HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 22, 2016, 4:02 PM
the first stamp is free

^ but more importantly, what happened to the giant IKEA sign in the sky?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2016, 4:12 PM

^ Good question, it's been down for a long time. How very un-IKEA like of them.

BTW, this thread is gold... I love trueviking's prophetic words from November 2008:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
if we get an ikea, then for sure the jets are coming back....

Old Posted Jan 22, 2016, 4:53 PM

Think it was reported that stability issues where found in the sign and that it was taken down while it undergoes reengineering. I suspect it means the sign was not well designed to withstand the freezing cold and strong winds.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 12:39 AM

http://www.chrisd.ca/2015/11/04/ikea.../#.VqLLbyorLIU
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ but more importantly, what happened to the giant IKEA sign in the sky?
“We are currently reviewing prototypes and will move into production and approvals before it’s installed in the original location by Spring 2016,” a spokesperson said in a statement.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 6:16 PM

I think the most interesting part of that article is the fact Ikea wants to be energy independent by 2020. That's crazy, and amazing. I hope it forces some other retailers to follow in their path.

I have a friend that works for a smart energy tech company in Boston, and he got Canadian Tire as a client and they have signed on to replace all their lighting with LEDs in all stores across Canada.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 5:05 PM

Being "energy independent" is something that large warehouses, even outside the retail space, should be actively working towards and Hydro would be smart to start backing that. If Hydro can reduce the demand locally that increases the amount of power they have to export without needing to spend millions building new generation stations. It is a lower profile and smaller scale approach but it is one that could have a huge win. The biggest drawback is that if the energy independent movement takes hold it could end up lowering demand for Hydro exports.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Being "energy independent" is something that large warehouses, even outside the retail space, should be actively working towards and Hydro would be smart to start backing that. If Hydro can reduce the demand locally that increases the amount of power they have to export without needing to spend millions building new generation stations. It is a lower profile and smaller scale approach but it is one that could have a huge win. The biggest drawback is that if the energy independent movement takes hold it could end up lowering demand for Hydro exports.
True, but then like you said it could also erase the need for more generating stations haha.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 3:51 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Think it was reported that stability issues where found in the sign and that it was taken down while it undergoes reengineering. I suspect it means the sign was not well designed to withstand the freezing cold and strong winds.
Then how is the one in Edmonton holding up?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 6:57 PM

I don't know. Maybe the soil conditions are different and winds we're causing it to lean.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan