Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 5:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp View Post
Too woke for jobs
Yup. Lol.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 5:28 PM

World's most egotistical company holds year long beauty pageant playing all potential cities against each other. WME company chooses most egotistical city in the world and then is shocked when egotistical city quickly gets bored and loses interest.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 5:35 PM
BANNED

Why create jobs when the world is going to end in 11 years?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 5:44 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
Having just been badly burned by NYC I'd expect the any further looking at runners up to replace it to be as quiet as the proverbial tomb, were it happening at all.
That's kinda the root cause of all of this. Parading it via the media. They should of been discrete about it, instead of making it a reality show. NYC absorbs and creates 1000's of jobs each year, and something like this didn't need such publicity. Could of been a slow trojan horse into "X" city.

In the end, its just a drop in the bucket for NY. Other cities, from an urban transformation perspective, could really use the jobs and development influx.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 5:55 PM

I always found it weird that Bezos wouldn't have gone for a smaller city to own (like he owns Seattle) than to just be another fish in the giant NYC pond.

He could move to North Carolina and OWN that state.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I always found it weird that Bezos wouldn't have gone for a smaller city to own (like he owns Seattle) than to just be another fish in the giant NYC pond.

He could move to North Carolina and OWN that state.
That's basically the "company town" rationale.

Clearly Bezos actually likes the setup where they have 100% turnover within two years, and doesn't want to do much to lengthen employee tenure.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 6:08 PM

I expect Nashville will get more Amazon jobs, and Austin should also do quite well, keeping what they already have and getting more from Amazon

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 6:29 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

Making NYC pay incentives to lure high paying jobs is like “selling ice to an eskimo”.

The proposed location would not revive a struggling neighborhood, it would just send rents to the stratosphere.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 6:33 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
pretty sure the same thing would have happened if they came here
There would be some citizens against it, and some smaller politicians, but the governor is supportive, Rahm is supportive and there's a decent chance that the new Mayor will be. If they're considering Chicago, if expect them to wait until after at least three Mayoral first round to see either who wins outright or who the run off candidates are.

Amazon didn't care so much about the protesters as they did the lack of sustained political support.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 6:34 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Why create jobs when the world is going to end in 11 years?
Which world ending scenario are you referring to?
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 6:44 PM

Wow, shocking news.

I suspect that they will just add more jobs to the established amazon centers like DC, Nashville and LA.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 6:46 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
Making NYC pay incentives to lure high paying jobs is like “selling ice to an eskimo”.

The proposed location would not revive a struggling neighborhood, it would just send rents to the stratosphere.
That's not a projected result of Amazon from a root cause analysis, but really due to the zoning and transit, which would fall on the city and state. Affordable housing is making gains, but I'd argue not enough. What would of been interesting had this gone through would be how the city or if they would rethink the zoning in the area and its proxies.

Something like I'd speculate would push for aggressive timetables on getting Sunnyside Yards rolling, which could provide 25-30k units. Developers are banking on the projected spike in demand. We probally would be seeing large scale developments, given the parcels in the neighborhood being snatched up, proposed within the next 2 years.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 6:49 PM

Amazon pulls out of $3 billion deal to bring HQ2 to NYC

“Amazon said Thursday it was bailing on locating its new campus in Queens, dealing a devastating blow to Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Mayor Bill de Blasio and costing the region up to 25,000 high-paying jobs.”

Bob Fredericks
NY Post

They are saying there won’t be any continued searching, so I suppose that could mean the Crystal City site will be greatly enlarged. Although I don’t see the problem of just moving the LIC site to Newark or Atlanta.

IMO Bezos pulled a fast one with the HQ2 x 2 move. NYC by nature is not a place that gets played by outsiders, especially on such grand a scale. I can also imagine NYC is such a city that doesn’t really need Amazon that badly.

Last edited by liat91; Feb 14, 2019 at 7:07 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 7:07 PM

I wonder will areas in the rust belt have a shot at landing any positions now that NYC area has backed out?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 7:12 PM

They say that they will not look for a new location and instead focus on expanding their 17 existing tech hubs. Ironically, this means that NYC will still see a big increase in Amazon jobs since NYC is already one of their 17 tech hubs: https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...ber/940615002/

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 7:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Which world ending scenario are you referring to?
It's AOC's of course.

“I think that the part of it that is generational is that millennials and Gen-Z and all these folks that come after us are looking up and we’re like, ‘The world is going to end in 12 years if we don’t address climate change,’ and your biggest issue is–your biggest issue is, ‘How are we going to pay for it?'” “And, like, this is the war; this is our World War II.”

It's like, totally, our world war!

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 7:42 PM

yAy aCTiViSm workz!

And you lost 25k jobs...

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
Wow. Can you imagine how all the real estate speculators who scooped up places sight unseen must be feeling right now?
Every time a real estate speculator gets burned, and angel gets its wings.

Seriously, how could anyonme justify tax breaks for a company owned by the world's richest man? NYC will be just fine, in fact more liveable without Amazon.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 8:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Every time a real estate speculator gets burned, and angel gets its wings.

Seriously, how could anyonme justify tax breaks for a company owned by the world's richest man? NYC will be just fine, in fact more liveable without Amazon.
Because $3 billion in tax incentives was estimated to produce $27.5 billion in tax revenue over 25 years.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 8:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Wow, shocking news.

I suspect that they will just add more jobs to the established amazon centers like DC, Nashville and LA.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/reta...york-drop-dead

February 14, 2019 10:53 AM |updated 6 minutes ago

Amazon to New York: Drop dead

“We plan to create the 25,000 jobs that were supposed to happen in NYC across our current tech hubs." Chicago is one of them.

Amazon took its ball and went home, dropping plans for a major expansion in New York City that could have included 25,000 jobs.

While it’s a blow to New York, it’s good news for Chicago and other cities.

“We do not intend to reopen the HQ2 search at this time,” the company said. “We will continue to hire and grow across our 17 corporate offices and tech hubs in the U.S. and Canada.”

An Amazon spokesman added, “We plan to create the 25,000 jobs that were supposed to happen in NYC across our current tech hubs network in North America.” Chicago is one of 17 cities that Amazon dubs its tech hubs in North America.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions