HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 3:01 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Love me some cheap Ikea hotdogs. I've only been to the one in Minneapolis. Are they equally cheap in Canada?
50 cents each in Calgary.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 3:05 PM

believe they are like a buck a pop for hot dogs, i won't lie i have pulled off the queensway in ottawa just to go get lunch at the ikea,

anyways interesting how big the one in winnipeg is guess they are really trying to draw outsiders to shop there

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 3:12 PM

... Like me!

Cheap food! Here I come! ... Oh! They sell other things, too!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 6:07 PM

its $2 for two hot dogs and 1 one pop - at least here in BC

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 6:13 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpenner View Post
believe they are like a buck a pop for hot dogs, i won't lie i have pulled off the queensway in ottawa just to go get lunch at the ikea,

anyways interesting how big the one in winnipeg is guess they are really trying to draw outsiders to shop there
Winnipeg appears to be setting itself up to become a major shopping hub for all of Manitoba, most of Saskatchewan, Northwestern Ontario, North Dakota and northern Minnesota. With the addition of the Outlet Mall that is going to be built in the city in a few years as well, the city will definately be able to compete for customers for miles around.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy View Post
Winnipeg appears to be setting itself up to become a major shopping hub for all of Manitoba, most of Saskatchewan, Northwestern Ontario, North Dakota and northern Minnesota. With the addition of the Outlet Mall that is going to be built in the city in a few years as well, the city will definately be able to compete for customers for miles around.
Agreed, except I would suggest its more Northern ND as well, since Minneapolis is just as close to Fargo as Fargo is to Winnipeg as well, plus they won't have to worry about crossing the border or exchanging their money. With Saskatchewan, I wouldn't say most; I'd say whatever is realistically closest to Winnipeg. I believe Regina is closer to Winnipeg than Calgary, but I am certain Saskatoon is closer to Edmonton than it is to Winnipeg.

But your point ultimately stands; it will be a major shopping hub, serving a million plus people easily.

That IKEA is gonna be biiiiiig business.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Was this why this IKEA has not been started all this time? I remember reading this thread from before I was even a member of SSP! I can't believe it hasn't started construction yet.
Pretty much, yeah, it was held up due to this dispute

It sucks timeline-wise...

...but on the plus side, the IKEA is now gonna be much bigger than originally anticipated. Second in size only to Ottawa's new one, in the country, which - as an aside - I think has more to do with the "population it will serve" versus supplying just Winnipeg's needs

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 8:00 PM

^ Ok, interesting. I actually thought it was already under construction for at least a year already, so I was surprised. Don't expect Ottawa to hold that title for long either, each new IKEA just gets bigger and bigger. At one time the Port Coquitlam (or Richmond) one was the largest, another time the Edmonton one, etc.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 8:17 PM
The Vomit Bag.

still on the radar? amazing thread longevity.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
^ Ok, interesting. I actually thought it was already under construction for at least a year already, so I was surprised. Don't expect Ottawa to hold that title for long either, each new IKEA just gets bigger and bigger. At one time the Port Coquitlam (or Richmond) one was the largest, another time the Edmonton one, etc.
hmm well I think what you might have thought, is the current supplemental construction that's still going on; they did start expanding a bunch of these roads (lane expansion - 4 to 6 - on Kenaston, and turning the Sterling Lyon expressway from a 2 laner to a 4 laner, with more Traffic lights *yuck*)

This roadwork is technically part of the IKEA and surrounding mall construction plan, and this did start over a year ago, so this might be what you were thinking of

Old Posted Sep 15, 2011, 6:03 AM

Yum. Discount meat!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 2:08 PM

Some older images of the proposed Seasons of Tuxedo development, near Ikea. Is there anything newer out there?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 2:49 PM

@ Authentic City, not that I've seen...there probably won't be updated drawings of the supplemental work until after the IKEA has at least started going under construction

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 7:22 AM

Went by the IKEA site today, and they have a fews pillars up.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 4:20 PM

IKEA hires Winnipeg Manager

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...146946295.html

- Stephen Bobko new manager
- Construction still on schedule
- Opening late November or Early December
- Staff of around 400, hiring starts this Summer

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
That IKEA is gonna be biiiiiig business.
Its also going to be a biiiiiig traffic generator. I'm not talking about the car congestion problem, but rather, a magnet for people / shoppers, whether it be from within the city, from around the Province, or yes, even from NW Ontario or Saskatchewan or North Dakota.

Hence why the whole Seasons of Tuxedo development is hugely attractive to retailers that aren't presently in the city. Why wouldn't a business want to mooch off of IKEA's traffic?

(And why Asper's 'The Elms' project was dead in the water from day one: he never had something on the order of 'IKEA' lined up).

As much as some people despise IKEA, you have to admit that large brand names draw crowds, and other brands will want to locate near that traffic.

Lets just hope that what happens here compliments what we have going on downtown, around the MTS Centre, Exchange district, and doesn't hurt it. Quite frankly, it shouldn't because we're putting housing in the Exchange, which should draw people, businesses, and after-hours life to that area (please something be open on a sunday). The SHED area is spoken for. Bars and Restaurants and Hotels. Done. Throw in the convention centre expansion to that mix...

Go Jets?
Go Winnipeg!

Last edited by Mininari; Apr 12, 2012 at 2:31 AM. Reason: D'oh; NE changed to NW

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 11:01 PM
I am a typical

People in NE Ontario will go to the Ikea in Ottawa. But NW Ontarians are excited about it. At least the 7 who know.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 4:31 PM

The blue IKEA walls are starting to go up on the west side of the building.
This thing is starting to look like an IKEA.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 5:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
People in NE Ontario will go to the Ikea in Ottawa. But NW Ontarians are excited about it. At least the 7 who know.
Don't get it Vid, 9 hours to Winnipeg on a crappy two lane highway or 6.5 to the twin cities and cheap hot dogs IKEA style.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Don't get it Vid, 9 hours to Winnipeg on a crappy two lane highway or 6.5 to the twin cities and cheap hot dogs IKEA style.
I can make it to the Peg in 7 hours from TBay... but more importantly I don't need my passport or have to worry about the restrictions on what I can bring back home with me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan