HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 9:55 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxRetales View Post

yep pedways are there

Great picture.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2012, 2:51 AM
積屍氣冥界波

Can't wait to use the new terminal:

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 10:38 PM
Dartmouth Girl

I was fiddling around with the panorama feature on my phone and took one of the front(..? lol) of the terminal.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 11:02 PM
Honored Member

Very impressive. It almost looks like a small airport terminal (and a large bus terminal). Is the image distorted by your camera or does it really look like that?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 12:10 AM

Now I know why it went so much over the original budget number. Transit is building a friggin' palace. All for bus driver washrooms...

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 12:23 AM

WTF, That is a bus terminal ? A tad too much I think.... what is the cost of this?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 12:48 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Very impressive. It almost looks like a small airport terminal (and a large bus terminal). Is the image distorted by your camera or does it really look like that?
It's a bit of both, there is a bit of distortion from the camera's panorama application (Samsung Galaxy Nexus) ... but the building does have a rather odd shape from that side, which works really cool with the camera in this case, I can't wait till it's finished so I can go up with my actual DSLR and get a few shots of this.. the building has a lot of odd perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by resetcbu1 View Post
WTF, That is a bus terminal ? A tad too much I think.... what is the cost of this?
It is indeed a bus terminal, sort of nestled into the side of a slope.. I think the budget for this project was somewhere in the ballpark of $15 million.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Now I know why it went so much over the original budget number. Transit is building a friggin' palace. All for bus driver washrooms...
Hardly. It's the busiest transit hub in the city, with the possible exception of Scotia Square. It should be an attractive and eye-catching building. Better to spend a little extra to build it right the first time. What would you have preferred, a paved parking lot and a dozen stand-alone bus shelters? You can't grow the transit system without the facilities to house it. Other cities wouldn't even blink at spending a few million on getting a quality facility for such an important location, especially for a facility that we're going to operate for 30-40 years.

Last edited by spaustin; Jun 14, 2012 at 1:40 AM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 1:45 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
Hardly. It's the busiest transit hub in the city, with the possible exception of Scotia Square. It should be an attractive and eye-catching building. Better to spend a little extra to build it right the first time. What would you have preferred, a paved parking lot and a dozen stand-alone bus shelters? You can't grow the transit system without the facilities to house it. Other cities wouldn't even blink at spending a few million on getting a quality facility for such an important location, especially for a facility that we're going to operate for 30-40 years.
Very well put.. I mean, we know we're probably not going to see any sort of rail transit here for a while. Why not sink the money into facilities that will handle increased demand for years to come.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 1:45 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It seems kind of elaborate but then again I used to transfer sometimes at the Mumford Terminal, which is really not that old, and it is pretty lacking in terms of both space and shelter.

I hope we see some substantial development in this area over the next few years. It's a big waste to have a nice transit terminal surrounded by empty lots and parking. The area from Boland Road to the Common could use a serious overhaul.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 3:51 AM
we built this city

It also makes the area less sketchy. It would be a good idea for them to have security or possible police presence there.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
It also makes the area less sketchy. It would be a good idea for them to have security or possible police presence there.
If they don't it will get trashed very quickly.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 1:56 PM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaliStreaks View Post
Very well put.. I mean, we know we're probably not going to see any sort of rail transit here for a while. Why not sink the money into facilities that will handle increased demand for years to come.
I think this is a great step forward for transit. The cost ended up being $12.1 million (projected), of which a couple million was the bridge/park integration, which is going to be a really nice feature, and a couple million was dealing with the water issues that plague that site (remember when Wise Rd used to flood all the time in front of sportsplex?).

16 bus bays, 17,000 users DAILY.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 5:50 PM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
I think this is a great step forward for transit. The cost ended up being $12.1 million (projected), of which a couple million was the bridge/park integration, which is going to be a really nice feature, and a couple million was dealing with the water issues that plague that site (remember when Wise Rd used to flood all the time in front of sportsplex?).

16 bus bays, 17,000 users DAILY.
The park intigration really helps make this a unique project, not only locally, but I think more widespread as well. I was taking my time walking around the the fence checking out the site yesterday, I was a little perplexed when I first saw these big concrete channels running right through the site at a couple of spots, and couldn't quite figure out what that was for, then I remembered the water issues it really looks like they did their homework in making sure that runoff stormwater from the site will be handled properly.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 7:09 PM

I hope that the land between the terminal and the High School will be fixed up. I drive past Citadel High everyday and there is a huge difference in grounds maintenance; a bridge too far.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2012, 3:24 AM
積屍氣冥界波

Not much progress here. Some trees planted:

Old Posted Jul 13, 2012, 5:22 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Coming back from Halifax tonight around 11 they had a good chunk of Nantucket Ave (the side closes to the terminal) closed off and it appeared they were prepping and getting ready to install new traffic signals where the crosswalk is.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 10:41 PM
積屍氣冥界波

Opening in two weeks:

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 11:19 PM
Halifax Promoter!

You really get around and take such great pictures. Thanks for all the updates SMH (sorry my abbreviation- easier than typing your name here)

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 1:09 AM
積屍氣冥界波

Thanks teddifax! You are doing a great job on your updates too!

I take the bus to work in Downtown Halifax, so I get to see many of the Downtown projects.

Feel free the use SMH. It's a silly name!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure