HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted May 14, 2011, 10:57 PM

^^ Doesn't seem all that LRT-friendly?

Old Posted May 15, 2011, 4:26 AM

^ I have vowed not to utter those letters until rail is placed firmly in ground...in other words, never!

Mohawk has come a long way in the last few years; campus is actually starting to look pretty decent! Thanks Mr MacIssac.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 12:45 AM
It's Hammer Time

Looks like the Brantford campus is closing and moving back to Hamilton...

Combining in-person and online learning is Mohawk College’s goal, president says

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...president-says

A big part of Mohawk College president Rob MacIsaac’s vision for the school is making postsecondary education accessible to everyone by making resources available online, around the clock.

MacIsaac says he’s committed to ensuring Mohawk is relevant to today’s economy and stays that way.

“We are trying to change both what and how we teach in a fundamental way. We set an objective that, by 2013, all of our courses will be delivered in a blended format, combining face-to-face and online learning in a thoughtful way.”

MacIsaac shared his thoughts Wednesday with The Spectator’s editorial board.

A key goal is to make the college’s programs accessible to students who previously couldn’t participate, many of whom have full-time jobs. MacIsaac said about 30 per cent of Mohawk students leave in their first year of postsecondary education, sometimes because of the difficulty around juggling work and school. Blended learning would give everyone access to classes and lectures anytime, any place.

The college’s physical footprint is seeing big changes, as well.

“We are also trying very hard to make sure that we are delivering our education in facilities that the students in this region deserve. That has meant undertaking the largest renovation in the college’s history, focused on the Fennell campus.”

The Fennell campus has already seen a new library and collaborative learning spaces, and the addition of campus-wide Wi-Fi access. A new student services centre is set to open in a few weeks. The school is also planning for a new recreation centre, incorporating student input.

“In our master plan, I think we could put up another five or six buildings on that campus.”

MacIsaac also confirmed the Elgin Street campus in Brantford will close in the next few years, which will add 1,500 students to the Fennell campus.

“It wasn’t an easy decision. It was not a high performing campus in terms of how well our students liked it. We actually did focus groups and surveys of our students at that campus and the majority of the students who were there indicated they preferred to be at the Fennell campus.”

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 3:19 PM
It's Hammer Time

Development Opportunity Multi-Modal Transportation Hub Mohawk College Fennell Campus

The Multi-modal Transportation Hub ("Hub") is an integral component of the Fennell Campus Renewal Plan. First class transportation infrastructure is fundamental to a vibrant economy. Mohawk has been identified as being located along a regionally significant transportation corridor. The Multi-modal Transportation Hub enhances the transportation network by reducing reliance on single occupant automobile access and freeing up capacity for other traffic. Further, linking the transportation hub with the Province's broader plan for public transportation, Mohawk will increase the ease of use of public transportation thereby making public transportation an attractive option.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 8:44 PM

Ever since MacIssac shown up, Mohawk has come leaps and bounds from even a few years ago.

I'm back at Mohawk now for a few more months of education after taking a 2 year break for a co-op near Vancouver, BC, the campus has changed so much in that time, and just seems to be planning to change for the better. Honestly, when MacIssac showed up, the school instantly seemed to change from a horrible 1970s looking high school to a modern 21st century campus. Still work needs to be done in parts, but man, what has been done absolutely impresses me.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 9:30 PM
Hammer'd

I agree. I used to go to Mohawk in 2007/2008 and the changes compared to now are remarkable. Mohawk is on the road to becoming a very high class campus.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 9:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
I agree. I used to go to Mohawk in 2007/2008 and the changes compared to now are remarkable. Mohawk is on the road to becoming a very high class campus.
I was there in '97-'99 and when I come home and drive by, I don't even recognize Mohawk anymore. It looks great but next time home, I may have to go in and see the inside.

Even back then we all thought it looked like a run of the mill high school.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 12:14 PM

I was there 2003 - 2007. I went there for a meeting this year and couldn't believe how nice it looked (in some sections... The E wing was still ugly).

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
I was there 2003 - 2007. I went there for a meeting this year and couldn't believe how nice it looked (in some sections... The E wing was still ugly).
I believe E wing is basically the last thing that needs to be redone on the campus to bring it to fully renewed (hallways - classrooms are a different story).

I think it is to be redone starting next summer..we'll see I guess.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 3:52 PM
It's Hammer Time

David Sweet to Make an Announcement for Southern Ontario Economy

HAMILTON, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Oct. 20, 2011) - David Sweet, Member of Parliament for Ancaster-Dundas-Flamborough-Westdale, on behalf of the Honourable Gary Goodyear, Minister of State for the Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario, will make an announcement regarding the Government's commitment to strengthening innovation and business competitiveness in southern Ontario.

MP Sweet will participate in a photo opportunity and will be available to answer questions from the media following the event.

Date: Friday, October 21, 2011

135 Fennell Avenue West
Hamilton, ON
L8N 3T2

Time: 3:00 p.m.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 1:34 AM
It's Hammer Time

Would be great if the Feds announced more funding for the velodrome at Mohawk.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 1:25 PM

maybe they'll build one of the new prisons here. What else are the federal cons going to do for the economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
David Sweet to Make an Announcement for Southern Ontario Economy

HAMILTON, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Oct. 20, 2011) - David Sweet, Member of Parliament for Ancaster-Dundas-Flamborough-Westdale, on behalf of the Honourable Gary Goodyear, Minister of State for the Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario, will make an announcement regarding the Government's commitment to strengthening innovation and business competitiveness in southern Ontario.

MP Sweet will participate in a photo opportunity and will be available to answer questions from the media following the event.

Date: Friday, October 21, 2011

135 Fennell Avenue West
Hamilton, ON
L8N 3T2

Time: 3:00 p.m.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 7:16 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 8:22 PM
It's Hammer Time

Mohawk poised to break ground on new rec centre

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...new-rec-centre

Mohawk College is about to break ground on its new recreation centre.

College president Rob MacIsaac said work on the $35-million facility will be under way within a month. The Mohawk Recreation Centre or MRC will replace the school’s aging recreation facilities, many of which haven’t had significant upgrades since the main building was constructed in 1967, as well as contribute to what MacIsaac calls “a sense of campus life.”

“The college has traditionally been a place where students have come, gone to class and left,” MacIsaac explained. “We see our rec facilities as being an important part of campus life and an important part of recognizing that our students do more than just learn.”

The 65,000-square-foot building will feature a triple gymnasium and an indoor running track as well as health and wellness and fitness centres. It will be built alongside the existing student centre on the north end of campus, near Fennell Avenue.

The project will allow the college to consolidate its now-fragmented services in one building as well as provide opportunities to expand programming.

Existing recreational facilities, meanwhile, will be retrofitted for other uses by the college. While MacIsaac said no plans are set in stone for that space, he suspects one portion will be used to accommodate the police foundations program when it moves from Brantford to the Fennell Campus.

The $35-million price tag was financed up front by the college, but will be reimbursed through student fees, said students’ association president Dan Clark.

Full-time students will be charged $65 per semester once the facility is up and running in late 2013, while other students, along with alumni and staff, will be able to purchase memberships through the athletics department.

“We’ve been working on this project for the last five years that I’ve been here and probably a bit before that as well,” Clark said. “It’s definitely long overdue.”

The college also wants students to have a say on programming at the new MRC. For more information or to fill out an online survey, visit www.mohawkcollege.ca/gymposium.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 8:25 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 1:30 AM

More great news for Mohawk.

What were previous college presidents doing anyway? So little of any import happened on campus until MacIssac came along.

Now if they can get something built on the NE corner campus will look amazing.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 12:18 PM

I can't believe how much Mohawk has changed since I graduated in 2006.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 4:33 PM
It's Hammer Time

The groundbreaking ceremony will take place on Friday for the Mohawk Recreation Centre.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 4:47 PM

I have NO clue what the previous presidents were doing. Mohawk was a clear and utter joke when I began my education there in 2007. Felt like a run down high school.

I worked a few co-ops out in BC in stretches between 2009 and 2011, and finally returned last fall to finally finish off my schooling at Mohawk. I was SHOCKED at how far the school had come over the past year or two. It finally had student transit passes, modern infrastructure, great study areas, and was almost renovated from end to end.

MacIssac has clearly been the best thing possible for Mohawk College. I just hope these changes continue, but in less than 5 years, it went from what I considered one of the worst college campuses to one of the best. The Rec Centre looks top notch, and I hope the campus continues to redevelop and renew itself.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 2:20 AM

I haven't stepped foot inside Mohawk since '94 or '95 - my last year as a student.

It was a HUGE joke back then and was pretty much a Mickey Mouse operation.

I'm reading people saying the place looks so different than what it looked like in 2007... I can only imagine how much different it will look to be being away for 17+ years. From the images posted - it looks like an incredible transformation.

One of these days I'll drop by and take a tour.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues