HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 12:47 AM

CitizenM | xx' | 13 floors | Dead

Another proposed hotel (via Portland Maps):

Quote:
Applicant is proposing a thirteen-story, 104,077 GSF, 264-key hotel with 4,420 SF of ground floor retail. Hotel drop-off/valet zone proposed on SW 10th Ave. Loading dock is proposed on SW 10th Ave.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 6:44 AM
A before E

I knew it was a matter of time before someone redeveloped that site. Though I am surprised it is just a single use hotel building. I figured we would get something mixed use, but it is a small lot with retail and hotel functions on the first floor, it would make it difficult to add in any residential or commercial. Also 10th is gonna be a nightmare to deal with for those poor valets.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 4:20 PM

Another hotel proposal...huh?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
10th is gonna be a nightmare to deal with for those poor valets.
Beyond a nightmare. They are proposing to have valet/drop-off and loading on a very busy street, at a very busy intersection that includes the streetcar. No F-ing way will PBOT allow that to happen. They'll probably need to do all that on the sliver of Oak between the bull testicle sculpture and their site.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 5:12 PM

It's a CitizenM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 5:36 PM

Portland has sure turned a corner. The only CitizenM hotels in the US are in NYC. The rest are in Europe and there is a hotel planned for Seattle. Red by Radisson - Portland is 2d in the US. When the Porter was announced, Portland was one of the first half dozen for the new Curio brand. This is not the second tier city that it once was, at least in the hospitality market. Remember those arguments that the convention center hotel would destroy the hotel industry here? Didn't seem to happen. The amount of hotel rooms that have or will come online during this decade is amazing.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 8:20 PM

Here's a link to the design review application for their Seattle hotel. CitizenM prefabricates all their hotel rooms, and the exterior express of their hotels tend to be pretty similar from city to city, so it should give you a decent idea of what to expect.

Here are photos
of the modules being installed in Seattle.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 11:19 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
Beyond a nightmare. They are proposing to have valet/drop-off and loading on a very busy street, at a very busy intersection that includes the streetcar. No F-ing way will PBOT allow that to happen. They'll probably need to do all that on the sliver of Oak between the bull testicle sculpture and their site.
Having read about the company's philosophy at the Citizen M website, I would be surprised if a valet service were offered. They don't even have reception desks. It is all self-checkin at kiosks. No restaurant. No room service.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 12:38 AM

The CitizenM at Amsterdam Schiphol airport is great.
Small, tidy, clever rooms, self-serve check in, and walk to the terminal to catch a flight.

Great spot (though spendy for what you get).
Wonder if it would do well in Portland... not 100% sure.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 2:30 AM

At last this site is being developed - it seems so strange that a vitamin world shop occupied it for so long.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 4:37 AM

I’ve stayed at their Glasgow, London Bankside and Amsterdam Schiphol Airport hotels. None of them has valet service, though the Schiphol hotel does have a drop off area. Given their target market I would also be surprised if a significant percentage of their customers were arriving in their own car or a rental. Uber / Lyft drops will probably be high though, and I’d agree that the remnant portion of SW Oak is probably a better choice than 10th.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 6:15 AM

I've stayed at their Paris hotel. It's perfect if you are traveling alone. I loved it. I don't need a large room if I'm on my own. Someone mentioned that they don't have a restaurant. They did have a restaurant serving a buffet dinner and breakfast. It was expensive for what you get but if you don't want to go elsewhere for food, it works.

Their check-in uses a bank of self-service kiosks but there is a person standing there with an iPad to help out.

Also, I read their second Seattle hotel will not be prefab.

Will it do well in Portland? Potentially. With so many nearly identical hotels being built, this one will stand out. The location is good. The question is how popular the small rooms will be.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 12:27 PM

Appears there was a new application on this lot last week for design review:
Quote:
Exterior and Interior alterations of an existing 4,976sf space - Change of Use (Mechanical, Electrical and plumbing). New Storefront, Exterior Finishes, Sign Beams, Canopy, Patio
Im guessing this means the hotel is dead?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 4:49 PM

Oof, this one hurts. Way too valuable of a spot to be a one story building with a parking lot.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 12:36 AM

Too bad, citizenM hotels are cool, perfect for spot.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 4:57 AM
A before E

That's a shame, I am always hopeful that Powell's Square will one day redevelop with a number of highrises in that area.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland