HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 5:07 PM
What could go wrong?

Some tenants i believe in the Seasons of Tuxedo south development:

IKEA
Cabela's
Lowes
Shell gas station and C Store
Mr Lube
Dairy Queen
Harvey's
Rogers
Nutrition House
Thai Express
Booster Juice
Montana's
Assinboine Credit Union
Subway
Pita Pit
IHOP
National Bank
Structube
Dollarama
Bouclair
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post

IKEA
Cabela's
Lowes
Mr Lube
Dairy Queen
Harvey's
Rogers
Nutrition House
Thai Express
Booster Juice
Montana's
Assinboine Credit Union
Subway
Pita Pit
IHOP
National Bank
Structube
Dollarama
Bouclair
I think you've just come up with the development's new slogan

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 7:38 PM

Quote:

IKEA
Cabela's
Lowes
Mr Lube
Dairy Queen
Harvey's
Rogers
Nutrition House
Thai Express
Booster Juice
Montana's
Assinboine Credit Union
Subway
Pita Pit
IHOP
National Bank
Structube
Dollarama
Bouclair
Is this a guess, or have you pieced this together from various sources? How about Wild Wings (or Buffalo Wild Wilds; damn their similar names).

IHOP, really? That would be great... Winnipeg could use a few more selections in the large-chain family breakfast-themed places. Either that, or another Pancake house location... or maybe Country Kitchen (signage for that in Steinbach and Headingley... I emailed them to ask when they're opening, but they replied saying they're looking for franchisees).

Oh and just to beat on the waterpark-beside-IKEA concept a bit more, my wife said to me yesterday she thinks that they should build a world-class waterpark beside IKEA and make it a 1-2 family attraction to draw people in to visit Winnipeg... Build a nice hotel or two along side it. Of course, she doesn't follow developments at all, (thought Seasons of Tuxedo was a condo development)...thus, didn't know this rumour already circulated.

But, she's absolutely right; the one-two punch of IKEA and a world-class waterpark would co-function as a major draw for the city. She went as far to suggest IKEA would co-develop the waterpark, but I don't think they're really in the waterpark business... (nor would I want to go down a 100ft slide that was assembled with an allen key!).

Not surprisingly, it appears that a long list of tenants are already signed up (or wanting to sign up) to operate near IKEA.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 7:46 PM
the first stamp is free

^ IHOP would be cool, except I envision massive chaos in this area, and weekend breakfasts would be lined up for hours!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ IHOP would be cool, except I envision massive chaos in this area, and weekend breakfasts would be lined up for hours!
If it takes a little pressure off the Polo Park Pancake House, then its all good by me

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 7:55 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Is this a guess, or have you pieced this together from various sources?

Saw a site plan with these names on it. I said "believe" because i can't confirm if any of the leases are final or not.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Saw a site plan with these names on it. I said "believe" because i can't confirm if any of the leases are final or not.
This must be it?
I just found this on John Dobbin's Blog:
http://johndobbin.blogspot.ca/2012/0...view-ihop.html

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 8:00 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Seems pretty lacklustre.

I guess it will just be another generic power center after all.

Not sure why people get so excited about IHOP. Last time I was there I figured IHOP should stand for "I Have Over Paid". Just another version of Denny's or Perkins IMO.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 8:13 PM

Are parkades a figmint of my imagination?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
The surface area devoted to parking in that diagram is immense. It must be 70% parking.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Why would they build a parkade for? There are literally dozens of acres of land there for surface parking...

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 8:47 PM
BANNED

some advice from Sweden

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 8:47 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
This must be it?
I just found this on John Dobbin's Blog:
http://johndobbin.blogspot.ca/2012/0...view-ihop.html
That is the same site plan i saw. I saw that video today as well. Figured if there is a video out it is ok to say what you know.

...from what i understand the north side is supposed to have all of the new to Winnipeg retailers. I don't know any of them yet.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 8:56 PM

Quote:
That is the same site plan i saw. I saw that video today as well. Figured if there is a video out it is ok to say what you know.

...from what i understand the north side is supposed to have all of the new to Winnipeg retailers. I don't know any of them yet.
Thanks for alerting me to the fact a site plan was out there.
Yeah, the North plan is going to be a very interesting one to see. I wonder if they're still on target timewise for that, or if they might be bumping up the construction date. They seem to be just chugging along with the south side construction.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Why would they build a parkade for? There are literally dozens of acres of land there for surface parking...
Please tell me that was sarcasm...

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 9:34 PM

Video Link

What ever happened to the original concept for this development. I agree with Hotwired. This has just turned into another generic power centre.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 10:06 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Video Link

What ever happened to the original concept for this development. I agree with Hotwired. This has just turned into another generic power centre.
That original video was for the north side only, If I remember right.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Please tell me that was sarcasm...
Nope. I'm not sure why you're advocating for a parkade there? Downtown/Exchange/Infill Tower in Osborne Village, of course! But this is a big box development on cheap, greenfield land. What would be the advantage of a parkade? More land available for... Other big box stores? If there is enough land available to meet the parking requirements, what would be the incentive (or even purpose) of paying exponentially more for a parkade? Sorry, I don't follow...

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 10:31 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Nope. I'm not sure why you're advocating for a parkade there? Downtown/Exchange/Infill Tower in Osborne Village, of course! But this is a big box development on cheap, greenfield land. What would be the advantage of a parkade? More land available for... Other big box stores? If there is enough land available to meet the parking requirements, what would be the incentive (or even purpose) of paying exponentially more for a parkade? Sorry, I don't follow...
A knee-jerk reaction to the mention of surface parking . I can understand why people would have such a reaction but I also see what you're saying and it's a good point .

Nobody likes to see surface parking but one of the reasons for a parkade would indeed be to reduce the amount of undevelopable land I would assume .
It's probably worth pointing out too that Ikea is a bit of a community-conscious outfit . They may well consider a parkade as being part of being a good neighbor .

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
If you are looking at it from a strictly financial standpoint, than your statement is completely valid. However this development is supposed to be the catalyst to Winnipeg's future growth/identity.

Do we really want to postmark that with un-sustainability? I personally don't think so. Especially when contrasting the current plan with what we were originally promised.

And an answer to your question would be

a) Tax Revenue from future stores
b) Higher Density
c) More green space for other potential developments (which could potentially include mid-highrise residential developments).
d) Most importantly; keeping true to the original promise of a world-class, sustainable development.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan