HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 12:29 AM
Engineer

If I'm not mistaken, the Jazz so far have had the second hardest schedule in the NBA after the Bulls, according to John Hollinger, and the schedule for their last ten has been THE hardest. I think the hardest is behind them for a while. I wouldn't be surprised to see them win the rest of their December games, even though most are away games.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 2:58 AM
Stay Thirsty.

I'm watching another season where the Thuggets are going to the playoffs, and then will collapse in the first round because:

A) We will lose bratty Melo to New York in late February and thus our best offensive scorer for any playoff push.

B) Billups will lose his importance and skill as he ages we will begin to lose our leadership for the team.

C) K-mart and J.R. never actually have been good at being team players. They score (when K-mart isn't hurt and JR hits threes), and then get into some stupid trouble and get suspended for a few games.

It's really gonna suck to be a Thuggets fan in about 3 months. It may be a tough next few years as we lose our best players. We may be doing fine now, but the team is going to fall apart after this season, IMO. Maybe before.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 9:57 PM

Yeah, the Nuggets are gonna have a tough season, but you never know. Everyone counted the Jazz out with Boozer, Korver, and Matthews leaving, and I think the Jazz are actually better this season without them. (Maybe we miss Matthews) Losing Melo may help the team, which is why I think it would be best for Denver to send him NY for a trade exception, before he can walk away for nothing.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2011, 7:08 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Ok, the Jazz suck again, but what else is new.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 6:53 AM

Tis true, and yes it is frustrating. However, a few years back the ailing Houston Rockets went on a spontaneous 22 game win streak, which put them in the playoffs against the Jazz (who then beat them).

The season just barely passed the halfway mark, so there is still hope. The season is not over yet. Every time things look bleak I just remind myself of the 2004 ALCS between the Yankees and Red Sox.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 7:26 PM

Yup, a six-game losing streak is ugly for the Jazz, but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it's over. I was at the game last night (spurs/Jazz) and it was a great game. Deron Williams and Al Jefferson played off the hook! They combined for 61 points, 11 assists, and 13 rebounds. In other words, they accounted for half the team's points, half the team's assists, and a third of the teams rebounds. They were fantastic. That duo works like clock work now. But they need help. Of course, AK, CJ and Millsap are always going to be contributors, but Raja Bell is a bust, and Memo is looking like he's never really going to be back to form either. And let's be honest, Ronnie Price has never been an NBA calliber player.
I think Jeremy Evans and Gordon Hayward deserve those minutes. Yes, they're going to make mistakes, but honestly, they can't hurt us any more than Bell and Okur do at this point. At least they'll score, and here's the deal from last night. If the Jazz hadn't tanked in the second quarter when the second unit was in, we'd have beat the Spurs. The Spurs won the game on a 17-0 run in the second quarter when the Jazz second unit simply couldn't score. Sit Price. Sit Bell. Play Hayward. Because D-will and Jefferson need some help.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 8:39 PM
Bring out the cranes...

I'm gonna go out on a limb here as well and say that come summer 2012 D-Will is out of here. He's not going to stick around for the Jazz if Kevin O'Connor isn't willing to give him help. And I mean real help. Fact is the Jazz must make a trade and I mean NOW!!! However Kevin O'Connor is probably right now playing the 6th hole of 18 with his buddies.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 7:29 PM

Jerry Sloan is retiring.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 8:47 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Report: Utah coach Sloan to resign today

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/02/10/s...s=iref:nbahpt1

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 9:06 PM

I have seen reports from people close to the situation and the reason the resignations happened was because Sloan and D-Will got into a big argument after the game.

Sloan has stated many times in the past that if he wasn't able to coach effectively, he would resign immediately. It sounds like this is what happened. If a player won't respect a coach, one of the 2 will go.

I am sad to hear that he is leaving. I have met and talked with him a few times. He is an honest guy and is very old school with regards to his interactions with people. I feel he will be sorely missed.

Now, who will replace him? Any guesses prior to the news conference?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 9:37 PM
Engineer

Well for now, looks like it's Corbin. I don't have any guesses for the long term, though. You know, this whole season, my respect for Deron Williams has been going down. He's kind of a punk, and really negative in his interviews. I'm sure he'll be gone in 2012. I kind of hope he does go. . .and that the Jazz draft JIMMER!!!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 10:35 PM

I've heard a number of rumors, all coming from sources "close to so-and-so" and none of them confirmed true. I've heard that he and Deron are butting heads. I've heard that O'Connor wanted to trade Ak for someone who refuses to come to Utah if Sloan is there. I've heard that O'Connor and Miller wanted him gone and offerred him resignation so that he wouldn't be "fired."

I've always liked Sloan and admired his unbreakable quality, but in all honesty, I do feel that his coaching methods have become dated, that he hasn't adapted to the current play of the NBA, and for this reason, I don't begrudge D-Will his concern. However, I don't like seeing Sloan leave like this. He deserves much better after all he's given the organization, and I feel that even if players were disatisfied, mutiny is not a good choice. We'll see what happens. I just hope it's not as ugly as all the rumors are suggesting, but I guess given the nature of it all, it probably is something undesirable.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 10:36 PM

As to Jimmers, I'm sure you were just joking, because there's no way he's coming to the Jazz. He'll go early in the draft.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 12:17 AM
Engineer

Yeah, it's a bit of a joke . . . of course, if the Jazz keep playing the way they do, they may just get one of the first draft picks . . . hehe . . . that's one of the few good things about sucking . . . probably won't happen though. As for rumors, I've read on ESPN that the Jazz may actually trade Williams before the deadline. But, of course, that probably won't happen either. I don't imagine he'll be around for more than another season. Having Sloan gone now makes me a little sick. I agree that maybe his "methods have become dated," so maybe Williams isn't that big of a punk, he just wants to win . . . but Sloan's been here so long, I can't imagine the Jazz without him. I think we'll find, though, that not much changes for the Jazz as far as this season goes...

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 5:31 PM
Bring out the cranes...

I am a bit disappointed that Sloan is stepping down mid-season like that. After 23 years of coaching and he gets the boot overnight. Something had to gone down with him and D-Will. I've heard that D-Will said that come next year if Coach Sloan is still around then he will not. One of the disappointing things is that I really wanted to see Sloan reach the all time winningest coach. He was a 1,221 wins and needed about a 100 more. Also sad to see that after 23 years as being one of the greatest coaches of all time he'll never get the coach of the year award or a championship. I guess that's the price to pay for coaching for a low market team like Utah. Anyways I wish Sloan the best of luck in the future and I hope after this D-Will puts the money where his mouth is and stays next year. ( I still think he'll leave come next year, even after all this. )
Also as for Jimmer, I'm sorry but that's just wishful thinking that he would play for the Jazz. While yes I would like to see that also Jimmer will get one of the top draft picks and he'll be long gone by the time the Jazz come around with their pick.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 7:37 PM
Exurb Enjoyer

In the future...........

Son: "Dad, what was 2011 like for you? What do you remember being the biggest headlines in Utah?"

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 8:25 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Looks like the biggest headline is the "Kiplyn Davis Case" Jerry Sloan is the 2nd biggest for the day.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 9:48 AM

As you may have known, I've always been one to try and remain optimistic when it comes to the sporting franchises I like, but as far as the Jazz are concerned, I'm going to throw in the towel for now. There is no knowing how Corbin will affect the Jazz in the future at this time, but something is telling me that in coming years we're finally going to understand what it's like to be a fan of an underperforming team for a few seasons.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 4:37 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC4L View Post
As you may have known, I've always been one to try and remain optimistic when it comes to the sporting franchises I like, but as far as the Jazz are concerned, I'm going to throw in the towel for now. There is no knowing how Corbin will affect the Jazz in the future at this time, but something is telling me that in coming years we're finally going to understand what it's like to be a fan of an underperforming team for a few seasons.

I agree. So far Corbin is 0-1. Even with Sloan leaving the Jazz still going to have a ton of issues to work out. Lets face it, the Jazz suck. Plain and simple. There's no beating around the bush anymore. The Jazz are not going to make the playoffs this year and D-Will will leave next year and the Jazz are going to have to rebuild and start over.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post

I agree. So far Corbin is 0-1. Even with Sloan leaving the Jazz still going to have a ton of issues to work out. Lets face it, the Jazz suck. Plain and simple. There's no beating around the bush anymore. The Jazz are not going to make the playoffs this year and D-Will will leave next year and the Jazz are going to have to rebuild and start over.
Jazz will make the playoffs, most likely at the 6th or 7th seat. Its Portland (& Memphis) that is on the outside looking in; with having Brandon Roy missing so many games. Its more likely that Daren will end up staying here. With AK's and Memo's contracts ending (AK's this year, Memo next year), they will have the most to offer Deron and another top free agent. Deron does like it in Utah, in fact he is the ONLY one on the team that lives in Utah All Year (in the off season) when everyone else leaves.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West