HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 6:50 AM
ARTchitecture

My photos over the past few days...

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 1:55 PM

Great shots, Calgary always looks so clean and new.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 2:13 PM

CIBC Square

South Core by Ryan Tir, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 3:30 PM

Amazing Calgary and Toronto shots!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 3:37 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Great shots, Calgary always looks so clean and new.
Thanks man. Yeah, I remember a few years ago Calgary had been ranked as the cleanest city in the world. Not sure if it still is. It's funny you say that, because that's what about half my tourists said yesterday. This group was from Ontario, but all my American groups last year said the same as well. It's certainly not an "attraction" in itself, but it certainly helps people feel more comfortable walking around and experiencing a new city.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 3:12 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 12:03 AM
I am the law!

The corner glass is spandrel and vision. The main facades are full height vision panels with shadow boxes. This is going to look very nice. Hopefully, the lighting units are kept to a minimum.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 12:40 AM

The shaped facade is starting to take form now that they've finished two floors worth of glass. Looks pretty good in person.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 2:55 PM

#3 CIBC Square
#5 Sugar Warf Tower D
#8 Sugar Warf Tower E

Taken by Lisa de Jong [URL="https://www.flickr.com/photos/ldejong[/URL]

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 3:40 PM
gettin' rich!

Glass Cladding Going up on CIBC SQUARE

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...e.674/page-248

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 5:44 PM

Growth and denial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Yikes. Jesus Christ. I'm sure you were kidding, I'd much rather it stay the way it is thank you

I imagine some of the buildings on the 7th Ave side will be redeveloped, but not any time soon. Telus Sky will have certainly raised the property values in the area.
Reality principle:

Read in G&M

The scale of Calgary’s problem can be seen three kilometres west of Ms. Doody’s business at Fifth Avenue Place downtown. The two-tower complex is an ocean of blue glass and was the headquarters of Imperial Oil until recently. Its market value, and consequently its property tax bill, has plummeted according to data from the city. In the single year before 2019, the municipal assessment for the complex fell by 46 per cent from $429-million to $231-million.

When oil prices began to slide in 2015, the city pegged the value of Fifth Avenue Place at $916-million.

Fifteen floors in the complex are listed as either fully or partially vacant. Brookfield, the property’s owner, did not respond to a request for comment.

Across the street from Fifth Avenue Place, Bow Valley Square saw the second-largest decline in assessment over the past year among the city’s 20 most valuable properties. Worth just shy of $900-million in 2015, the building’s value has plummeted to $236-million in 2019.

“It’s no secret that Calgary is experiencing an extremely challenging office market that has impacted values for owners across the city," said Daniel O'Donnell, a spokesman for building owner Oxford. He said the vacancy rate at Bow Valley Square is currently 10 per cent below the downtown's average vacancy rate.

Stuart Barron, Cushman & Wakefield's national research director, has never observed building values drop by as much as they have in Calgary in recent years. A quarter of Calgary’s downtown office space is currently empty, he said. With new buildings under construction, the vacancy rate is expected to stay stubbornly high through the next decade.
“You could put all the available space in downtown Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and Ottawa inside of Calgary’s available space and you’d have space to spare. That’s an incredible story, which highlights the impact of the oil crunch. No one expected the depth and length of this depressed cycle,” Mr. Barron said.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...igit-property/

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 7:20 PM
Community Guy

^unreal stuff and that space reality check.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 8:16 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by maikan View Post
Reality principle:

Read in G&M

The scale of Calgary’s problem can be seen three kilometres west of Ms. Doody’s business at Fifth Avenue Place downtown. The two-tower complex is an ocean of blue glass and was the headquarters of Imperial Oil until recently. Its market value, and consequently its property tax bill, has plummeted according to data from the city. In the single year before 2019, the municipal assessment for the complex fell by 46 per cent from $429-million to $231-million.

When oil prices began to slide in 2015, the city pegged the value of Fifth Avenue Place at $916-million.

Fifteen floors in the complex are listed as either fully or partially vacant. Brookfield, the property’s owner, did not respond to a request for comment.

Across the street from Fifth Avenue Place, Bow Valley Square saw the second-largest decline in assessment over the past year among the city’s 20 most valuable properties. Worth just shy of $900-million in 2015, the building’s value has plummeted to $236-million in 2019.

“It’s no secret that Calgary is experiencing an extremely challenging office market that has impacted values for owners across the city," said Daniel O'Donnell, a spokesman for building owner Oxford. He said the vacancy rate at Bow Valley Square is currently 10 per cent below the downtown's average vacancy rate.

Stuart Barron, Cushman & Wakefield's national research director, has never observed building values drop by as much as they have in Calgary in recent years. A quarter of Calgary’s downtown office space is currently empty, he said. With new buildings under construction, the vacancy rate is expected to stay stubbornly high through the next decade.
“You could put all the available space in downtown Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and Ottawa inside of Calgary’s available space and you’d have space to spare. That’s an incredible story, which highlights the impact of the oil crunch. No one expected the depth and length of this depressed cycle,” Mr. Barron said.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...igit-property/
I see, but what does that, at all, have to do with what I said about Telus Sky raising the property values on the low-rise retail buildings on Stephen Avenue in the immediate vicinity? Both BVS and EAP are multiple blocks away from Telus Sky, with EAP being 6 blocks away, and BVS being 3 blocks south of Stephen Avenue. Everyone knows Calgary's going through a tough time for our office space, yet our inner city population reached its all-time high two years ago and is increasing faster than ever before (the Beltline growing by 1700 between 20177 and 2018). Even though our unemployment is at some of the highest we've seen in decades over the last few years, 7% would be considered business as usual or even good in a good portion of areas of the country, so I mean... whatever. Things might be bad for office owners and property taxes, but a ton of other areas are doing a lot better than they have in a very long time (one easily viewable metric being that we have 22 residential/mixed use skyscrapers UC right now, more than double Edmonton's number and almost twice Ottawa's, plus an uncountable number of low and mid-rise MF structures). Either way, we needed a correction, and this is it. Thank gods.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 8:33 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 8:52 PM

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 4:46 PM
ARTchitecture

By me, last week

By me, last week.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 6:12 PM
I am the law!

are the floorplans available yet?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 6:30 PM
ARTchitecture

This is all that's available so far. Odd considering opening day for the residences is like... within this year.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 6:37 PM
I am the law!

Wow. Thanks. I've seen the office plans but, never the residential.

The wide suite layout at the end of the elevator corridor could be awesome.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 6:48 PM

Definitely some unique unit configurations. Not sure how I'd like those two long narrow ones. Put a bookshelf or table against the wall and you may have a pretty tight squeeze.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada