HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 1, 2009, 4:21 AM
visionary

Everytime there is a discussion about IKEA with a coworker he always says traffic is downtown is way worse than Keneston? I am like whoa, where have you have been lately. And not one city has a big box store downtown? Then I counteract with all these wonderful facts of what can be done downtown...

In Vancuver they have a Costco right across the street from BC place stadium. Its on the groudfloor of a residential or office tower. http://www.costco.ca/Warehouse/Locat...552&lang=en-CA

There are even Future Shops in downtown Vancouver and Montréal. The one in Vancouver is two stories. The one Montrèal is in the old Montreal Forum on catherine street. The arena was completely gutted and converted into a downtown entertainment centre called the Pepsi Forum, consisting of an AMC multiplex theater, shops and restaurants. On a side note, I wish they had kept that nostalgic arena the way it was make it into a Canadiens hall of fame, with stores and restaurant and practise facility.

If those cities can do it and have those big stores set-up shop downtown I don't see why they can't get Ikea there. Albeit parking maybe an issue for some but from what I see there is plenty of parking downtown, IKea even offers delivery. I am sure the Ikea and the city can come up with free parking if you spend like $20 at Ikea just like they do at Portage place mall and Mountain Equipement. Even alot of cities build parkades that cost are shared with the city, and stores and offices & residential towers

Old Posted Jan 1, 2009, 5:41 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperred88 View Post
There are even Future Shops in downtown Vancouver and Montréal. The one in Vancouver is two stories. The one Montrèal is in the old Montreal Forum on catherine street. The arena was completely gutted and converted into a downtown entertainment centre called the Pepsi Forum, consisting of an AMC multiplex theater, shops and restaurants. On a side note, I wish they had kept that nostalgic arena the way it was make it into a Canadiens hall of fame, with stores and restaurant and practise facility.

If those cities can do it and have those big stores set-up shop downtown I don't see why they can't get Ikea there. Albeit parking maybe an issue for some but from what I see there is plenty of parking downtown, IKea even offers delivery. I am sure the Ikea and the city can come up with free parking if you spend like $20 at Ikea just like they do at Portage place mall and Mountain Equipement. Even alot of cities build parkades that cost are shared with the city, and stores and offices & residential towers
IKEA is way, way bigger than a downtown Future Shop. Also the idea of IKEA is to have people wander through like mice in a maze on a single level. Redesigning their retail concept to fit a multi-level store in downtown Winnipeg seems pretty unlikely. No doubt a need for easy access for transport trucks would also make downtown an unlikely IKEA location.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2009, 5:54 AM
visionary

^
they seem to have no problem to have big trucks ship to the downtown costco in vancouver.

Yes I know Ikea is the biggest big box store around

My ways of thinking about downtowns has changed since I have looked and visited other cities downtowns. I used to only like shopping at st.vital or keneston before I moved to the city from a rural town down south. Now that I see that big box stores can work downtown I can't see why not others cannot do. I believe anything can be done if you put your mind to it.

People I have talked to in this city still can't believe that a big box store like future shop can fit in other cities downtowns.No I am not saying there should be a future shop downtown because there is plenty around the city and the demographics and population is too small to have one downtown.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2009, 6:23 AM
I am a typical

I live downtown and there is a logistics operation beside my apartment. 53 foot transports have no problem turning off of the 2 lane street I live on, which happens to be one of the busiest in the city.

As long as the truck has room to manoeuvrer it will work out. IKEA isn't using trucks any bigger than the ones that go to grocery stores, retail outlets or logistics facilities downtown. They're the same 40 to 53 foot containers all the other companies use.

Every city has roads laid out through the entire city that large transports can travel on, even downtown, even Toronto. So that isn't an issue.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2009, 7:26 AM
Capitalist

The location is all about being close to the biggest growth area of the city.

It doesn`t hurt that it also has the highest level of disposible income... Downtown just can`t offer that level of consumer.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 10:24 PM
high expectations

awsome

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 1:43 AM
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
The location is all about being close to the biggest growth area of the city.

It doesn`t hurt that it also has the highest level of disposible income... Downtown just can`t offer that level of consumer.
How about the fact there are about 60 000 office staff that work downtown and make some serious coin $$$$$ (like 80 000 +) plus they all seem to drive to work so dropping by there after work isn't out of the question if it were downtown.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 2:53 AM
The Vomit Bag.

The latest I heard is that IKEA will instead build a store in Flin Flon.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 2:57 AM
high expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
The latest I heard is that IKEA will instead build a store in Flin Flon.

its so funny i forgot to laugh...

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 4:11 AM
I am a typical

Actually, the Ikea is going to anchor the 600,000sqft First Gulf Thunder Bay development in Innova Park.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 5:16 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
How about the fact there are about 60 000 office staff that work downtown and make some serious coin $$$$$ (like 80 000 +) plus they all seem to drive to work so dropping by there after work isn't out of the question if it were downtown.
First of all most people working downtown aren't earning anything near 80,000.

The reality is this type of store is a perfect match for the SUV upper middle-class family. It requires a massive parking lot so people can hual away there unassembeld furniture. Downtown just doesn't offer the suitable location... nor does it have the population to support such a massive store.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 1:06 AM
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
First of all most people working downtown aren't earning anything near 80,000.

The reality is this type of store is a perfect match for the SUV upper middle-class family. It requires a massive parking lot so people can hual away there unassembeld furniture. Downtown just doesn't offer the suitable location... nor does it have the population to support such a massive store.
I am sure the office staff who drive from the suburbs with there benzies and SUVS sure make more than $30 000?

Winniupeg doesn't even have one million people and they still are bringing it here so whats your point about downtown not being a prime location. There will be only one IKEA in this city and everyone will flock to it being wherever it is regardless of its location. The building size can be set up in several stories like the The Bay downtown. Plus IKEA does offer delivery much like the Brick and Dufresne fine furniture.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 5:44 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
I am sure the office staff who drive from the suburbs with there benzies and SUVS sure make more than $30 000?

Winniupeg doesn't even have one million people and they still are bringing it here so whats your point about downtown not being a prime location. There will be only one IKEA in this city and everyone will flock to it being wherever it is regardless of its location. The building size can be set up in several stories like the The Bay downtown. Plus IKEA does offer delivery much like the Brick and Dufresne fine furniture.
I have only been to a few IKEA's ... but of those ones I have noticed some common chartacteristics .... the ablility to handle large amounts of truck traffic, sizable loading bays, built next to a major expressway/freeway, built near newer upper middle income homes and built with a massive customer parking lot.

While I comepletly share you desire to see downtown host a major destination retailer, I am certain that a downtown IKEA would not be a good fit for itself or its customers.

Once you witness the new store in real context I am sure you'll agree.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 6:50 PM
I am a typical

Ikea is just a flashy Walmart that sells mostly furniture. Therefore, massive parking near a freeway in the burbs.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Ikea is just a flashy Walmart that sells mostly furniture.
Uh, no.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 9:33 PM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFS View Post
Uh, no.
Uh, yes. OMG, did you see how I took what you said and flipped it!!11! Sorry, slow day at work.

I haven't been inside an IKEA before, but to offer another analogy, is it JYSK on steroids?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
Uh, yes. OMG, did you see how I took what you said and flipped it!!11! Sorry, slow day at work.

I haven't been inside an IKEA before, but to offer another analogy, is it JYSK on steroids?
uhm, no

http://www.ikea.ca shows you it all

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 11:23 PM
Community Guy

"I haven't been inside an IKEA before"

cute

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 11:33 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePazKStdNPw

Jeremy Hotz says it all...

"I went to Ikea, what a MISERABLE place that is..."

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post

That's okay. I was having a very busy day. That is why my response was only 4 letters and 2 punctuation marks (plus a space thrown in for good measure).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan