HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 7:08 PM
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
Maybe this is where my understanding of a RT system is different than others... I thought the point was to move people between neighbourhoods rather than within... 800m distance between stops seems much too close (but then I'm comparing to LRT models in my mind where stations can be multiple kms apart). If we want a system where everybody along a corridor is within walking distance to a stop, isn't that just regular old transit, like we already got? The point of hierarchal nodes is so that we get the benefit of having fewer but busier, real, stations. Having distance between stops and separated busways, combined with efficient embarking/disembarking is what allows it to move people rapidly. I'd rather have a system with only 6 stations/stops (downtown, confed, Lawson, Stonebridge, University Heights and Centre mall, with good small feeder routes for everywhere else) than the 49 (wow 49 BRT stations lol!!! ) that everyone is within walking distance to.
I think the distinction lies between a 'metro' system, which is designed to circulate people throughout a city and be in conveniently accessible locations to where people live, work, and play, and a 'commuter' system, which is designed to bring people from outlying suburban areas into core employment areas within a city.

They are separate types of systems that serve different functions. In my head, when I think of the system that is the city is trying to introduce, I think of a 'metro' style system, in the vein of the Vancouver Skytrain or Toronto Subway, rather than a 'commuter' system, which would be more like Toronto's GO Transit. The C-Train is a bit of an odd hybrid because while it is nominally LRT it functions more like commuter rail than a streetcar.

In my mind, if Saskatoon was to have a commuter system, it would be out to Warman/Martensville. I don't think Saskatoon is large enough to justify a commuter system within city limits, and having to wait 7 or 8 stops to get from Confederation to Downtown (or Lawson, University Heights, etc) doesn't seem especially burdensome to me when you look at metro systems the world over.

Obviously what's being proposed is nothing remotely close to a true 'metro' system, but maybe we could think of it as some kind of 'metro-lite' system for pint-sized Saskatoon. I'm hopeful.

EDIT: The other drawback to having only a few stations at the nodes you mention is that it serves to foster the hub-and-spoke model, except now it's further dispersed and requires a similar number of transfers (if not more) to get to your destination. This proposal allows for better leveraging of Saskatoon's basic grid system when it comes to conventional bus routes.

Last edited by phone; Feb 8, 2018 at 7:24 PM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 1:39 AM

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 12:00 AM

Riversdale/Caswell BRT stop

Hey there, long time lurker first time poster.

I have been following these plans for quite a while but noticed that the Avenue D stop seems to have been removed from recent plans. That means that anyone in Caswell or Riversdale (two up-and-coming neighborhoods in Stoon's Urban future) won't be serviced by the BRT except for DT or Ave H. While it might not seem like a long distance, Ave H and 22nd isn't ideal for Riversdale business. I have tried reaching out to the city and whatnot but cannot figure out why it was mysterious excluded from plan.

Does anyone have insight?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 2:33 PM

Here is an interesting article on why Saskatoon model is not a true BRT

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...it-expert-says

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 4:01 PM

Would this affect any potential Federal funds/grants for BRT if the Saskatoon model does not meet the criteria of a BRT??

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 4:08 PM
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsider4life View Post

I have been following these plans for quite a while but noticed that the Avenue D stop seems to have been removed from recent plans. That means that anyone in Caswell or Riversdale (two up-and-coming neighborhoods in Stoon's Urban future) won't be serviced by the BRT except for DT or Ave H. While it might not seem like a long distance, Ave H and 22nd isn't ideal for Riversdale business. I have tried reaching out to the city and whatnot but cannot figure out why it was mysterious excluded from plan.

Not sure but I agree that a stop at Ave C or D would be useful, particularly as a terminus for something closer to true BRT until the rail line is eventually relocated

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 4:09 PM
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Would this affect any potential Federal funds/grants for BRT if the Saskatoon model does not meet the criteria of a BRT??
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that the federal funding is aimed at capital projects for public transit in general, not BRT in particular. For example Saskatoon got a number of shiny new buses from the same program. So I don't believe it would affect anything.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 4:26 PM

Yeah, I don't think any federal funding will be affected by this. And it's not a bombshell story that this isn't 100% true BRT. The expert in the article even says that each system should be tailored to the particular city anyway.

What I believe we're getting is still a vastly improved, much more reliable, frequent, and rapid service. The system can be scaled up over time to make it closer to "true" BRT too. Exclusive centre lanes can be added to more streets over time as usage of the system increases. Getting the centre lanes in from the get-go on College, Broadway, and 3rd Ave is a crucial start.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsider4life View Post

Welcome, Westsider4life! I'm afraid I don't have any insight on that, but wanted to welcome you to the discussion.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Yeah, I don't think any federal funding will be affected by this. And it's not a bombshell story that this isn't 100% true BRT. The expert in the article even says that each system should be tailored to the particular city anyway.

What I believe we're getting is still a vastly improved, much more reliable, frequent, and rapid service. The system can be scaled up over time to make it closer to "true" BRT too. Exclusive centre lanes can be added to more streets over time as usage of the system increases. Getting the centre lanes in from the get-go on College, Broadway, and 3rd Ave is a crucial start.
I have to agree with you on this completely. I will however add that I hope that the city planners and council see this as a stepping stone to be improved upon rather than a final solution. because to leave the system as planned currently seems half-assed. I would like to see a 5 and 10 year plan after implementation of the BRT to include things like dedicated lanes down 8th and 22nd as well as the other 2 main lines. Also plans to deal with the rail crissings (which they are starting). I understand we cant just shell out half a billion like Ottawa or Winnipeg but there should be a long term plan.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 8:38 PM

The city has updated a lot on it's website as well as had consultations with 3rd ave businesses in the past few weeks so I thought I'd post an update on this as City Council is most likely approving the BRT June 25th.

Fact Sheet: https://www.saskatoon.ca/sites/defau...t_may_2018.pdf

3rd Ave Consultation Boards:
https://www.saskatoon.ca/sites/defau...town_final.pdf

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 8:25 PM
Unregistered User

The City has posted the agenda for Wednesday's upcoming special council meeting to present updates for the BRT and Active Transit plans, which contains a wealth of detailed reports on each topic.

https://apps2.saskatoon.ca/tpapp/eam...cumentId=55099

Old Posted Jul 8, 2018, 1:03 AM

Last edited by BrickJunkie; Jul 10, 2018 at 4:44 AM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2018, 1:42 AM

I'm holding my breath on this project. It will be interesting to see if Saskatoon learns from Winnipeg's example. I don't want to say too much to jinx it (lol) but I am totally hoping the best for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickJunkie View Post
Hey there folks, I've been playing around making fantasy light rail maps for cities and I thought I'd share a 3 line system for Saskatoon if I can figure out how to do so. You may find this map as a bit silly or inappropriate, and if so my apologies, as it's been years since I've been to your city. But as an outsider I hope I hit most of the major spots in town. Either way, here's what I came up with. I encourage you guys to play around with My Maps if you're so inclined; I think it's pretty stellar.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ye...QC&usp=sharing
Decent map. Belongs in a fantasies thread. I disagree with the way the Blue line zips up to meet the yellow line; and I get why you did it (for the University).

Old Posted Jul 8, 2018, 2:07 AM

Last edited by BrickJunkie; Jul 10, 2018 at 4:44 AM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 3:40 PM

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 3:52 PM

Bahaha. Sounds like real unbiased science to me. Small sample size motivated by giftcards and prizes. Of course all the participants will probably be people who were already thinking of taking the bus already anyways due to rapid transit. I get what they are trying to accomplish and why. I just think that the whole study is flawed from the getgo.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 3:34 AM

New options for downtown and Broadway routing here: https://www.saskatoon.ca/sites/defau...uting_map2.pdf

Also, some upcoming engagement opportunities:

November 6 2018 from 3:00pm to 8:00pm Hilton Garden Inn, South Room – 90 22nd Street East

November 8 2018 from 3:00pm to 8:00pm Emmanuel Anglican Church – 609 Dufferin Avenue

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 3:25 PM

My preference for BRT would be the 1st Ave to Idylwyld or 1st Ave to Broadway. I really believe 3rd Ave should be the focus of bike lanes and more street level commercial friendly development.

My concern with any BRT on Broadway is the potential loss of the "character" of that street. I know this is quite hypocritical of me, as I have posted on here my frustration at recent public meetings on condo developments in the area, that have focused on "character"of residents or neighborhood being threatened.

However in this case....the commercial district of Broadway has evolved into a very friendly foot traffic area with decent green(tree/boulevard) amenities and growth of expanded outdoor patio options in summer. If that is put at risk by adding a BRT down Broadway, then I would definitely be opposed. If the function of Broadway as it is now, can be retained, then I have no issue with BRT there (as I understand it provides a better catchment area for "riders").

Just my opinion.....

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 3:49 PM

My vote would be for 1st and Idylwyld. Maybe Broadway could have a small streetcar system running between station on 8th to 5 corners to help disabled, elderly and people who don't like to walk, just shop.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan