HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Should Winnipeg Have It's Own Specific SSP: Local within the Man./Sask. Forum?
Yes - Winnipeg only specific thread. 49 56.98%
No 37 43.02%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 22, 2016, 6:54 PM

Question Should Winnipeg Have It's Own Specific Section (Local) within the Man./Sask. Forum

Manitoba and Saskatchewan posters please vote Yes or No .

Would you like to see Winnipeg have it's own SSP: Local Section similiar to these examples:

Vancouver:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/foru...hp?forumid=161

Edmonton:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/foru...hp?forumid=648

Please leave your thoughts and comments and any questions. Thanks.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2016, 7:04 PM

I would vote yes.

While we currently have threads for specific topics and projects they sometimes get lost in the shuffle and the main construction thread just becomes a catch all. A more organized local would help prevent that and help keep discussion about specific topics in their appropriate threads.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2016, 7:04 PM
arf

Vancouver's seems like overkill for Winnipeg, but having some logic is nice. Edmonton's is a bit of a dog's breakfast.

Given that there's only about fifteen to twenty really active topics in MB/SK for Winnipeg right now. The Edmonton structure would probably work. The threads at the bottom of the Edmonton section are a year old. I think it boils down to how active are other Winnipeg forums outside of SSP. If there are pretty active ones then even splitting Winnipeg out from MB/SK is probably overkill in the first place. That said, I like Vancouver's even though a few sections haven't been touched in a month or two.

As far as the split goes in the first place. I'm in the no camp. Not quite enough traffic to warrant it. The threads are lively, but there's not enough threads that it is killing the rest of MB/SK.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 22, 2016, 7:07 PM
the first stamp is free

No.

I dislike the "local forum" setup with a deep burning passion.

Makes things more complicated for the users to accomplish something that really only matters in some sort of a city versus city dick measuring contest of perceived national importance in the world of SSP.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2016, 7:08 PM

No. Why does the question even need to be asked again? If we move to the local model can I ask for a poll every six months to change it back to the way it was before?

If for some reason we move to a local model, I can't say that I would have any interest in navigating the Vancouver-type forum-within-a-forum.

EDIT: drew nailed it, this seems to be mainly of interest to teenagers who look at it purely as an issue "well if Halifax and their CMA population of 390,328 has one, then why don't we??"

Old Posted Jan 22, 2016, 7:12 PM
arf

^Stop being old and rational.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 1:17 PM

Reg: thread creation in general:

I'd love to see more posters becoming active in creating new threads on projects, development and issues if the need arises in Saskatchewan or Manitoba ( check back through previous pages first to limit duplication of threads).

eg: Would anyone be interested in starting a Retail Discussion thread for Regina?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 11:41 PM
surely you agree with me

Has it been three months already? Time flies since the last time someone asked this question.

No. Who cares if other cities have it. It sucks. This layout is totally fine.

Last edited by trueviking; Jan 24, 2016 at 12:45 AM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 12:39 AM

I liked this board better when all of Western Canada was on one page. It's nice to see what's going on in different cities and to hear out of town perspectives. As an added plus, it kept some of the inane conversations down. I can only imagine how quickly the Winnipeg Restaurants thread would devolve into the Winnipeg Drive-thru Dumpout thread if this community became any more insular.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 12:44 AM
surely you agree with me

^totally. I have always been against compartmentalizing this forum. Each time the boxes get smaller, the discussion is less diverse and interesting.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 3:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
^totally. I have always been against compartmentalizing this forum. Each time the boxes get smaller, the discussion is less diverse and interesting.
Okay I'm swayed, change my vote to NO!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Having its own thread is just a way to organize information and make it easier to find information and opinions you are looking for without having to read through all kinds of posts that are not relevant. It provides a thread on a topic. If you look on the Canada thread, the topics jump around all over the place because in many cases people post items there instead of under the city they are discussing.While not preventing that, it would help minimize that if each major city had their own thread. Winnipeg is big enough to have its own thread.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 4:19 AM
Heart of the Continent

I agree - this is the question that should have been asked a long time ago. I read other parts of the forum for other places. I come here to read about my provincial capital, for the most part.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 4:25 AM

YES!
YES!
YES!
YES!
I can't stand anything Saskatchewan related.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 5:03 AM
I am a typical

How about just a subsection of this section for development related posts, and the original section can hold all the other discussions?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 7:52 AM
surely you agree with me

To be honest. I'd be happy with one thread.

It totally kills the discussion to break everything out. It's not about finding information. It's a discussion. Right now Winnipeg's is like a chat among friends on a few topics. When every little thought gets its own section/thread it kills the flow and dialogue. Those local forums are like a spreadsheet for doing research. Winnipeg has a good thing going. We have for years. Just leave it. It works well. I see no benefit.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 7:53 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
I agree - this is the question that should have been asked a long time ago. I read other parts of the forum for other places. I come here to read about my provincial capital, for the most part.
It gets asked three times a year.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 7:59 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTrans View Post
Having its own thread is just a way to organize information and make it easier to find information and opinions you are looking for without having to read through all kinds of posts that are not relevant. It provides a thread on a topic. If you look on the Canada thread, the topics jump around all over the place because in many cases people post items there instead of under the city they are discussing.While not preventing that, it would help minimize that if each major city had their own thread. Winnipeg is big enough to have its own thread.
It has nothing to do with being big enough. It has to do with creating good discussion. Our section has that. Don't bugger it up just because we are 'big enough'.

The Canada section is not a good comparison. It actually works much like the Winnipeg section. It's a handful of topics. Locals become every building or bit of news getting its own topic.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 1:55 PM

It's clear that the numbers are pointing towards people wanting a local section, so all I can do at this point is to plead for an Edmonton-style local (which would basically be a single catch-all for everything Winnipeg related) as opposed to a Vancouver-style local with all of its numerous subforums, which in my opinion would be disastrous to the discussion flow.

The latter arrangement would only make sense if there were hundreds or thousands of posts a day and breaking it up was the only way to manage the flow of information... obviously we are far from that level of activity. At any given time there are no more than a few dozen Winnipeg-related threads active in a given month which is easily accommodated in a single forum.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 2:08 PM

Hmm..The last actual poll of this type, (forum related) was taken in March of 2013, before that one Aug.2010 ?

Either way it helps forum administration make their decision if change is warranted or not.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan