HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 9:27 PM

https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/n...lots-sold.html

Pepsi sold two parking lots near 38th and Blake station to Carmel, who is looking to submit a site development plan later this year. That seems pretty significant.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 4:20 AM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
Originally Posted by The FasTracks update TakeFive posted
Code:
CORRIDOR	RIDERSHIP	COST	COST/RIDER
Central		3200		$140M	$ 44k
North extension	3100		$280M	$ 90k
NW		4100		$1.5B	$366k    <------- !!!!!
SW extension	3700		$170M	$ 46k
4,100 riders

NW is almost an order of magnitude less efficient than the others. It's less than 1/5 the ridership of Colfax buses. Less than 1/3 Flatiron Flyer ridership. Significantly less than even Boulder's local SKIP bus. And they want to spend $1.5 billion on it.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
4,100 riders

NW is almost an order of magnitude less efficient than the others. It's less than 1/5 the ridership of Colfax buses. Less than 1/3 Flatiron Flyer ridership. Significantly less than even Boulder's local SKIP bus. And they want to spend $1.5 billion on it.
Bu, Bu, But by 2050 there's a really real chance that ridership estimates should double.

None of these options make much sense, really, except perhaps the central corridor assuming it's still wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
I still think RTD, and local municipalities should invest more in true BRT. It can work just as well as the train, at a fraction of the cost. With Bustang continuously exceeding ridership expectations, I don't see why this isn't explored more.
Both Bustang and the Flatiron Flyer demonstrate the appeal of a more upscale express bus service. Neither feel like 'mass' transit. I assume it's the much nicer 'coaches' that is half the appeal. Next up in this category is BRT-lite along the Boulder - Longmont Diagonal.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
I still think RTD, and local municipalities should invest more in true BRT. It can work just as well as the train, at a fraction of the cost. With Bustang continuously exceeding ridership expectations, I don't see why this isn't explored more.
I've had some fun debates on behalf of BRT with a blog buddy in Phoenix. He grew up in NYC and he has no interest in BRT; has to be a train. He, like a lot of people would MUCH prefer to ride the rails. I can appreciate his thinking.

I'd conclude it depends on context. What Denver/RTD is planning for E Colfax is a splendid use of BRT. I especially like the center-running lanes through the denser area of Cap Hill before the buses will then move to curbside service. BTW, in a few more months we can celebrate the third decade of trying to accomplish this project.

Federal Blvd would seem to provide the same opportunity as Colfax. Beyond those streets it gets trickier (outside of downtown itself). It's much harder to justify dedicated lanes if other than for Rush Hours, buses are only needed infrequently. BAT lanes (especially downtown) might be an option in some cases. Over time and if one new BRT route is added every decade then maybe in a couple of decades it will be much different.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 3:49 PM

I pulled up DEN gate usage on flightstats.com

The six new "temporary" A gates (A71-A81, odds only) have been restriped as nine new gates, A71-A87). United's regional partner Skywest is using them fairly intensively for its CRJ200 flights. This is most likely in preparation for the temporary loss of gates in the eastern end of the B concourse as those gates are reconstructed in the coming years.

United continues to use C38, and has expanded its use of A33-A37 odds as the airline just doesn't have enough room on the B concourse for all of its flights. Delta and American are also sending more of their domestic flights over from their full gates into the "common use" international gates A33-A47. Frontier has expanded in practice from just its 8 dedicated gates to 11, with flights out of A52, A54 (renumbered from A56?) and A60 (the last two gates are ground gates).

Even after all of the concourse expansions are complete, I expect United to use part of the A concourse as the B concourse will have no room for further expansion henceforth.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Bu, Bu, But by 2050 there's a really real chance that ridership estimates should double.
Why would they? Boulder has actually shrunk in recent years, and virtually all municipalities along this corridor are anti-growth. This includes Boulder, Superior, Louisville, Lafayette, Broomfield (land-locked but some greenfield development along US-36 - NOT the NW rail corridor), and Westminster (although their town center may generate some ridership despite also being next to a major FF corridor stop).

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
Why would they? Boulder has actually shrunk in recent years, and virtually all municipalities along this corridor are anti-growth. This includes Boulder, Superior, Louisville, Lafayette, Broomfield (land-locked but some greenfield development along US-36 - NOT the NW rail corridor), and Westminster (although their town center may generate some ridership despite also being next to a major FF corridor stop).

did they modify the plans to add a stop at the Wesminster town center? Based on the map below, they would go right past it and have a stop near the Wesminster Promenade.

http://www.rtd-denver.com/img/fastra...-northwest.jpg

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
Very good question; I didn't even give it a thought.
In any case, 30 years from now I'd expect the NW route will still be a bottom priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmapper View Post
I pulled up DEN gate usage on flightstats.com

The six new "temporary" A gates (A71-A81, odds only) have been restriped as nine new gates, A71-A87). United's regional partner Skywest is using them fairly intensively for its CRJ200 flights. This is most likely in preparation for the temporary loss of gates in the eastern end of the B concourse as those gates are reconstructed in the coming years.

United continues to use C38, and has expanded its use of A33-A37 odds as the airline just doesn't have enough room on the B concourse for all of its flights. Delta and American are also sending more of their domestic flights over from their full gates into the "common use" international gates A33-A47. Frontier has expanded in practice from just its 8 dedicated gates to 11, with flights out of A52, A54 (renumbered from A56?) and A60 (the last two gates are ground gates).

Even after all of the concourse expansions are complete, I expect United to use part of the A concourse as the B concourse will have no room for further expansion henceforth.
Thanks for the info; DIA (DEN) is so amazing.

By the time this gate expansion is completed along with the Great Hall and new security check-in I'd guess it will be time to seriously start exploring building a new terminal.

There's also plans to widen Pena Blvd with a reconfigured interchange at Jackson Gap Street. They also plan a free-flowing turn lane that will make it easier for drivers to return to the airport from outbound Peña. Denver Post has the coverage.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 4:28 PM

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 10:22 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmapper View Post

Freaks me out when I get dropped at C. And I have gotten off the train at B without even realizing my plane was on C. Does give me the opportunity to look down on the Southwest flyers, though.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 5:26 AM

Source
PARTY LIKE IT’S 1969 AT RTD’S 50TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION!
Posted on 06.25.19

Join us for RTD’s 50th Anniversary Celebration!
  • When: Friday, July 12 from 11:00 am to 5:30 pm
  • Where: Union Station Plaza (17th & Wynkoop)
As a thank you to our community, please come out and enjoy food, fun, and entertainment with a throwback twist! We’ll have food trucks, a band, giveaways, interactive displays, a commemorative photo booth, and more as we celebrate 50 years of moving people.

Last edited by TakeFive; Jun 27, 2019 at 8:08 PM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
The outlier

Prior to tonight I knew next to nothing about her but I'd love to see a debate between Trump and Tulsi Gabbard.
And this relates to transportation in Denver how exactly?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 12:54 PM

does anyone know why the N line doesn't stop at 38th and Blake?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 2:26 PM
ColoRADo

Quote:
Originally Posted by trubador View Post
It doesn’t go to 38th and Blake.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trubador View Post
Red is B Line, Green is N Line...N line doesn't go through 38th and Blake.
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Last edited by EngiNerd; Jun 28, 2019 at 3:00 PM. Reason: Didn't have N line path

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 2:59 PM

So much office momentum at 38th and Blake. And yet, from a transit standpoint, it’s a bit of a pain to get to compared to the CBD/Lodo since it requires a transfer for most of the metro (unless you live in Stapleton or GVR) that comes at best once every 15 minutes. In 5-8 years, I'll be real curious on what the transit mode share is for workers in this area. If I worked there, I'd probably want to live in one of the residential areas in the Five Points, North City Park, Park Hill corridor. I feel this part of Denver is going to go into gentrification overdrive, which will be painful for some because it is so underzoned.

I’m not sure how I feel about opportunity zones. I know there was some good intent behind the idea, but I wonder how history will judge it in 15-20 years. Is this yet another top-down government intervention in the market for urban land use which will have unintended repercussions for generations? Is it healthy for state governments to choose which neighborhoods are “winners and losers” with arbitrary lines on a map? Will these schemes unnaturally accelerate displacement in vulnerable neighborhoods? If Denver is any indication, will OZ's have a decentralizing effect on employment centers?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 4:04 PM
Robotic Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngiNerd View Post
Red is B Line, Green is N Line...N line doesn't go through 38th and Blake.
I wish RTD would add a station between Union Station and 38th on A Line, between Union Station and 48th on N Line and between Union Station and 41st on G/NW Line.

For the A Line, a station over Broadway would serve the urban areas void of easy transit right into neighboring Union Station, LoDo and CBD. It would serve the area bordered by Coors Field to 32nd Street and from Atkins Ct to Lawrence St (which includes the entire lower RINO area).

For the N Line, perhaps one day a station at 31st Street on the north side of the Platte, once RINO builds out.

For the G Line, perhaps a station under the Wewatta elevated intersection area, with elevators to make a pedestrian connection up to the elevated intersection of Wewatta, 22nd, Delagony, Park Ave , as well as at-grade pedestrian connections into the Prospect Neighborhood.

Last edited by SnyderBock; Jun 29, 2019 at 7:10 AM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 4:51 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnyderBock View Post
I wish RTD would add a station between Union Station and 38th on A Line, between Union Station and 48th on N Line and between Union Station and 41st on G/NW Line.

For the A Line, a station over Broadway would serve the urban areas void of easy transit right into neighboring Union Station, LoDo and CBD. It would serve the area bordered by Coors Field to 32nd Street and from Atkins Ct to Lawrence St (which includes the entire lower RINO area).

For the N Line, perhaps one day a station at 31st Street on the north side of the Platte, once RINO builds out.

For the G Line, perhaps a station under the Wewatta elevated intersection area, with elevators to make a pedestrian connection up to the elevated intersection of Wewatta, 22nd, Delagony, Park Ave well as at-grade pedestrian connections into the Prospect Neighborhood.
This seems rather foolish as none of these stops hit at anything close to a major node. The A line stop is physically cut-off from most of the neighborhoods serving it, the G Line is so damn close to Union Station that you can walk to it, and the N Line stop is between RTD's bus garage and the BNSF train yards. None of these are convenient, nor do they connect these neighborhoods together.

A better solution would be a bus route along Wewatta/Derango/Artkins Court from the Auraria to the the NWSS.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 7:17 AM
Robotic Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
This seems rather foolish as none of these stops hit at anything close to a major node. The A line stop is physically cut-off from most of the neighborhoods serving it, the G Line is so damn close to Union Station that you can walk to it, and the N Line stop is between RTD's bus garage and the BNSF train yards. None of these are convenient, nor do they connect these neighborhoods together.

A better solution would be a bus route along Wewatta/Derango/Artkins Court from the Auraria to the the NWSS.
I do like that suggestion. Do you not ever see a need to at least add an A Line Station where it crosses over Broadway? Of the 3 I suggested, this one seems like it could become the most useful.

Also, what about the Central corridor extension streetcar proposal? once that is built, how about running it from 38th station down say Blake or Larimer or something like that, back down towards Union Station and then maybe back up 14th and tying it all in as a central corridor loop streetcar? Then supplement that with some well branded bus routes

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 12:21 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnyderBock View Post
I do like that suggestion. Do you not ever see a need to at least add an A Line Station where it crosses over Broadway? Of the 3 I suggested, this one seems like it could become the most useful.
bcp and others in the business community lobbied for this early on. It was looked at and dismissed, I believe in large part because the electric CRT technology/rolling stock just doesn't work well with stops at that frequency.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West