HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 3:48 PM

I voted against Bronco last election, but the next time if my only two choices are Bronco and McBlinky, I'm choosing Bronco.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 4:19 PM
Construction Enthusiast

There weren't any reasonable alternatives to Bronco last election, and we'll have to see if there are any reasonable alternatives this time.

If someone's going to run against Bronco (and wants my vote), they better be able to make believable promises (West LRT by 2010, lol), and understand the outcomes of the policies they say they will implement.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogged View Post
A million calls doesn't sound too far fetched though, when you think of major crashes, you have to consider multiple calls. Medical emergencies happen quite often as well, whether they make the news or not.
I think that multiple calls for the same emergency likely inflate the numbers quite a bit. But, of course, they all have to be answered so it is probably a valid statistic. This is better than nobody calling because of the "bystander effect".

I have only called 911 once in recent memory when a guy broke his leg badly during a recreational soccer game. He wasn't even hit by another player - he planted his foot to pivot and we could hear the snap across the field. I was on the sideline sucking wind, so I was nearest to a phone.

Hopefully no calls like this (audio):

http://www.break.com/index/burger_king_911.html

Or like this (web page):

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...rgerking1.html

For people like this, however, I think that charges should be laid just for being ignorant.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 2:15 PM

McIvor Campaign

So I asked the question in the Calatrava Bridge thread, but figure this is a more appropriate thread. If McIvor does run for Mayor, what key issues/points do you think he will campaign on as being different from Bronconnier? Obviously he will go the more fiscally conservative route, but what services/programs/projects do you think he will propose dropping in order to save money?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 6:22 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
He won't have to get into specifics. Just throw out the typical lines about being fiscally prudent, and watching out for the best interests of taxpayers. etc. Add in some examples (the bridge) and he paints a picture of how good he will be and how bad Bronco has been. He doesn't have to lie, or even get into specifics, just create the scenario that Bronco has been asleep at the financial switch and he is the only guy who can correct it.

Right or wrong, that's my guess as to how he will play it.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 7:30 PM

If McIver decides to run against Bronco, he will have plenty of material to target the mayor with. 6 percent annual tax hikes during a recession, park and ride fees, "designer bridges", Council pay hikes, Plan|it|, etc...the media has portrayed such issues in a very one-sided fashion. I think it could be a very nasty campaign. However it will also force McIver to articulate a vision of why he would be a good Mayor of Calgary, other than that he's cheap. He's had it far too easy in recent months - being portrayed as a taxpayer's hero in the media without having to articulate how he would do things differently.

On the bright side, if there is ever a contest that will stimulate interest in municipal politics, this is it. With that matchup, with two clearly opposing views of the city, surely everyone even remotely interested in municipal politics will come out to vote.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 8:16 PM
Motorized Hambeast

Like, what 30% voter turnout?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild wild west View Post
If McIver decides to run against Bronco, he will have plenty of material to target the mayor with. 6 percent annual tax hikes during a recession, park and ride fees, "designer bridges", Council pay hikes, Plan|it|, etc...the media has portrayed such issues in a very one-sided fashion. I think it could be a very nasty campaign. However it will also force McIver to articulate a vision of why he would be a good Mayor of Calgary, other than that he's cheap. He's had it far too easy in recent months - being portrayed as a taxpayer's hero in the media without having to articulate how he would do things differently.
And I think this is a big problem for him. All it will take is one debate or question to ask him what his vision is, and people will see that perhaps he doesn't really have one. Or, it is that of a very plain, utilitarian city that is run with only the most basic of services because with any sort of tax cut, that is what we could afford.

I am surprised when people think that the Mayor and council are being fiscally irresponsible when implementing tax hikes and charging more user fees. Do they really think they want to do this, simply for the sake of doing it? It is because it is necessary to pay for the services provided in the city. Now, if citizens don't want those services, I guess they might have a viable alternative for that kind of government (or at least Mayor) in McIvor.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 5:20 PM
Watchin em grow

More reason for Bigtime to run. He can come up the middle and grab all the votes

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 6:54 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
And I think this is a big problem for him. All it will take is one debate or question to ask him what his vision is, and people will see that perhaps he doesn't really have one.
I hope that next year's Mayoral Candidate Debate is better organized and actually a series of debates. I'm thinking larger auditoriums and one in each quadrant plus one grand debate downtown. Oh yeah, and all of them have to be easily accessed by transit (i.e. on an LRT line).
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 7:53 PM

^ Debates are ad-hoc, a negoatiation between all the candidates and the media. Of course, minor candidates will aren't really taken into account that much, unless one of the front runners insists on their inclusion.

You also have mini-debates, forums, hosted by issue or demographic specific groups aswell.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 11:52 PM

Just got this in my e-mail:

Quote:
Mayor Dave Bronconnier - Leading with Passion and Purpose
In the past 2 years we've made major strides in ensuring we put unprecedented resources into Calgary's infrastructure - from the new West leg of the LRT, police stations, fire halls and recreational facilities. Insuring that Calgary's property taxes remain the lowest of any city in the country, while investing in the protective services, transit and environmental protection.

But there's more to do with October 2010 just around the corner. Please sign up to stay informed.

Stay Informed

We are in the process of gearing up and pulling the Dave Bronconnier team together again and we need your continued support!

Thanks again,

Dave

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 8:13 PM

Figured I'll just toss this one here. Starting this Wednesday all Standing Policy Committee meetings will be webcast in addition to the regular council meetings which have been webcast for over a year now.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 8:41 PM
Round Head

Is planning commission included as a Standing Committee? I don't think so...

LPT is the Standing committee for planning issues.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 2:57 AM
Round Head

Wanna start using this thread again and close down the election thread?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 3:35 AM

totally forgot about this one,.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 1:48 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

I found the thread!

Anyone going to the swearing in on Monday evening? I guess the public is welcome in the atrium, it starts at 7pm and the new council will come out to chat and hang out with everyone in the atrium at 7:30.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 3:54 PM

I'm going to try and make it, its nice not having any work this week

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 4:14 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
He won't have to get into specifics. Just throw out the typical lines about being fiscally prudent, and watching out for the best interests of taxpayers. etc. ... He doesn't have to lie, or even get into specifics...

Right or wrong, that's my guess as to how he will play it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild wild west View Post
On the bright side, if there is ever a contest that will stimulate interest in municipal politics, this is it. With that matchup, with two clearly opposing views of the city, surely everyone even remotely interested in municipal politics will come out to vote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
All it will take is one debate or question to ask him what his vision is, and people will see that perhaps he doesn't really have one. Or, it is that of a very plain, utilitarian city that is run with only the most basic of services because with any sort of tax cut, that is what we could afford.

I am surprised when people think that the Mayor and council are being fiscally irresponsible when implementing tax hikes and charging more user fees. Do they really think they want to do this, simply for the sake of doing it? It is because it is necessary to pay for the services provided in the city. Now, if citizens don't want those services, I guess they might have a viable alternative for that kind of government (or at least Mayor) in McIvor.
Interesting comments from a year ago, before most of you had ever heard the word "Nenshi".

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 10:39 PM
Editor

Looks like the new mayor is a supporter of the Bow River Flow.

From Nenshi's flckr account

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy