HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

1050 Somerset Street West in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 3:51 PM

2 Robinson Ave | 2x89m + 2x102m | 2x28f + 2x32f | Approved

A friend told me that the Iranian Cultural Center , near the Sandy Hill Arena, was sold to a Montreal Developer and that he intends to build a student residence on the land.

It is the first I have heard of it. Does anyone else know any details about this?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 4:12 PM

I believe this is the development you're referring to. There is a thread on here somewhere but searching this site is too frustrating to bother. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...king-1.5438117

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 4:15 PM

Not sure, but I don't think that's it. There are several apartments proposed for further in along Robinson. I think at least one is already under construction, no?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureWickedCity View Post
I believe this is the development you're referring to. There is a thread on here somewhere but searching this site is too frustrating to bother. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...king-1.5438117
No --that is about four small buildings on Robinson Av. The former Iranian Center is nearby ---near Mann and Lees and the Sandy Hill Arena. I went by it this morning and the building has been torn down. Here is a photo of the site before the building was torn down.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 5:11 PM
You call that a knife?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadingEdgeBoomer View Post
A friend told me that the Iranian Cultural Center , near the Sandy Hill Arena, was sold to a Montreal Developer and that he intends to build a student residence on the land.

It is the first I have heard of it. Does anyone else know any details about this?
Can't find the official application on Ottawa.ca but I found this PDF on Action Sandy Hill website for a community consultation held June 2020

And according to this "confidential" but easily found on Google legal document, purchased by 11172765 Canada Inc., an affiliate of Place Doree Real Estate Holdings (headquartered in Montreal) for $26.5M. That's one million less than the U of O offered but Place Doree had fewer conditions. Other bids made by Shenkman, Minto, and Regional

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 5:17 PM

I think Ottawa developers are only capable of counting to 28.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 5:18 PM

Wow, that's a lot of student residence. It would have quite an impact.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Wow, that's a lot of student residence. It would have quite an impact.
Yes---No wonder that uOttawa feels that they can tear down the old residences on campus.This one should fill their needs for a long time to come.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 6:12 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

2 Robinson Ave | ?m | 4x28f | Proposed

A few early details:

Architect: rla Architecture

Total Residential Units = 1,587 Units
1BR Units = 1,004 Units
2BR Units = 5 83 Units

Total no. of parking spaces = 6 45 Spaces

Siteplan:

Renderings:

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 6:27 PM

Note the area between Lees Av and Robinson Avenue, called Robinson Bowl, used to be owned by the City, but now is owned by uOttawa.

And uOttawa has been hoping to get the Sandy Hill arena lands from the NCC to build a new athletic complex.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 12:39 AM

I honestly feel like screaming into a pillow. Roderick Lazy and his magical clone stamp tool strike again.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I honestly feel like screaming into a pillow. Roderick Lazy and his magical clone stamp tool strike again.
Blame the developers who keep hiring him. They could hire someone else.

Sometimes I think that I should defend Rod because we have the same last name--and because I am retired and Lazy.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
"This is just the massing, this isn't the finished product" -> Changes almost nothing for the site plan submission.

It is kind of different in its massiveness, like a statement against subtlety. It reminds me somehow of a communist palace... or like a giant hand sticking out of the ground with 27-storey fingers.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 9:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-modal View Post
"This is just the massing, this isn't the finished product"
That's what he always says, but the design remains unchanged 90% if the time after final submission (5% gets better, 5% becomes far, far worse).

Overall terrible proposal. At the very least, the City should demand some sort of more direct link to Lees Station.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 3:13 PM

The overall design is not bad, this looks like Lees 2.0 (but obviously newer and better looking). It's a lot of units but I'm sure they'd be able to rent all if not most of these, there's a lot of pent-up demand for student housing or housing close to OttawaU.

Sure it's all 27 stories but this is next to the 417 and won't add anything to the CBD or "downtown" skyline anyway...

My only questions;
Would it kill them to vary the heights of the towers a bit? 22, 26, 30, 34? or something?

Transit, this would have no easy access to transit being in the middle between Lees and uOttawa stations. Not sure everyone will be pleased to walk 1km+ to class or across 417 overpass to access Lees Station. Since this is a lot of units, this should be addressed.

Grocery store/amenities. Surely they can't expect all students to sign up to the meal plans and to my knowledge the closest grocery store would be on Rideau Street (a few km away), would be nice to see space set aside for this kind of retail.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Transit, this would have no easy access to transit being in the middle between Lees and uOttawa stations. Not sure everyone will be pleased to walk 1km+ to class or across 417 overpass to access Lees Station. Since this is a lot of units, this should be addressed.

Grocery store/amenities. Surely they can't expect all students to sign up to the meal plans and to my knowledge the closest grocery store would be on Rideau Street (a few km away), would be nice to see space set aside for this kind of retail.
Transit access really isn't bad. It's about 400 metres to Lees, and the bridge isn't bad to walk on since it's been redone and has wider sidewalks and bike lanes.

Grocery stores are tougher. I think the closest is probably Loblaws on Isabella, and that is just under 2 km. The organic grocer on Main is a bit closer, but not a full grocery store.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
Transit access really isn't bad. It's about 400 metres to Lees, and the bridge isn't bad to walk on since it's been redone and has wider sidewalks and bike lanes.
Its closer to a 500m+ walk. One of the big problems with Lees Station is they put the TPSS in the way of where you would add a northeastern entrance to the station, which makes it a longer walking distance for people coming from the east/north. It doesn't make much of a difference now, but it will make it much more difficult to integrate any sort of pedestrian bridge across the 417 to/from the north.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-modal View Post
Its closer to a 500m+ walk. One of the big problems with Lees Station is they put the TPSS in the way of where you would add a northeastern entrance to the station, which makes it a longer walking distance for people coming from the east/north. It doesn't make much of a difference now, but it will make it much more difficult to integrate any sort of pedestrian bridge across the 417 to/from the north.
I got 430m when I mapped it to the front entrance of the station. Even 500m is only a 5 min walk or so, which I’d consider pretty transit accessible.

But you raise an interesting point. It does look a fair bit shorter to cross at the existing traffic light and follow the MUP into the station. Not sure I got what you meant. Are you saying that it isn’t possible to create an entrance from the path?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2020, 11:05 PM

Disappointed with the location of the TPSS. It seems the Confed Line was sppeciecifically designed to prohibit any sort of improvement to the RoW and stations.

Worse yet is the proposed design at 2 Robinson. No regard for design esthetics or urban planning. Cheaper to produce one architectural plan for 4 buildings I guess.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2020, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
I got 430m when I mapped it to the front entrance of the station. Even 500m is only a 5 min walk or so, which I’d consider pretty transit accessible.

But you raise an interesting point. It does look a fair bit shorter to cross at the existing traffic light and follow the MUP into the station. Not sure I got what you meant. Are you saying that it isn’t possible to create an entrance from the path?
Theoretically they could fairly easily add a faregate from the MUP directly to the WB train platform.

But that raises another issue: it is actually impossible to cross the street as a pedestrian at the signalized intersection of Lees & the WB417 off-ramp:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa