HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 2:58 AM

Freeport-McMoRan Center (One Central Park East) - Phoenix, AZ

On to another project...I did a search on the city's permit site and there's quite a bit of stuff on Central Park East, with some items being addresses as recently as 01/08/07.

1ST COMMENTS REVIEW: PRE-APP
BY: Shilpa Panicker DATE: 1/8/07 ACTION: PR 2-C

Development/Design Discussion:

Water and Sewer :

30" waterline relocation will be required for the length of the building frontage; the remainder of first street will be retained as a water easement.
12" water line will be required in Polk.
12" waterline will be required in Central
10" sewerline extension will be done in Van Buren.

Traffic :

Dedications will be required along street corners, as per traffic engineer's report.

Site :
Screening of all parking facing street, using landscape or 3' high wall, in either case details are required.
Screening of all loading, off-loading operations will be required; details for the same are required.
Temporary landscape area adjacent to Central, details required : plan, landscape plan, lighting plan, accessibility plan, hardscape /materials details, 3-d block views establishing how this area will be an enhancement to the adjacent light rail corridor.
Elevations: Please specify colors, materials, provide materials board at preliminary. 3-d model for elevation is required.
Provide updated list of stipulations from the Water and Sewer Dept, coordinate with Abandonment coordinator.
Provide a schedule for completion of all required stipulations and for the ones that might take time also provide status reports on a continuous basis, till completed.
Variances :
1. Variance to increase the build to line to _72__' to the outside edge of the building, along Central. 8' build to line required in DC, Section 643.E.2.b (1).
2. Variance to increase the build to line to _165'__' to the outside edge of the building, along Polk. 8' build to line required in DC. Section 643.E.2.b (1).
3. Variance to increase the build to line to _38__' for the 1st floor and second floor, along 1st street. 20' build to setback from the back of curb required. Section 643.E.2.b (1).
4. Variance to reduce the setback to an average of 40' from the back of curb 1st and second floor, along Van Buren. Section 643.E.2.b (1).
5. Variance to eliminate the requirement of at least 60% of the building front shall be located within 15' of the front property line. Section 643.E.2.b(4)
Development Process Discussion:

Once an updated copy of stipulations is submitted, duly signed off by DDO, Water and Sewer and the abandonment coordinator, a preliminary submittal may be made.
A Landscape inventory combo plan has to be submitted.
FAA approval has to be sought before preliminary approval.
The letter of approval to be provided by the City Archaeologist.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2007, 3:40 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
I've been meaning to ask, does anyone know anything about this lot:

Its the one just north of the Chase Tower. Does ASU own it? I really hope something is proposed for there (or will go there eventually), being next to the tallest building in the state, next to the bus station, and just south of ASU downtown, it seems like it would be a highly desirable spot. Its a shame a surface lot is there. A nice tower there would really help fill out the skyline.

EDIT: Ah, cool thanks HX_Guy. I've got the memory of a 95 year old man, so I can never remember what is going where. Now Ill ask a follow up question (open to anyone)- what the hell is with the name "Central Park East"? It doesn't seem to fit the location.

Last edited by HooverDam; Jan 24, 2007 at 4:36 AM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 6:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
I've been meaning to ask, does anyone know anything about this lot:

Its the one just north of the Chase Tower. Does ASU own it? I really hope something is proposed for there (or will go there eventually), being next to the tallest building in the state, next to the bus station, and just south of ASU downtown, it seems like it would be a highly desirable spot. Its a shame a surface lot is there. A nice tower there would really help fill out the skyline.

EDIT: Ah, cool thanks HX_Guy. I've got the memory of a 95 year old man, so I can never remember what is going where. Now Ill ask a follow up question (open to anyone)- what the hell is with the name "Central Park East"? It doesn't seem to fit the location.

dude im with you on that one! Seriously there are a BUTT LOAD of just random parking lots and like, A THOUAAND of dirt lots in the downtown Phoenix area. Go to to the crossroads of "E. Garfield St." and "N 4th Street" that wole area there has a bunch of great lots for building some awesome highrises (hotels, buisnesss, studio apartments, and condose, ect...) I just dont get WHY they dont build something there. A cool project could be something similar to the space needle thing in Las Vages with the rides on top and everything. oh only in my head this stuff would prob. exist haha..sad face

Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmperre@gmail.co View Post
dude im with you on that one! Seriously there are a BUTT LOAD of just random parking lots and like, A THOUAAND of dirt lots in the downtown Phoenix area. Go to to the crossroads of "E. Garfield St." and "N 4th Street" that wole area there has a bunch of great lots for building some awesome highrises (hotels, buisnesss, studio apartments, and condose, ect...) I just dont get WHY they dont build something there. A cool project could be something similar to the space needle thing in Las Vages with the rides on top and everything. oh only in my head this stuff would prob. exist haha..sad face
There's already a 26 story office/hotel building there. I don't know how many times you go downtown but yeah there's a 300' foot wall of glass and steel there now.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2007, 4:06 AM

Have you heard of Central Park East? You found it's location.

That is where Central Park East was supposed to go, which was supposed to have ASU classrooms, office space, and residential. It was supposed to be 475' in height. Plans fell through but something is still in the works.
Looking at the permits issued for the project, the latest issued on 01/19/07 is

Permit# ENVR-070015 Description/Scope of Work:SLOPE/INVENTORY
DESCRIPTION OF WORK: INV/SAL

If anyone has any idea what that means, I'd love to know.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 6:07 AM
Closed account

any new update pics for this forum or is this thread officially old school

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 1:16 AM

It's old school... however, i did just notice some up-lights on the corners of the 2nd floor, probably to light up all the way to the top of the parking podium. So that will at least be cool.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 4:36 PM
BANNED

I noticed they planted trees along the west side of the building this week.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 9:00 PM

I think this is a shell building, or whatever it's called. So, a tenant has to install their own improvements on the floors they want to lease. It seems like if and announcement is immenent, or even if someone signs a lease, it will still be a while as they have to install all of their own stuff on their floors.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 7:51 PM

Old Posted Sep 28, 2009, 8:10 AM

I have a feeling being surrounded by Chase Tower's moat, an ugly garage, a nondescript windowless building, an old broken down motel, a student dorm, a parking lot and our crappy central station isn't doing a lot for its desirability; even though it's a great building.

I forget, is there retail space in CPE?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2009, 3:59 PM
BANNED

I don't remember if there is retail space but it doesn't appear that way.

Some people are probably in a real panic about this right now...

Old Posted Sep 28, 2009, 4:26 PM
BANNED

I've never liked the design of this building. But look at that awesome surface parking lot they're building on the north side! They managed to plant 6 trees on three islands! Way to build smart, while keeping the UHI effect in mind.

About the design, the parking garage is hideous. But it does offer a way for office workers to have ZERO interaction with dangerous DT residents and pedestrians. Just drive on in, take the elevator to your cubicle, you don't even have to see sunlight. Just a lil sarcasm.

I would love to see Phoenix have a DT development that fully embraces our LR system. OCPE, while nice to have something replace a surface parking lot is nothing more than a surburban oriented development.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2009, 4:33 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
I've never liked the design of this building. But look at that awesome surface parking lot they're building on the north side! They managed to plant 6 trees on three islands! Way to build smart, while keeping the UHI effect in mind.

About the design, the parking garage is hideous. But it does offer a way for office workers to have ZERO interaction with dangerous DT residents and pedestrians. Just drive on in, take the elevator to your cubicle, you don't even have to see sunlight. Just a lil sarcasm.

I would love to see Phoenix have a DT development that fully embraces our LR system. OCPE, while nice to have something replace a surface parking lot is nothing more than a surburban oriented development.
That garage interaction is a fundamental aspect with practically every office building in downtown save for 1 & 2 Arizona Center.

The parking lot won't last in theory. Future phases are still slated for it. And i can hardly call it suburban given its height and ground-floor retail.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2009, 4:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
That garage interaction is a fundamental aspect with practically every office building in downtown save for 1 & 2 Arizona Center.

The parking lot won't last in theory.
And here in lies the problem with DT Phoenix. As long as we keep aiding the use of automobiles, how do we ever expect DT to become an urban metropolis. If our DT makes it easy for cars, why would anyone walk or ride public transit anywhere? Why walk 5 blocks for lunch, when one could drive to a restaurant with free parking?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2009, 8:07 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
And here in lies the problem with DT Phoenix. As long as we keep aiding the use of automobiles, how do we ever expect DT to become an urban metropolis. If our DT makes it easy for cars, why would anyone walk or ride public transit anywhere? Why walk 5 blocks for lunch, when one could drive to a restaurant with free parking?
I don't really know of a downtown that doesn't work this way. New development, especially office towers, is going to come with a boatload of parking anywhere.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2009, 6:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post

The parking lot won't last in theory. Future phases are still slated for it. And i can hardly call it suburban given its height and ground-floor retail.
Both of the Arizona Center buildings have a garage.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2009, 8:06 PM
Skyriser

^ yes, but it's not directly attached to the tower and there is some space en route for people to mingle, unlike BofA, Renaissance, Chase Tower, US Bank, etc.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 8:17 AM

I don't get why they didn't create a bigger setback on Van Buren for some better landscaping and how about a water element on Van Buren and Central. Drought or not Phoenix needs to devise ways to use recycled water, gray water for fountains, or whatever, as just seeing water moving makes you feel cooler.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2009, 9:03 PM
BANNED

uhm, wrong.

They each have an underground parking garage. 1 is accessible from van buren and 2 is accessible from 5th street.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest