HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 3:47 AM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
That part pisses me off alot. Got lost in the Calgary one WAY too many times...

Only place I figured out was the cafeteria, and even the microwaves we're like searching for needles in a haystack...
So Amaze-in-Corn is going to have some competition with the Amaze-in Ikea

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
I think the IKEA hotdogs are 49 cents each.

$1.99 gets you 2 hotdogs and a pop.
hot dogs are 75 cents each at IKEA but you can get the combo and get two hot dogs and 1 pop for $1.50 + tax

pic by me

they also have a 99 cent breakfast which is pretty good

as for getting lost - IKEA has giant arrows on the floor of which way to walk - once you have been and you know what section you want you can figure out the shortcuts - most of the time i go i bypass the furniture floor and walk straight into the marketplace on the main level, they usually orient the stores to make you go up to the furniture level though, the entrance to the marketplace is behind doors somewhere near the escalator

Last edited by SpongeG; May 17, 2012 at 8:49 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 10:46 PM
I am a typical

Why didn't they give the food clever names? I would be more willing to make a trip out there to get a hot dog if they called it VARMKORV.

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 10:48 PM

you can buy swedish food in the food shop

they sell ABBA

among other things

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 3:28 AM
Dynamic Positivity!

The IKEA sweet oat crisps (KAKOR HAVREFLARN) are what you need to stay away from.

I could destroy a box of these in minutes.

Old Posted May 19, 2012, 9:41 PM
I am a typical

See, HAVREFLARN is really something I could dig into. "Sweet Oat Crisps"? Not so much.

Old Posted May 19, 2012, 11:03 PM

So vid, you coming to Winnipeg when the new IKEA opens or what?

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 12:01 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

he gets in on the 9th

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 12:17 AM

So is that the settled SSP Date then? Have we decided on a location?

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 3:18 AM
I am a typical

When does it open?

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 11:17 AM

I heard late November/early December.

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 8:25 PM
GQMF

I can't wait. I've been to several Ikea stores in Canada and the States. It sucks leaving the store empty handed.

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 1:46 AM

Some Construction Pictures:
Got some pictures, while on the bus today. They got part of the yellow wall up.

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
Why is there an intersection here? It's 200 ft from the main oversized Sterlying Lyon and Kenaston intersection. Why does the city put lights so close to each other?

The new lights on Lag and CP Trail have caused gridlock on Grasssie and Springfield at peak times. I can't wait to see how awful this is going to be...

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 1:54 PM
I am a typical

Haha, I have a theory:

"We in Winnipeg feel it is acceptable to place traffic lights so close together because it is done in Thunder Bay."

"We in Thunder Bay feel it is acceptable to place traffic lights so close together because it is done in Winnipeg."

"We in Winnipeg feel it is acceptable to place traffic lights so close together because it is done in Thunder Bay."

"We in Thunder Bay feel it is acceptable to place traffic lights so close together because it is done in Winnipeg."

At least your expressway has less than 1.35 lighted intersections per kilometre of road.

Oh! Between the entrance to IKEA and the Sterling Lyon/Kenaston intersection will be a controlled pedestrian crossing, because they need choices too.

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 4:27 AM

we have a few roads here with traffic lights with only a block in between - its gets pretty annoying, the traffic often backs up into the intersection making it even worse when the light changes

as to IKEA - it doesn't have understore parking? just surrounded by surface parking?

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
we have a few roads here with traffic lights with only a block in between - its gets pretty annoying, the traffic often backs up into the intersection making it even worse when the light changes

as to IKEA - it doesn't have understore parking? just surrounded by surface parking?
A few??? 8
Geez, I have to say, thanks for chiming in here. I don't think people here in Winnipeg realize how lucky they are to not have a traffic light at EVERY intersection along major routes like there is in places in the GVRD. The funny thing is how the worst ones are always in the suburbs.

Coquitlam:
Johnson/Mariner - Pinetree / Lougheed - Westwood / Lougheed - Shaughnessy / Lougheed, anon... you're guaranteed to get stuck at more than one of those. I can't believe how many lights there are now along Lougheed in Poco. I couldn't get over how long it was taking me to get around town, even during the middle of the day when I was there for Christmas. King George Boulevard (formerly King George Highway) in Surrey is another terrific example.

The area in front of the Coquitlam IKEA isn't too much better. I was watching the Transportation forums and city of Coquitlam website for YEARS, waiting for the much-needed upgrades at Brunette and Lougheed. By the time they finally happened, my workplace had moved to Port Coquitlam. Fortunately I could use kingsway to bypass the first example I provided, but now it appears to be succumbing to be "lit up" just like the rest of 'em.

I guess the closest comparison here would be route 90 between Taylor and Academy. It can certainly be bad during rush hour, but its a 4-lane route thats outgrown its current design capacity (long ago). The addition of IKEA traffic won't help matters for the route on weekends.

As for the understore parking, no, I think part of the reason for that at the Coquitlam store is due to the constrained nature of the lot the IKEA was built on -- that store fills nearly the entire lot. The piece of land they're building the IKEA on here is quite large, and makes for a nice (yuck) sprawly massive parking lot, that always has redevelopment potential (e.g. adding big box stores in the middle of it, along with more drive thrus).

Oh, one more fun bit for Winnipeg to compare it... Seasons of Tuxedo / IKEA traffic "nightmare" : Meet, Queensborough Landing in New Westminster.
Lets build a big-box, power shopping centre right beside a busy bridge that terminates a chronically congested freeway in a local road network in a city that refuses any road upgrades (New Westminster).
What were they thinking???????

At least that development resulted in the developer chipping in for a diamond interchange on highway 91...

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 4:51 PM
What could go wrong?

Just a construction update, it looks as though they have just completed the structural steel for the complete perimeter of the building. You can now get an idea of its size as it is framed all the way around.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
A few??? 8
Geez, I have to say, thanks for chiming in here. I don't think people here in Winnipeg realize how lucky they are to not have a traffic light at EVERY intersection along major routes like there is in places in the GVRD. The funny thing is how the worst ones are always in the suburbs.

Coquitlam:
Johnson/Mariner - Pinetree / Lougheed - Westwood / Lougheed - Shaughnessy / Lougheed, anon... you're guaranteed to get stuck at more than one of those. I can't believe how many lights there are now along Lougheed in Poco. I couldn't get over how long it was taking me to get around town, even during the middle of the day when I was there for Christmas. King George Boulevard (formerly King George Highway) in Surrey is another terrific example.

The area in front of the Coquitlam IKEA isn't too much better. I was watching the Transportation forums and city of Coquitlam website for YEARS, waiting for the much-needed upgrades at Brunette and Lougheed. By the time they finally happened, my workplace had moved to Port Coquitlam. Fortunately I could use kingsway to bypass the first example I provided, but now it appears to be succumbing to be "lit up" just like the rest of 'em.

I guess the closest comparison here would be route 90 between Taylor and Academy. It can certainly be bad during rush hour, but its a 4-lane route thats outgrown its current design capacity (long ago). The addition of IKEA traffic won't help matters for the route on weekends.

As for the understore parking, no, I think part of the reason for that at the Coquitlam store is due to the constrained nature of the lot the IKEA was built on -- that store fills nearly the entire lot. The piece of land they're building the IKEA on here is quite large, and makes for a nice (yuck) sprawly massive parking lot, that always has redevelopment potential (e.g. adding big box stores in the middle of it, along with more drive thrus).

Oh, one more fun bit for Winnipeg to compare it... Seasons of Tuxedo / IKEA traffic "nightmare" : Meet, Queensborough Landing in New Westminster.
Lets build a big-box, power shopping centre right beside a busy bridge that terminates a chronically congested freeway in a local road network in a city that refuses any road upgrades (New Westminster).
What were they thinking???????

At least that development resulted in the developer chipping in for a diamond interchange on highway 91...
yah - north road and coquitlam is horrible for traffic lights - hate it

back to IKEA - underground parking seems to be the thing for most stores now though - the new one in Ottawa has it, the new one in richmond has it - both previously had surface parking, the one i went to in san francisco also had the store over parking design

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 11:40 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Haha, I have a theory:

At least your expressway has less than 1.35 lighted intersections per kilometre of road.

Oh! Between the entrance to IKEA and the Sterling Lyon/Kenaston intersection will be a controlled pedestrian crossing, because they need choices too.
Kenaston is going to be so screwed lol. Good thing I never use it

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan