HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 1, 2011, 6:40 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Now what exactly is wrong with cosTco?
it has its purpos for large large families and people coming in from the country to do this big shops and such but i duno i just find walking into costco to be so blah i'd rather go to my local community grocery store and get my supplies i can't wait for nichee commons to open!!! nothing beats walking vs having to drive out to suburban hell

Old Posted May 1, 2011, 10:07 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy View Post
Where do you live now?
Back home, in rural Manitoba. I still count myself as a Winnipeger though.

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
it has its purpos for large large families and people coming in from the country to do this big shops and such but i duno i just find walking into costco to be so blah i'd rather go to my local community grocery store and get my supplies i can't wait for nichee commons to open!!! nothing beats walking vs having to drive out to suburban hell
its a waste for single or even a couple

but so cheap for families - I went the other day with my friend and there was really cheap deals but i would end up having to throw a lot of it out cause there is no way i could consume a dozen tomatoes in a couple days for example... and than you buy pork chops for 10 people and you have to go home and wrap em all up to freeze em blah

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 5:01 AM

We go to Costco once or twice a month. Toilet paper, coffee, meat, bread and other things. Cheaper for us there with 5 to feed. Get gas while we're there. Exchange a propane tank once in a while. All cheaper.

Old Posted May 3, 2011, 8:46 PM
What could go wrong?

Quick update - IKEA should start construction Jul or Aug of this year. Design has really picked up.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 5:15 AM
BANNED

Dust's off the old thread, looks like this sucker is actually going to start soon

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...129700638.html

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 10:18 AM

Anybody know the update on weather ikea is in dispute with the city over contaminated ground covered over by concrete in the construction area.

I heard someone mention that before but never got any mention of it in the news.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 49 View Post
Anybody know the update on weather ikea is in dispute with the city over contaminated ground covered over by concrete in the construction area.

I heard someone mention that before but never got any mention of it in the news.
It wasn't quite that simple, but there were some issues; however those are all ironed out, the space is also going to be slightly larger than originally planned, and its going to go ahead soon

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 7:25 PM

Quote:

Are you referring to the dispute with CN?

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...120763234.html

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 7:39 PM

Quote:

Was this why this IKEA has not been started all this time? I remember reading this thread from before I was even a member of SSP! I can't believe it hasn't started construction yet.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 7:39 PM

yeah i think that's what he meant

aiui, that is now settled, they are ready to go, and the final size of the ikea even got pushed up to near 400k sq ft i believe

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 11:26 PM

Yes that is what I meant. Looks like they cleared things up based on the latest news. Sorry i'm not on SSP as much as I would like. Cant respond immediately.

BTW I think the city made a huge mistake by not building that intersection of Sterling Lyon and Kenaston blvd. with an overpass or underpass of some sort.

Traffic is gonna be a bitch once all the retail is completed.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 11:55 PM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:
Yes that is what I meant. Looks like they cleared things up based on the latest news. Sorry i'm not on SSP as much as I would like. Cant respond immediately.

BTW I think the city made a huge mistake by not building that intersection of Sterling Lyon and Kenaston blvd. with an overpass or underpass of some sort.

Traffic is gonna be a bitch once all the retail is completed.
Couldn't agree more. A diamond interchange would've been perfect with route 90 the free-flowing part.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 2:00 AM

Nice! I guess someone's already mentioned this will be the largest one in Canada, too! (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=583 and http://www.ikeafans.com/home/groundb...winnipeg-site/ (... Scroll down the page!))

Now we have to decide: Do I pack up our family SUV with merchandise from Calgary (no GST!), or from Winnipeg (closer!)??!! I guess it could depend also on what businesses are built around the anchor! Calgary's Ikea has a nice, almost one-stop (at least for an out-of-area visitor, like me!) business/restaurant neighbourhood built around it -- although, when we visit another city, we'll tend to explore places all over (Spend! Spend! Spend! )! Win us over, Winnipeg!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 2:23 AM

When it was announced, the Winnipeg IKEA would be the largest in Canada, since then the new IKEA store in Ottawa would be the largest in Canada. Currenly the Ottawa location is one of the smallest in the world.

Scruff, How does Calgary avoid paying GST?. I assume you mean PST

Last edited by trebor204; Sep 14, 2011 at 2:25 AM. Reason: Added another comment

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
When it was announced, the Winnipeg IKEA would be the largest in Canada, since then the new IKEA store in Ottawa would be the largest in Canada. Currenly the Ottawa location is one of the smallest in the world.

Scruff, How does Calgary avoid paying GST?. I assume you mean PST
Oops! Thanks! You're correct! 'My bad! Is Ottawa's larger still, after they biggie-sized Winnipeg's from 350k to 395k S.F. (from the above-mentioned WFP article)? I didn't get to review any specs for Ottawa's IKEA yet!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 3:57 AM

the current ottawa ikea is a dump, you feel like a mouse in a maze racing against thousands of other rodents lol the new one is mind boggling though, it is huge, if winnipegs is somewhat similar in size it will also be quite a hefty store

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 8:30 AM

Umm ... Did a quick Google search, and found that Ottawa's IKEA will expand to 37k square metres (398.3k sf), ever slightly larger than Winnipeg's 395k sf -- essentially the same size! Meanwhile, Richmond's IKEA (Vancouver) will expand to 32k s.m., which was Winnipeg's original size!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 8:40 AM

they probably have designed bigger restaurants so everyone can eat their meatballs at a table... or their cheap hot dogs without having to stand up

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
they probably have designed bigger restaurants so everyone can eat their meatballs at a table... or their cheap hot dogs without having to stand up
Love me some cheap Ikea hotdogs. I've only been to the one in Minneapolis. Are they equally cheap in Canada?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan