HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 8:09 PM
arf

^And play football in December. No. How is Toronto not affected? They would play where now that they are at BMO?

^^Host countries do not need to qualify, they are given a spot. I'm not sure how that concept continues in multi-country hosting, but that is how it has been. And there have been some dud countries in South Africa ranked around 60th when they hosted and Qatar is currently ranked around 90th being in the tournament.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 8:10 PM

^ Surely they would host WC games in Toronto at Skydome and not at BMO?!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 8:21 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Surely they would host WC games in Toronto at Skydome and not at BMO?!
Skydome is going to be renovated in a couple years to be baseball specific and it's a really crappy place to play soccer. BMO is already grass and an expansion to 40,000-45,000 seats won't be a problem and will be needed by then anyway, sufficient for early matches. The Big O or BC Place stadiums can be used for bigger later matches.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Skydome is going to be renovated in a couple years to be baseball specific and it's a really crappy place to play soccer. BMO is already grass and an expansion to 40,000-45,000 seats won't be a problem and will be needed by then anyway, sufficient for early matches. The Big O or BC Place stadiums can be used for bigger later matches.
I can't see Rogers significantly altering the structure of Skydome, so even if it's tailored for baseball I'm sure it wouldn't take all that much to convert it to soccer mode... but that said, I guess if you can get BMO up to 45,000+ seats then perhaps it starts to make more sense.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 9:11 PM
arf

It makes way more sense to me. I wouldn't give Rogers any piece of the World Cup pie anyway. I'm so bitter and petty.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 10:03 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
Toronto and Vancouver are givens, the real questions are whether they go with Edmonton or Montreal, and if they do the latter, whether they renovate Olympic or expand Saputo.
Olympic Stadium will be 50+ years old by the time 2026 World Cup rolls around. IF Canada is fortunate enough to receive more than two hosting stadium slots i'd be very surprised if Montreal was chosen over Edmonton. Vancouver (BC Place) and Toronto (BMO) are the most obvious choices for hosting facilities. BC Place already effectively meets FIFA requirements and BMO can add additional (or permanent) seating easily in advance of 2026. SkyDome would be an abysmal venue by comparison.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 12:24 AM

Would we really host a WC match at Olympic Stadium? It's a dump and will be worse in a decade. A God knows getting it up to snuff for an international event would be a massive waste of dough. Commonwealth Stadium would be a much better choice.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 2:26 PM

^ Commonwealth is two years younger than Olympic... not much of a difference, really, they're basically the same age. Even though Edmonton would support the WC to the max, I suspect that Montreal's proximity to other large centres will carry the day and the organizing committee will pick Olympic Stadium. In what way is Olympic Stadium lacking?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 5:37 PM

Commonwealth already has all the amenities of any brand new stadium. Olympic stadium doesn't.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 6:04 PM

OK, but what exactly are we talking about? I mean, Olympic Stadium was until a little over a decade ago a host to a major league team so presumably it has a lot of skyboxes, nice clubhouses, appropriate lighting, etc. I'm not sure that it lacks much that couldn't be installed in a hurry if the North American bid ends up being successful.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 7:45 PM
Go Chiefs!

As long as Toronto does not build a 80k stadium, Olympic Stadium will remain the most logical option for any major international event in the country. I cannot believe you guys have this discussion since the topic has been beaten to death.
Quote:
Stadiums must be able to accommodate a 20,000-square-foot (1,900 m2) hospitality village no more than 150 metres from the stadium. They must also have a capacity of at least 40,000 for group and second round matches and 60,000 for quarter finals and beyond, meaning the only existing stadium capable of hosting the World Cup Final would be Montreal's Olympic Stadium, which its current soccer configuration seats 66,308.
BC Place would have been perfect if it had a bigger capacity (10k bigger).

Forget Edmonton and Commonwealth, the stadium itself is not made for soccer and there is not enough accommodation for the big crowds expected.

Anyway a joint bid with USA and Mexico would mean maybe we get a QF at the big O and that's it. We cannot compete with the other 2 countries in terms of stadiums.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
As long as Toronto does not build a 80k stadium, Olympic Stadium will remain the most logical option for any major international event in the country. I cannot believe you guys have this discussion since the topic has been beaten to death.

BC Place would have been perfect if it had a bigger capacity (10k bigger).

Forget Edmonton and Commonwealth, the stadium itself is not made for soccer and there is not enough accommodation for the big crowds expected.

Anyway a joint bid with USA and Mexico would mean maybe we get a QF at the big O and that's it. We cannot compete with the other 2 countries in terms of stadiums.
There must be some flexibility with those capacity requirements because there were 2 stadiums in Brazil with capacities of 58 000 and 52 000 that hosted SF and QF matches.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_F...rld_Cup_venues

So Vancouver could at least host a QF match. That would be huge for this city.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 10:17 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
There must be some flexibility with those capacity requirements because there were 2 stadiums in Brazil with capacities of 58 000 and 52 000 that hosted SF and QF matches.
So Vancouver could at least host a QF match. That would be huge for this city.
There is definitely flexibility in capacity requirements throughout the tournament.

That being said i'd be surprised if Canada was given a QF/SF game. I'm guessing Round Robin and out. We'll likely know a bit more on Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Olympic is hilariously outdated for international events and it's remarkable we still have to argue the point. I can't imagine it'll be in much better shape in nine years. BC Place is the most logical landing point for international FIFA/CONCACAF events given its hosting history, amenities, and size.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 1:10 AM

I don't really see the appetite for Canada to spend $billions on new/renovated stadiums to host a few round robin games if North America including Canada were rewarded World Cup Soccer. The times of government sinking billions of tax payers money into one time sporting events is a thing of the past.

Olympic stadium in Montreal is falling apart as it is and will be in even worse condition in a decade, its never even mentioned by Soccer Canada anymore when talks of World Cup in Canada.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/12/06...ld-cup-in-2026

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...says-1.3016520

I could see BC Place in Vancouver a shoe-in for hosting World Cup in North America, and it would be typical for Toronto to be bequeathed spot for a hosting site as well but does it really make sense to have any games at BMO when there is a fully complete & World soccer tested-ready stadium over twice the size in Edmonton right now? Usually countries that host World Cup use their main/biggest/best stadiums when hosting these events and not be preferential according to cities within countries

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 1:37 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
I don't really see the appetite for Canada to spend $billions on new/renovated stadiums to host a few round robin games if North America including Canada were rewarded World Cup Soccer. The times of government sinking billions of tax payers money into one time sporting events is a thing of the past.

Olympic stadium in Montreal is falling apart as it is and will be in even worse condition in a decade, its never even mentioned by Soccer Canada anymore when talks of World Cup in Canada.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/12/06...ld-cup-in-2026

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...says-1.3016520

I could see BC Place in Vancouver a shoe-in for hosting World Cup in North America, and it would be typical for Toronto to be bequeathed spot for a hosting site as well but does it really make sense to have any games at BMO when there is a fully complete & World soccer tested-ready stadium over twice the size in Edmonton right now? Usually countries that host World Cup use their main/biggest/best stadiums when hosting these events and not be preferential according to cities within countries
It's not about preferential treatment for cities. BMO Field even if currently smaller is considerably better for soccer than Edmonton's stadium, heck it's hands down the best soccer stadium in North America (Canada/USA). Also, BMO by then would need to be expanded anyway so the timing is great. BC Place and the Big O are both going to be used extensively for soccer games in the future so it makes perfect sense to also use them.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 6:18 AM

Why will BMO need to be expanded by then?

Will FIFA allow for World Cup matches to be played on artificial turf? If not, the BC Placeis certainly out. I'd imagine they'd have the same difficulties as Skydome with installing real grass. Outside of BMO, Commonwealth is probably the most logical, seeing as it can easily be converted to natural grass, and is one of the largest stadiums, if not the largest with additional capacity added.

I'd like to see what the federal government would be willing to put in to this. Cause if it is then putting in tens of millions to retrofit a Montreal Olympic Stadium, or BC Place, then I definitely wouldn't support a bid by Canada, even if it is a joint bid. Especially if our team can't legitimately qualify either.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 8:11 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post

Will FIFA allow for World Cup matches to be played on artificial turf? If not, the BC Placeis certainly out. I'd imagine they'd have the same difficulties as Skydome with installing real grass. Outside of BMO, Commonwealth is probably the most logical, seeing as it can easily be converted to natural grass, and is one of the largest stadiums, if not the largest with additional capacity added.

I'd like to see what the federal government would be willing to put in to this. Cause if it is then putting in tens of millions to retrofit a Montreal Olympic Stadium, or BC Place, then I definitely wouldn't support a bid by Canada, even if it is a joint bid. Especially if our team can't legitimately qualify either.
BMO Field was originally 18,000 seats, growing demand caused it to be expanded to 30,000 within 10 years. Attendance is still growing quickly, another similar expansion within the next 10 years is quite feasible. TFC averaged 26,583 last year (not including playoffs), a 13.5% increase from the year before, which was also a double digit increase from the year before that. This year looks like a similar increase, and the stadium will have too few seats for the demand by next year.

The fact that the canopies are all designed for easy expansion shows that this is a business case that has already been planned for. Federal help, will just be the cherry on top, I'm sure all levels of government will welcome the greater tax revenue.

BMO Field last night (even with Leafs game the same night):

Last edited by mistercorporate; Apr 9, 2017 at 9:03 AM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 2:21 PM

Pretty impressive to almost filling the stadium when at the same time the Leafs are trying to clinch a playoff spot, Matthews is trying to get his 40th goal and with the overall great young prospects creating excitement for the team.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post

I agree, & does it really matter if BMO is able to shoe horn in more seats, If North America gets the World Cup there won't be any stadiums used that will be less than 50 or 60 thousand seats, otherwise Regina and Winnipeg with stadiums ready to expandable to World Cup Soccer requirements would be the next best options in Canada. Rogers screwed Toronto of getting a hosting spot with the now baseball exclusive Skydome that really was that city's only option.

Soccer Canada is going to use the best of its resources it has in hand and use Commonwealth and BC place. Both are in the minimum seating capacity range for the expanded event and the best hope for Canada to host quarter or semi final games. Both have open roofs to allow for grass to grow for the World Cup soccer requirements and both stadiums are International proven for World Soccer.

Commonwealth Stadium
http://www.communitypro.com/news/pre...wealth-stadium

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 5:16 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
heck it's hands down the best soccer stadium in North America (Canada/USA).
Based on what? Don't get ahead of yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Pretty impressive to almost filling the stadium when at the same time the Leafs are trying to clinch a playoff spot, Matthews is trying to get his 40th goal and with the overall great young prospects creating excitement for the team.
26,812 out for a game in April against an expansion team when the Leafs are starting their first playoffs in years and the Raptors third in conference. For me, i'm interested to see how things go this summer if the Jays have a lame duck season (currently off to a sluggish 1-4 start).

The days of assuming TFC were a flash-in-the-pan-thing are starting to wither, i'd imagine.

Quote:
If North America gets the World Cup there won't be any stadiums used that will be less than 50 or 60 thousand seats,
We don't have any confirmation of that.

Quote:
otherwise Regina and Winnipeg with stadiums ready to expandable to World Cup Soccer requirements would be the next best options in Canada.
Canada likely won't be receiving more than two hosting slots for the WC. Toronto and Vancouver are obvious first choices, followed by Edmonton and Montreal. In that order. Regina doesn't have any history hosting any FIFA/CONCACAF events. Ottawa is ahead of both of them i'd imagine but it won't be coming down to that.

It would have to take a pretty ridiculous number of circumstances to occur for Canada's first ever World Cup hosting duties to not include Toronto. Any potential issues with BMO (size, whatever) can easily be remedied given that this WC is set for 2026.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada