 hopefully.

It was supposed to be Horseshoe Bay to Deep Cove, all connected. They still have a long way to go. The part directly east of Lions Gate seemed easy though yeah.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2015, 11:17 PM

Bribery is being used as a derogatory term. Please stop.

Respect.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2015, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
I think that that has sort of been "bred" into them. Remember please, that only 130 years ago, before the arrival of the CPR, and the foundation of Vancouver,
this area was ALL the "back yard" of the Coast Salish Indians, and I am trying to be factual, and not playing the role of "bleeding heart liberal" here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure